What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Website Proposal - HiRes Central: Recruiting Staff

but2002

Vanit said:
The site will have lots of indepth tutorials written by me designed to make it a piece of cake to enter the scene. There will also be a forum where people can ask individual questions.

Now for addressing people who have replied for positions:

but2002: I like the style of your website and I am considering adding you to the staff.

M Cubed: I wasn't sure if you were applying or not, but your website went a little further than but2002's and I loved the design. You're welcome aboard if you'd like.

Blacklord: Uhh... Well your website isn't really up to par. Post some images of your artwork and you might be able to design a few logos.

The Dave: I'm always looking for innovation. I already have a few ideas, though I might get back to you.

Djipi, Mollymut, Kerber2k: I'd like you to be moderators on the forums for answering newb questions, if you don't mind :).

TS_Death_Angel: If you have any examples of a website you've coded I'd love to see it.

talker: Those are very good websites, but they're more of a blog style and I don't think I'd like that sort of style for this website. Sorry :(.

Did I miss out anyone?

Even if there are people with better websites than me i still think that we can have an entire staff that does different things.

like the WEB DESIGN staff or the ADMINISTRATION staff or even the "WHATEVER" sectiopn staff!

64fanatic

Well, I wouln't have the time to be doing major hardcore coding, so i'd be okay with the tasks you don't have time for kinda stuff=]

I know basic website design, I'm also pretty good with photoshop CS2 if you need a logo, could post the updates on the main screen, all that crap, and whatever else you have in mind, like background tasks, watching over the forum for rule breakers and spammers,etc. (if you have one)

nobody else wants to yet i've seen, so i'll volunteer for the random jobs

Last edited:

The Dave

No offense that just isn't the best stuff. I have made a mock layout but I want to get in touch with Vanit of something more instant than a message board. I rather not post it until I hear his initial response and if he likes it any tweaking. I also have an idea on the flow of the website as in what click goes where.

I can tell you that the layout has no graphics other than screenshots of the packs on their information pages. It gives it a professional look and I would say it is definitely best to avoid using any Nintendo characters/logos (pretty much any IP) in graphics for the site.

If this site happens and takes off there is that chance it would receive a C&D letter from Nintendo and that would be it.

Mollymutt

The Dave said:
If this site happens and takes off there is that chance it would receive a C&D letter from Nintendo and that would be it.
This is my fear. The last thing we need is the big N to shut us down. I'll be glad to help in any way I can, but I'm wondering if this will give us too much visibility.

flowrent

Imo the site really doesnt need to be super spectacular .
Might as well look like a ftp server as long as it has the hi-res packs and the instructions to use them .
But when you're used to being creative you can't miss the chance of making such a website..
Anyway ,the idea is excellent ,congrats for the initiative.
Mr Conker here can't wait to be a hi-res character :D

Knuckles

Blacklord : will you please STOP posting all those crap again and again in all threads? It's getting really annoying.

Blacklord

Banned
ooooh i forgot about the PM option acctualy i'll yahoo or msn since i see i'm making people mad but unlike some people i know i will apologize the nice way. Sorry for that didn't know Vanit didn't want me to post em here.
Take that u evil moderators. :p

OP
V

Vanit

Blacklord, please stop posting in this thread. I don't mean to be blunt but your images are average and you're ruining this thread with your own agenda.

I'll be keep reading this thread but due to the load of school work I have I won't be able to reply much until Saturday. Keep posting though :D.

And I'm glad that everyone is so interested in the website.

64fanatic

Cool website = more popularity = more high res projects

as for the risk of the big N shutting us down....

well they haven't shut down any emulator, and by god are they getting popular.

if they don't care about the emulation, i doubt they are paying enough attention to even know about this, and if they did, care.

theres no gain of profit, and theres no loss of profit from this

Last edited:

The Dave

No your logic fails. If High Res stuff gets a big popularity it would be hard to stop the packs, but if theres one website that they are coming out of then Nintendo could shut it down, and even if they wouldn't have a case in court (not exactly sure about how legal these texture packs are), they will still use scare tactics, and even if they wanted to take it to court the lawyer they could afford would beat any of our's best effort.

Emulators on the other hand aren't illegal.

That's why I throw up the caution of not using Nintendo logos or characters in website design, but thats something any professional website developer/graphic artist already knows.

Kerber2k

There are plenty of other high-res projects for different PC games (Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem)...not to mention people making mods based on comercial games these would probably send up flags more than a small community using artistic creativity to re-vitilize games we already own. Nintendo would probably never even waste time sending us E-mails telling us to stop unless they felt that we were going to prevent them from making money off older games...(revolution comes to mind) Although since I see nothing illegal about the whole rom mod scene altho perhaps the big N will...meh no worries.

OP
V

Vanit

I was reading this from school. But here's my basic plan to reduce the chance the Nintendo will intervene:

No promoting roms (duh, but I thought I should mention it)
Refer to the packs as a form of fanart (gray area, can't sue for fanart)

I was thinking of giving the website a name like Emily to reduce attention, but I think we should be okay with HiRes Central.

Now I had a talk to a few people about this and if we keep to a free host (I'll use the same one my current website is on), and upload the packs to upload websites (ie uploadtemple, rapidshare, YSI, etc) then we should be somewhat immune.

But as others have said, Nintendo have bigger fish to fry. So I ask that people no longer worry about the legal concerns of the website as I have everything covered.

Please keep contributing and I'd like to see more people interested in the web designing component (with examples of past work) :).

but2002

Vanit said:
I was reading this from school. But here's my basic plan to reduce the chance the Nintendo will intervene:

No promoting roms (duh, but I thought I should mention it)
Refer to the packs as a form of fanart (gray area, can't sue for fanart)

But as others have said, Nintendo have bigger fish to fry. So I ask that people no longer worry about the legal concerns of the website as I have everything covered.

Yes. This would prevent ANY problems with the big N

With the new "REVOLUTION" comming out has gotten the big N pretty exited because it "The REVOULUTION of gaming"

Pretty sure if we launch we will not be shut by the N because of these.

---HiRES Central--- A good ASCII logo.. but needs a better font....
---HiRES Central---

hmm....

Last edited:

The Dave

Well since you want to see example and stuff I'll just post my first layout-concept. (I have a portfolio but I had a hard-drive crash around 6 months ago, lost all my psds, and have backups on a drive on the other coast and I STILL can't get my hands on it)

Now I have a feeling a lot of people posting in this thread might be against it, because I see a lot of (no offense, but really) people who just use photoshop filters and really don't know much about graphic design (though not to discredit those who do know what they're doing, theres plenty of you too).

It's a simple design, really with usability in mind more than anything.

Also there may be no other solution but I don't like the idea of public free hosting for the files because they often expire after days and we'll have a site of dead links.

Also, about the mockup. I'm not trying to pimp my current project. I only put WaveRace images there on the mock-up because it saved the time it would have taken for me to grab/make screens, I already had these on my computer.

The Dave

Or if you're looking for a branding logo, here's an idea:

The parallelograms represent the going from a small blurry texture to a bigger, smooth one.