What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Website Proposal - HiRes Central: Recruiting Staff

OP
V

Vanit

A friend of mine who's part of the staff for an emulation website, which I will not name until its finalised, has gratiously offered to host us within their website. We should have around 500mb disk space, and enough bandwidth to keep the website up with ease. Additionally there is support for mysql (iirc) among other things.

The Dave: Also keep in mind that even though I've given you the role of lead designer that you can't leave me out of the loop. I appreciate that you have already taken the initiative of running everything by me and I encourage you to continue in this manner. TS_Death_Angel has proven through his examples that he can code so its fine by me if you want him to be the one that helps you out :).

I'm glad that everyone is so keen on this website. This might just work!

The Dave

Oh no doubt I'm going to make decisions with your main approval. Just to guage TS Death Angel's knowledge I asked him about media wiki. It's just an example of software I'm looking at and is not definite software choice, I'm still searching for packages.

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
I'm not sure that software like mediawiki would be the best solution. I think that it would be to cumbersome to maintain.

My suggestion would be to use something like Mambo, which is heavily customisable, or to do something from scratch. I'll whip up a flowchart for what a scratchbuilt solution might look like from a design standpoint.

The Dave

I agree with about 90% of that flowchart, the reason I was looking into wiki software was because I was hoping that people could sign-up and control the content.

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
The Dave said:
I agree with about 90% of that flowchart, the reason I was looking into wiki software was because I was hoping that people could sign-up and control the content.
What's the 10%?

The Dave

Nothing big other than I think that the tutorials should be a database as well.

Are you good with setting up databases like this? Then maybe something where people could register, edit, and add new content (with an administrator cp for security [like undoing malicious edits]). Or is that something too complicated to be written from ground up?

EDIT: Actually that Mambo is looking really cool and a huge possibility.

Last edited:

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
The Dave said:
Nothing big other than I think that the tutorials should be a database as well.

Are you good with setting up databases like this? Then maybe something where people could register, edit, and add new content (with an administrator cp for security [like undoing malicious edits]). Or is that something too complicated to be written from ground up?
It is possible to do something like that from the ground up, but at that point, you are better off with a pre-fab CMS system. Such as Mambo, which I keep mentioning. That gives more control that a wiki would allow, and can have a more customisable look to it, than what I have seen with mediawiki.

That, and I have the coding ability of a blind monkey on crack.

The Dave

If we use the Mambo system and it has a forums plugin, wouldn't we just go with that?

Also, do we want forums? Or should we link to this forum? This is definitely a hot-topic in my opinion.

Also Vanit, when will access to this host be available? I only ask in saying if me and TS_Death_Angel are on board for this I would hope that sometime in the upcoming days we can have a server to try get a working site system on.

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
The Dave said:
If we use the Mambo system and it has a forums plugin, wouldn't we just go with that?

Also, do we want forums? Or should we link to this forum? This is definitely a hot-topic in my opinion.

Also Vanit, when will access to this host be available? I only ask in saying if me and TS_Death_Angel are on board for this I would hope that sometime in the upcoming days we can have a server to try get a working site system on.
There is a forum component available for Mambo. I've used it, it fits perfectly with the system, and it is pretty good. It's called simpleboard.

I would say yes to having a forum, otherwise we wont have as much repeat traffic, so people wouldn't be keeping up with the texture packs, and less incentive to submit them to the site.

OP
V

Vanit

I thought I already said it would have a forum :p. But to reiterate; yes I definitely want a forum as part of the website. I suppose people can post updates to their packs in threads in our forums, but I don't want to steal traffic from emutalk or have people running duplicate threads in both places. I'll also be taking a more active approach to newb-issues, if anyone has issues, and has read all the relevent tutorials, I will address them by adding new tutorials or by updating the old ones.

Also I'm unsure if I want the tutorial section as an active database that anyone can add to as this is essentially going to be my main contribution to the website and I would like to do all of it myself. Ofcourse people can submit tutorials, but I would not like to have duplicate tutorials addressing the same problems, or people writing tutorials that people have asked me to write before I get a chance to do so. It may seem a little childish, I admit, but I don't want someone external to the staff monopolising the tutorial section.

Another idea I've been toying with is if rather than having people posting updates in their threads, that the texture pack section would be like a database. People could add a pack and post updates by themselves and upload their packs to the website directly, or by submission. This would definitely make the pack section far more active. It would also solve the problem of people running 2 threads, one in our forums and one here in emutalk.

The Dave

I see your point with the tutorials and agree.

Also, that's exactly how I've always seen the packs section. The content being controlled by the authors.

OP
V

Vanit

Oh, and there is one feature that I would like you to implement into the website (though you probably already intended to, I thought I should double check). I'd like to be able to remotely post updates to the news on the homepage via http. Is that in your range of abilities?

Also to everyone else that I have invited to the staff (Djipi, Kerber, Weatherton, The Dave, TS_Death_Angel, Mollymut). If you want to contact me directly, my MSN is burningferret(at)hotmail(dot)com, and my AIM is vanitstudios. You can add me on one or both if you use them. And if anyone else wants to add me they can if they ask me via private message first. I don't want to log on tonight to see 50 randoms have added me for no reason.

And I think that wraps it up for this post.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vanit

I'm still wondering how Mambo will look intergrated into the website. Can someone link me an example of a website that uses it?

but2002

I have NEVER heard of Mambo and I suggest phpBB Fully Modded.I use it and It has advanced features such as chatrooms phillian (which is an inboard IM) banning, a warning system, an attachment system and MUCH more.
It is also compatible to integrateinto the website so it uses the same template as the website.

But if we were to link to here we would need Emutalk's permission.

An EX. of my board. http://bartat.freeownhost.com/phpbb/index.php

The Dave

I don't think phpBB would really offer exactly what we want, and I also think it's bloated.

Here are some mambo links I found by quick searching, the customizing of it seems to be exactly what I would hope for.

http://www.mambolove.com/
http://mamboxchange.com/
http://www.mambocommunities.com/

And for but2002:

"Mambo is a 'free' web-based content management system, which allows its users to create, organise and update content using a web browser, without the need to know the web technicalities usually involved in producing content for the web.

Mambo was developed 5 years ago by Miro International to be a simple to use web publishing system. It was released to the Open Source community and since then has been developed by members of the community into one of the most powerful Open Source Content Management Systems available. "

I'm actually really excited with it and would love to get it on a server and start playing with it.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vanit

Those websites don't look half bad; you can use Mambo if you want. I guess all we're waiting on now is my friend to get back to me about the host.