What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doomulation said:
I tried to install Alcohol 120% yesterday, even though I knew it didn't work. I made a system restore point just in case. During the installation, the OS BSODed. When I started it again, it complained that some Windows files were corrupt. Ooookay... how could an installation program do that?
That installation program, installs a scsi layer driver for its virtual dvd-drive - and because drivers can kill an operating system that is why you are getting BSOD'ed. It's not entirely vista's fault, Alcohols driver is majorly to blame as well.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
OK I finally get the Vista 32 bit ISO and I'm planning to install it in a friend's PC for testing purposes in a separate partition from the main XP one. However I am not sure if he will want to keep it. What aspects I have to consider to totally uninstall it from the system?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The only way to remove Vista is to remove its files - pretty much format the partition. You would do well to install it on a seperate partition.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
The only way to remove Vista is to remove its files - pretty much format the partition. You would do well to install it on a seperate partition.

Of course, upgrading it's horrible, even when a product if finished. I guess I would have to fix / edit the boot file too AFAIK

Doomulation

Yes, if you don't want it to show Vista after you've removed it. But I don't really see a big reason to remove it. Use Vista as a primary OS and use XP as a backup OS.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Like I said it's my friend's PC, I don't know if he would like it, he's not kinda an IT enthusiast like us.

BTW I would like too see impressions of people with JUST 1 Gb of RAM using Vista, how general performance is? and how gaming performance is if you are able to test some games?

Last edited:

Doomulation

Performance works on my Laptop, but I can't deem too sure before I install the HDD. It is a little slowish.
And btw, Vista is even easier than XP so it's even more compelling to newbies than XP. Just so you know. Microsoft tends to prefer savvy GUI before savvy code.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Not that anyone will care but I have finally taken the leap... the leap being that I am so confident with Vista that I deleted what was left of XP, completely gone now - :D

Most things I use are completely working without a single issue, my games are smooth as they are on XP (I tried Hitman Blood Money on XP recently to see), it wasn't any faster than it was on Vista. Avast beta works on vista btw, download it from www.avast.com 's forum. (Avast is a free antivirus and a damn fine one btw).

I'll sum my experience with vista in one word: Satisfying.

Doomulation

I'd delete XP but it's on the start partition. But I'm thinking of deleting the XP partition contents, save for the boot files, then split the partition for extra space to use.
Still looking for a good firewall, though. Windows Firewall is full of lopholes, hard to use and just pathetic and insecure. Pc-cillin's one isn't much better at all, either.

Doomulation

People will be pleased to hear that Vista now has a complete PC backup program (disk imaging, anyone?). I'm unsure if it will be available in the Home editions of Vista, but it's pretty useful - and fast. It can save a copy of your system OS and later, also differential copies (that means it only saves what has changed from the previous backup to save space).

Unfortunately, it does not have an option to save to a network drive, nor does the Setup program have the option to load a backup from one. 'Tis a shame, since this was necessary for my laptop when I planned on switching HDs.
Oh well.

EDIT: It would be nice if it WORKED to restore such a backup. Stupid microsoft.

Last edited:

Doomulation

Hehehe, so like the other companies. As stated, Microsoft is doing the right things... well, not security, though. The basic Firewall sucks.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I tried posting about that earlier but emutalk is slower than a snail (even now). Kept giving me 404 errors so I thought screw this - anyway i'm getting build 5728 right now... :p

Doomulation

Vista's built-in burning software plainly sucks. Nero doesn't work properly in Vista. Either we use something to create an iso and burn with ImgBurn, or we find a better burning software.
Oh and I'm aquiring build 5728.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Nero 6 installs fine and works pretty well in Vista, haven't tried with this build (I've just installed it so I dunno much about it) - seems much like its former builds will have to do some investigating.

Back later!

Doomulation

Nero 6 crashes. Nero 7 won't load any files.
I tried out Ashampoo Burning Suite, however, and it seems like a nice burning software which works perfectly.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I have nothing but bad things to say about build 5728 so far, it has amazed me how Microsoft have contiuned their rampage to break pretty much ALL virtual drive software on the market with this build. I tried Daemon Tools and Virtual Clonedrive which worked in build 5600 and now they do not. Very annoying. Strongly considering going back to that build unless I can find something that works.

I found a virtual cd program that works on this build, A more obscure unknown one called PowerIso, its shareware but it'll do for now until I know more about this issue, I can't live without me virtual cd drive.

Last edited: