What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Zelda Ocarina of time Community Retexture Project Discussion topic

nebuLa_10

First off, I want to say magnificent job to all the people who participated in the retexturing. I just have a quick question about folder hierarchy. I did noticed a few incorrectly spelled folders such as "Enemys" and "Friendlys". I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference because I believe it just looks for all .pngs with the associated rom. However, I just wanted to hear some insight on how it should be structured and whether it made a difference?

This is kind of unrelated, but is there a way to make it load textures in real-time without any pausing? For example, whenever the sky transitions, there is about a second pause. Also, when opening the menu screen, it takes probably 4 seconds to load. When I tick the option "cache textures" on the latest 1964 r75 plugin release, it wouldn't load hi-res textures properly. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Wondered what the optimal settings for Project64 or 1964 would be to reduce the latency. I'm running winxp sp3, 2 GB ram, amd x2, nVidia 7950 GT, and project64 1.6 with Rice Video 6.1.4. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
if you want decent performance, use glide64.

theres a number of performance issues (even without HRT) in rice video, particularly with the frame limiter.....

MasterGunz2345

First off, I want to say magnificent job to all the people who participated in the retexturing. I just have a quick question about folder hierarchy. I did noticed a few incorrectly spelled folders such as "Enemys" and "Friendlys". I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference because I believe it just looks for all .pngs with the associated rom. However, I just wanted to hear some insight on how it should be structured and whether it made a difference?

This is kind of unrelated, but is there a way to make it load textures in real-time without any pausing? For example, whenever the sky transitions, there is about a second pause. Also, when opening the menu screen, it takes probably 4 seconds to load. When I tick the option "cache textures" on the latest 1964 r75 plugin release, it wouldn't load hi-res textures properly. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Wondered what the optimal settings for Project64 or 1964 would be to reduce the latency. I'm running winxp sp3, 2 GB ram, amd x2, nVidia 7950 GT, and project64 1.6 with Rice Video 6.1.4. Thanks in advance.

Yeah the loading time thing happens to me as well, thats what I was discussing before. As far as we know, I don't think theres a way to fix it so far, yet I still didn't try out the new Rice Video D-D posted. So yeah, what squall_leonhart said, might as well use glide64 since it's probably the best for the performance, and it doesn't even have those terrible loading times. Although if you look back, I had some texture problems, but they explained how to fix it, but I couldn't since I couldn't understand.

Last edited:

chaoszerox

hires_texture
Thank you for putting the revision number on r75 DD.
800CF97C:Exception in emulation thread >.< while running around with v5 loaded
1964 emu v0.9.9

Also I had no idea you're a committer for Dolphin xD love that emu

Last edited:

Railroads

I still have Fullscreen Problems with Rice R75, the Fullscreen mode only works If I use a direct-multiply Resolution of the N64, so 640*480 and 1280*960 works, otherwise it crahses. But this Resolutions look really odd on my 1680*1050 Screen:( .

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Ati Radeon HD4870 1GB with Catalyst 10.8
Windows 7*64
Project 64 1.6/1964 1.1 ---- Both Emulators don't work
My Rom is 1.0 USA (I like the Fire Temple chant=] )

KrazyTrumpeter

Reason is the texture caching. By default, windows restricts the memory that can be occupied by one process to 1GB. As the decompressed textures in memory will need more than that, the plugin crashes.

Fixes:
either turn off texture caching or let windows assign more memory to the process. Somewhere in the 1964 community thread someone posted how to do that. If I remember right I posted a link to that instruction somewhen. So search my posts & you'll find it.

Exactly. The texture caching of Rice is still rudimentary. (I think, I also explained it in the plugin configuration option, if you enable hints & hover over the caching option). It still lacks the implementation of on the fly texture compression.

It was me who figured out how to let the 1964 emu use more RAM. I could only get it to work with r35, though that was a separate DirectX issue. Here's the post:

http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=432869&postcount=2812

This allows you to use texture caching, which eliminates the horrible load times while playing. No more stutter, and I get perfect frame rates with r35 of the 1964 vid plugin while using 1964 v0.9.9. This fix should work with any plugin, as the only thing changed is the emulator exe.

edit: Small update. r75 is still failboat on DX initialization for me. Running win7 x64 with latest DirectX and a 9800 GTX with the latest drivers.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

@Railroads, they wouldn't of, its a problem with the ini system I added in to replace the registry dependency :| I really need someone who knows what there doing to do some programming cause my programming skills suck.

MasterGunz2345

Wow, I still haven't tried out this Rice Video thing. Im about to give it a shot. I think if you enable that Cache Hi Res Textures options, it'll cause the emulator to crash. Well thats what happens to me, but I'll let you guys know what happens to me. As of right now, I heard something called Glide 64 Easy Background got released on this forums, but didn't have time to read what it does exactly.

KrazyTrumpeter

Wow, I still haven't tried out this Rice Video thing. Im about to give it a shot. I think if you enable that Cache Hi Res Textures options, it'll cause the emulator to crash. Well thats what happens to me, but I'll let you guys know what happens to me. As of right now, I heard something called Glide 64 Easy Background got released on this forums, but didn't have time to read what it does exactly.

Check my post on the previous page about how to fix the crashing issue when Hi-Res caching is enabled.

MasterGunz2345

Check my post on the previous page about how to fix the crashing issue when Hi-Res caching is enabled.

Thats for emu 1964, I use Pj64, unless it works on Pj64 as well. Plus, seems a bit to difficult, and the link to that Fall out 3 doesnt work, which idk what fall out 3 has to do with this. I have no idea how to work this Explorer Suite at all.

Last edited:

KrazyTrumpeter

Thats for emu 1964, I use Pj64, unless it works on Pj64 as well. Plus, seems a bit to difficult, and the link to that Fall out 3 doesnt work, which idk what fall out 3 has to do with this. I have no idea how to work this Explorer Suite at all.

It should work on PJ64 as well, but I really recommend switching to 1964 v0.9.9

Ah, it looks like that file was taken down because someone was bitching about its freeware status. Anyway, here's what you need to do.
THIS ONLY WORKS WITH R35! LATER VERSIONS OF THE RICE PLUGIN CAUSE g_NULL ERROR MESSAGE WHEN HI-RES CACHING IS ENABLED!

You can download the needed tool at this link:
http://www.ntcore.com/files/ExplorerSuite.exe
Install this!

Next, right click on your emulator exe and click "Open with CFF Explorer"
***NOTE FOR VISTA/WIN7 USERS***
If you don't have UAC turned off, you will need to manually open CFF Explorer and run it as administrator, then open your emulator exe from within the CFF explorer
Now, in the new window that opens, click "File Header" in the left hand pane.
Next, in the right hand pane, click the button in the bottom right that says "Click here"
A new window will now appear with a bunch of checkboxes. Simply check the one that says "App can handle >2gb addressset
Click ok
Close out the program, and say yes to saving and yes to overwriting original file.

Voila! No more crashing when hi-res is enabled.

If for whatever reason this doesn't work for you on PJ64 (it did for me) then switch to 1964 and it will DEFINITELY work.

Last edited:

MasterGunz2345

It should work on PJ64 as well, but I really recommend switching to 1964 v0.9.9

Ah, it looks like that file was taken down because someone was bitching about its freeware status. Anyway, here's what you need to do.

You can download the needed tool at this link:
http://www.ntcore.com/files/ExplorerSuite.exe
Install this!

Next, right click on your emulator exe and click "Open with CFF Explorer"
Now, in the new window that opens, click "File Header" in the left hand pane.
Next, in the right hand pane, click the button in the bottom right that says "Click here"
A new window will now appear with a bunch of checkboxes. Simply check the one that says "App can handle >2gb addressset
Click ok
Close out the program, and say yes to saving and yes to overwriting original file.

Voila! No more crashing when hi-res is enabled.

If for whatever reason this doesn't work for you on PJ64 (it did for me) then switch to 1964 and it will DEFINITELY work.

Ok i got everything else right, but when I save, it can't overwrite the original file. Says the same for 1964. The only thing I can do is save it with another name, should I just do that?

Last edited:

KrazyTrumpeter

Hrm, yeah that's weird.

But yeah, save as a different name, move your original exe to another location, then rename the new exe to Project64.exe, that should do the trick.

MasterGunz2345

K Pj64 crashes when it gets to texture 2038, so now I'm gonna try 1964

EDIT: Ok now 1964 was loading the textures just fine till it gave me a message saying "g_NULL" then it crashes

Honestly, I hate when these stupid ass messages come up just when you think everything is going to work. Im not sure if this is the Rice video plugin doing this, or it's my computer. If it Rice, I got that Rice R75 D-D provided us.

Last edited:

KrazyTrumpeter

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention.

Don't use r75, lol. r35 is the last version I was able to get working with hi-res caching. You can find that easily in the plugins forum, it's in the first post in the 1964 devtalk thread.

http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=49671

edited my previous post with walkthrough instructions to show only r35 works

Last edited:

MasterGunz2345

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention.

Don't use r75, lol. r35 is the last version I was able to get working with hi-res caching. You can find that easily in the plugins forum, it's in the first post in the 1964 devtalk thread.

http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=49671

Yeah it still crashes, wtf is going on here. Its that stupid Runtime Error. I have a gut feeling this is happening because of that overwritting problem in Explorer Suite, the fact it can't overwrite the original copy, and i have to make another. Im sure thats causing it.

EDIT: Ok if u got Windows 7 or vista, u must run CFF Explorer as Administrator, then it'll alllow u to overwrite the original copy. Ok now to test it out.

Last edited: