What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I installed RC2 x64 a day ago, and started on the restoration today. When installing the x64 nVidia drivers, however, I notice that they disable Aero! Curses.
For now, I'd rather not use them if it means disabling Aero because the Basic just look awful to me.

How can you even use the x64 version? It is a real hell, the 32 bit version is more stable and it doesn't have a lot of drivers problems like the x64 one

You win the cookie. :)

Edit: Office 2007 RTM soon, check this out Microsoft Office 2007 Beta Comes to an end! - AeroXperience .

I beat you days ago

http://www.emutalk.net/techtalk/37498-office-2007-current-state-2.html

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
How can you even use the x64 version? It is a real hell, the 32 bit version is more stable and it doesn't have a lot of drivers problems like the x64 one
I'm trying it out and I'm aquiring the 32-bit version just-in-case(TM).
So far, however, it seems to work. There is also an option that allows you to use unsigned drivers for X64, but I can't find the app I used to do it, however...

Doomulation

So far, things haven't gone well. Microsoft claims they've fixed a lot of "major" bugs, but still I find things that really should have been FIXED:

- After 20 or 30 minutes, Windows just terminates the network connection. Not literally, but I can't access Internet after that time. And no, it isn't the router or DSL modem, as after a reboot, it works fine. For 20 minutes.
- Everytime I restart or shut down (I only tested when the network screwed up, though), it pretty much refuses to listen. It sits there for what - 10 minutes? The task manager refuses to show during the shutdown cycle.
- Still, I would want Aero with nVidia drivers.
- The stupid thing also didn't want to allow me to multi-boot with RC1. Though I suppose this could have happened because I formated the boot partition (not the OS partition). So yeah, way to go. I can't access RC1 for now.

Way to go, Microsoft!
Are you hoping to get people to switch to your OS to annoy them with all the bugs? Oh well. Next up - 32-bit. If I can get the rest 40% of the file before the network fuxores up that is.

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
just got build 5744 and im really inpressed with it so far :bouncy: only problem ive had with it was the missing audio driver but windows update fixed tht ;) and the best part is i figured out a way 2 dual boot by making a new Partition out of my hard drive with out loseing my files :D (i used PartitionMagic 8.0):king:

Doomulation

The installer didn't seem slower to me...
On the bright side of news? Network is still working!
Windows-now blog seemed to like the x64 version too. If the network dies again, I'll throw the towel out the window.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Just getting from the blue green screen to the Install screen is taking a while. Also, the fact that having 6 drives in my system is still a plague. I have 3 SATA hard drives and 3 IDE drives. I cannot just select my 80 Gig SATA to install too, because it says cannot find suitable drive. I have to unplug all other hard drives to install windows, you'd think they could fix that.

Edit: Also i lost my original key, thank god for 2 emails, now i have like 15 activations. :p

Doomulation

I know the little load up time. It seems slow to begin the installation but once the process begins, it's fast. I never had to worry about drivers since I can access my SATA drives as if they were IDE drives thanks to this motherboard.

Doomulation

I forgot...
It's part of Gigabyte's K8 Triton series. It's a nForce 4 SLI motherboard.
CPU-Z doesn't work properly.

Doomulation

So RC2 is no longer available for download and great goodness... all post-RC1 builds had their of share of problems.
RC2 (x64 & x86): Network dies after a specified period of time.
5728: Trying to throw files into the recycle bin from a drive other than C gave an unknown error.

So don't install post RC1 builds! Trying out RC1 x64 this time...

Quvack

I've been using RC2 as my primary OS for about a week now and it's been running great.

The only issue I've had is when going into a folder with a lot of pictures and its trying to thumbnail them all, it'll come up with a 'COM Surrogate has stopped' error, which is annoying but bareable. Apart from that performance has been great and it's compatible with all the software I bother with.

TerraPhantm

I installed Vista 5744 today, and I like it so far. It feels a lot faster then Beta 2 (the build I used last) though that may be because I have 2GBs of RAM now. So far I haven't had any network problems, and it's been running for a couple hours.

Doomulation

Beta 2 was terrible. I'm not surprised that you find RC2 to be faster. But it isn't much different from RC1.
Still, running RC1 X64 now and no problems. Especially not network related. Might be Microsoft crap drivers? Who knows?
With Virtual PC 2007, I could simulate the new OS in a virtual machine, but I doubt I'll get back to using RC2, and probably jump to directly to release.

spotanjo3

I refuse this new program. I will keep Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Media Edition with a brand new PC. This Vista is insane and is not good to the most emulators.

Doomulation

What nonsense are you spewing? Emulators works fine. On what grounds are you basing these accusations on?

spotanjo3

I was told that some emulators are slow down nor freezed nor something like that with this Windows Vista.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I don't like your trolling attitude. Have you even tried Vista yourself? No. Of course you are basing yourlsef in rubbish you heard and don't tell us where...

spotanjo3

Sorry about my attitude but I am just telling the truth. I want to try it but someone told me not to because it's not worthy. So, I guess I should ask you guys an advice if it is good or something. I apologized for that comment.

Quvack

I was told that some emulators are slow down nor freezed nor something like that with this Windows Vista.

You were told? At the very least you could try it for youself before bashing it. All the emulators I've tried/tested since running have Vista have ran at least as well as they have on XP, with the same machine.

Whoever told you they slow down, freeze, etc.. likely had problems with drivers or they misconfigured something. Or they used a build which had bugs causing misc other problems.