What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Zelda Ocarina of time Community Retexture Project Discussion topic

MasterGunz2345

Ok after trying a bunch of things just for 1964, it doesn't crash anymore, well Direct X. After it ran fine, and it was done loading the textures, I was surprised it worked, then BOOM "800F7C: Error emulation thread". Just when it was done for the first time loading the textures, with R35, and having Cache Hi Res enabled, and it didn't crash because of Direct X, i get that message. You know it's funny when I approach a new problem that prevents me from moving on when I just fixed the previous problem. I gave up on Pj64, so this was 1964 that gave me the error.

Last edited:

nebuLa_10

Excellent! I just tried Glide64_NapalmWX_R1.1 and it fixed the menu lag and much more. For the most part, I have not seen any major issues so far. However, I got a random crash, but I could play around with settings. Crash dump: Faulting application project64.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module glidehq.dll, version 1.0.0.25822, fault address 0x0003ad03. Thanks for the suggestion, Squall. :)

These are the current settings I'm using:

settingsglide64.jpg

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Set non-zero texture cache size when you use texture enhancement. Also, it's better to use WIP versions, since release build has a bug with background textures load.

MasterGunz2345

I tried out Nebula's settings, it seems to be worse for me. Some textures don't even show up. I rather just wait till someone can get the answer to the terrible loading time that works for everyone. Say Nebula, your using Pj64 or 1964?

nebuLa_10

Set non-zero texture cache size when you use texture enhancement. Also, it's better to use WIP versions, since release build has a bug with background textures load.

What are the details of that bug? Overall, it seems to work great for me. All of the things I noticed in Rice were fixed in glide64. I do notice that it crashes if "Force 16bpp textures" is unticked, but that has already been discussed in this thread.

EDIT: Going to try those fixes.

MasterGunz2345 said:
I tried out Nebula's settings, it seems to be worse for me. Some textures don't even show up. I rather just wait till someone can get the answer to the terrible loading time that works for everyone. Say Nebula, your using Pj64 or 1964?

I'm using Project64 1.6. Glide64 fixed the menu lag, dynamic sky lag, and all other lag basically (Opening doors, cut scenes, etc.)

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
What are the details of that bug? Overall, it seems to work great for me. All of the things I noticed in Rice were fixed in glide64. I do notice that it crashes if "Force 16bpp textures" is unticked, but that has already been discussed in this thread.

thats because it reduces the texture size by a large margin, which compress texture cache does but with less of a quality hit.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
start pj64, open glide64 options, and click the best quality button
set the texture pack type to none.
Start the game.
Pause emulation.
enter glide64 settings and enable the pack.
enable "Apply texture compression"
pack will load.
one loaded, open up the settings again to write the cache file(s)
hit ok again and unpause emulation.
Followed these instructions to the letter and PJ64 still crashes as soon as the textures load.

squall_leonhart

did you patch the exe, did you read the LAA thread?, you need to set x32 to allow 3GB user space, x64 will use up to 4GB with no changes necessary.

none of the emulators will run stable when this pack is chewing up 1.5GB's -1.9GB's easily on x32.

MasterGunz2345

Seems Enzo has a similar problem to me, except it doesn't crash on Glide 64. Only Rice does that to me. And yeah, you need to patch it with Large Address Aware from what Squall said. If you got a 32-bit system, you might want to go to the site and look more info about it, and tell you how to make it work with the 32-bit system. I didn't see a difference, maybe you will.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
did you patch the exe, did you read the LAA thread?, you need to set x32 to allow 3GB user space, x64 will use up to 4GB with no changes necessary.

none of the emulators will run stable when this pack is chewing up 1.5GB's -1.9GB's easily on x32.
On Win7 x64, 6gb DDR2, though I know one process can only grab 4gb. My gpu is a 4850, but my mobo's integrated gfx is nvidia, so I am in the unique position to try both company's drivers to check for a difference.

At least on an integrated nvidia chip with 256mb vram, the results are the same. I should also note that I have the same problem with 1964 r35, or at least a similar problem in that both crash pj64. Mudlord's Rice's 6.1.4 runs fine, but textures are missing (ex: the high-res effect textures on the logo, all backdrops...)

squall_leonhart

no, only LAA processes can use 4GB address space, 32b apps can only use the 2GB total address space, which is why users with many 32bpp apps open usually crash quickly when loading texture packs (like me previously)

once the patch is applied it can use up to 4GB

so all 32bpp apps + Pj64 w/o patch = 2GB combined limit
all 32bpp apps + Pj64 w patch = 4GB combined limit

this texture pack easily uses 2.5GB's of both private memory, and commit while loading the pack, possibly more.

squall_leonhart

also, in glide 64 using the radeon, don't leave the memory at auto, it doesn't work on ATI drivers since about 7.10

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
also, in glide 64 using the radeon, don't leave the memory at auto, it doesn't work on ATI drivers since about 7.10
That did it! Set it to 1024mb (the size of the radeon) and now textures load and things run beautifully: much better than they ever did on Rice/Mudlord 6.1.4.

Now if only we could force widescreen with glide64. But anyway~ Thanks a lot, Squall.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
a wide screen hack is possible, Zelda64 renders the cut off geometry.
Of this I am quite aware: Jabbo's 1.6 can hack the viewport to any aspect ratio. As far as I know, however, there is no video plugin that can both force widescreen and load high resolution textures... except maybe the pj64 1.7 "beta" versions of Jabbo's plugin which I seem to recall could load high-res textures, though in a different format from rice's.

squall_leonhart

after finding LAA wasn't enabled on my pj64 exe (must've disabled it without realising) i reenabled it and reloaded the texture pack.

This is why compression is required on 32bpp

Last edited:

demonkobra

I need an extremely detailed guide on how to use enhanced textures

I've read the whole thread and not one person has clearly explained the step by step method on how to get this all to work. if you try saying "go to the options and load the new textures" you're wrong because there is no option to do this even with advanced options

plugins seems to be missing options while others wont even load

OP
death--droid

death--droid

@demonkobra all these are effectively more of a beta, I'm probably going to write up an installer for the next pack, but then the next pack might not be out for a while.

I'm not exactly the best one to explain stuff, so hopefully someone else does.