What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Ok, I now have reason to believe this build sucks, build 5600 was far better. For these problems alone I can conclude this build is shit.

1) Breaks daemon tools 3.33 and Clonedrive
2) When editing in Macromedia Flash 8, the whole app slows down from time to time, never happened in build 5600.

So, more or less. AVOID this build, i'm reinstalling 5600 as we speak.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmm, sounds bad. I don't believe that Microsoft has broken all virtual drives with purpose since that would make a lot of people upset - and that can't be a good thing.
Have you tried a fresh install of it? Considering of what you say, I'll test it on a Virtual Machine, I think.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
What do you take me for? I know what i'm talking about :p - I never do upgrades, always fresh installs infact I installed it twice and encountered numerous bsod's along the way - as far as i'm concerned build 5600 is better. 5728 didn't add anything and broke stuff so that gives me reason to say proceed with caution.

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Siro^87^ said:
well.....
i would like to have try on windows vista.....
but......
T_T
Well.... I would like to see what relevance your post has to my thread, but....

Doomulation

ScottJC said:
What do you take me for? I know what i'm talking about :p - I never do upgrades, always fresh installs infact I installed it twice and encountered numerous bsod's along the way - as far as i'm concerned build 5600 is better. 5728 didn't add anything and broke stuff so that gives me reason to say proceed with caution.
But it would make more sense to upgrade Vista since it's your primary OS, ya know? Anyway, it doesn't seem like Vista likes VMWare, so I'll hold off installing that build.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It wouldn't let me upgrade, compatibility issues or some crap; doesn't matter, build 5600 was way more tested than 5728 was. It seemed it broke more than it fixed.

Doomulation

Figures, but you didn't mention that.
But to think there is a newer build that is WORSE than the release candidate? And I spent 2 hours downloading it :/

Doomulation

Ah yes, you can change some things. You can select a few presets or change the colors yourself. It is available in the control panel, so no problem.

I just found out that MSN Messenger is not built in Windows Vista (I'm so slow).
So that means you have to download it separately?

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Correct but thats not exactly difficult nor does it take a long time to do.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Also Live Messenger 8.1 is suppossed to improve compatibility with Vista but is still in BETA stage

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
Hi all ive just installed vista on my laptop and its been great so far but in the near future i would like to return to xp. so would i need to install xp again from a disc casus i clicked upgrade windows while installing vista

Doomulation

LinkTheHero said:
Hi all ive just installed vista on my laptop and its been great so far but in the near future i would like to return to xp. so would i need to install xp again from a disc casus i clicked upgrade windows while installing vista
Yes, you would. You did not read that you can't uninstall Vista?