What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmmm. I wonder if it is wise to test the current 5728 build when that one comes out...
Upgrading it pretty messy. Maybe I should just stick with RC1 until I can grab that one and install it.

Doomulation

Keep your eyes peeled! Microsoft is planning on releasing RC2 (build 5744) to a limited number of CPP participants. Get it here.
Note that the page redirects to the Vista homepage for now, but we'll probably find the new build there quite soon. It's supposed to go live tomorrow.

This is the LAST build before the final RTM builds, which from what I am informed, will not be available to CPP testers nor will work with our CPP keys.

Doomulation

If you don't activate your Windows copy you'll have time to browse the web for an hour before it logs you out :p
And all that activation crap is starting to upset business. I wonder if Microsoft is doing the right thing, huh?

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Dunno, but believed or not I never have used a legal copy for my PCs in the past, not even one. That's why I'm worried, I don't want to pay for a licence :p

Doomulation

Nor do I, but I have full confidence that it WILL be cracked ;)
I mean, hey, these beta build will continue to function to July 2007. No need to rush...

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well that's true, but what will happen when july arrives? People hasn't cracked current WGA, and Vista seems to have an improved WGA. Cracking WGA is a constant battle because when one version is cracked, MS seems to fix it and counter attack it with other release

Doomulation

It's a classic battle between good (WGA crackers) and Evil (Microsoft) :p Why do you want to sever this classic theatre?

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Nah, is not that I want to make theatre, for me MS and the crackers are not good or evil. I just want the thing cracked and working :p

Doomulation

Just crack it, get what you want, and let it be. And for goodness sake, don't activate automatic updates! IF anything, put it to deactivated or ask you before it downloads and installs. That way you'll avoid Microsoft forcing WGA stuff down your throat. If you need anything more from Microsoft's site, then just crack 'em again.

And now...
VISTA RC2 IS OUT!!!
If you're not download it at this time, then what are you waiting for?! I don't need to remind you that it won't be there forever! So grab it now - this is the last pre-release build we'll get our hands on!
Already downloading, btw.

Poobah

Is it really as resource-hungry as they say? How well could I get it to run on a computer with 512MB of RAM?

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, it seems that you have been living in a cave. Vista RAM requirement is 512 mb, that's the basi requirement and you won't be able to use Aero (eye candy effects) with that. I won't personally recommend to install Vista with just 512mb.

For Doom: Of course, I'm not a fool

Doomulation

I installed RC2 x64 a day ago, and started on the restoration today. When installing the x64 nVidia drivers, however, I notice that they disable Aero! Curses.
For now, I'd rather not use them if it means disabling Aero because the Basic just look awful to me.

flow``

flow``
the nvidia drivers are horrible last i checked (in 5278? whatever was after rc1). in rc2 they're 93.77 iirc but i havent had much time to dick around with things.

interestingly enough, i reinstalled xp (w/ sp2 slipstreamed) tonight, ran windows update a few times, and didnt have WGA installed by the end of it. i dont know if they removed the current WGA build to be replaced by a new one on tuesday or if it's gone for the meantime. *shrugs* but i was quite happy i saved a few mins in replacing files in between updates

Doomulation

the nvidia drivers are horrible last i checked (in 5278? whatever was after rc1). in rc2 they're 93.77 iirc but i havent had much time to dick around with things.
I believe the build after RC1 was 5728. I still have two copies around I think. Or I might have deleted them...
I haven't had much trouble with nVidia drivers pre-RC2 however.

interestingly enough, i reinstalled xp (w/ sp2 slipstreamed) tonight, ran windows update a few times, and didnt have WGA installed by the end of it. i dont know if they removed the current WGA build to be replaced by a new one on tuesday or if it's gone for the meantime. *shrugs* but i was quite happy i saved a few mins in replacing files in between updates

How can you even use Windows Update? All it does is cause problems and force WGA crap down your throat.

On the subject of RC2...
Microsoft, WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THIS TIME?! File copying STILL doesn't work properly!

Last edited:

Doomulation

Yes, apparently it will go live as Vista goes live.
Another problem still exists on RC2: Network connection can sometimes be fux0red up and the only solution is to restart.