What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well you don't have to. RC1 is very stable. Just be sure to have at least 1 Gb of RAM in your rig and a pixel shade 2.0 capable videocard to have the best Vista experience

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i've been using RC2 (bulld 5744) for about a week, loving it to be honest - went back to vista because daemon tools released a vista compatible version, and thats all I really need.

One annoying problem but has a workaround: Flash 8 Editor, if you don't disable "Desktop Composition" whenever you go to edit an object flash 8 becomes exceedingly slow with its transition effect. [use compat options]

Apart from that, i'm happy.

TerraPhantm

I have the same feelings about RC2, I haven't had a single problem yet. I quite honestly feel that its stable enough for me to use it as my main OS. I probably would if the RC builds were upgradeable to RTM.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
There has been a lot of hype around Vista, but at this point, it seems to me that it's beginning to show its flaws. Bugs and incompability. Not to mention that UAC is putting sticks in the wheel as well. What's worse is that the Network Problem(TM) is manifesting itself in Vista RC1 as well! Network suddenly dying at times.
I'm going to backup the Vista partition, format and go back to XP. I've thought about it... the only things I would truly miss is Windows Calendar. Aside from that, everything else would be just dandy. I could finally use a proper Firewall instead of Windows Crapwall(TM) or PC-Cillin's Bug-Wall(TM) and a proper Anti-virus software that actually works (So, PC-Cillin's works, but it's buggy, updates are slow, and the program is just plain annoying).

No more video playback issues...
I'll miss two of the graphical APIs, though, but I'll live. I'll go back to XP 32-bit and avoid the stupid "all drivers need signing" issue.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Doom, the networking issue you're referring too has to do with the Vista Media Connect 2.0 (formerly Media Connect 2.0, which used to be an optional XP update, until it was realized it wrecked networking). When one vista machine detects a second Vista ready machine, it automatically enables Media Connect (the thing that pops up in the task bar saying a second vista capable machine has been found would you like to enable sharing?) and that completely fucks all networking. I had the same thing happen here, I put RC2 on my media center and my main rig, and as soon as my media center accessed my main tower to stream television shows, the network failed, and all internet connection was lost. The worst part is there is no fix, it fucks the registry over completely. Which is why I'm now back on XP Pro. I'm not using Vista until that is an option to be turned off, because it has always been broken and it isn't going to change it looks like.

Doomulation

Truly a sad thing. I never update XP except for service packs but the network issue is not the main reason I'll be going back to XP. Though it was one of the big factors that led me to this decision.
I haven't decided if I should keep Vista on the laptop, though. Since I'll be migrating to a new HD, I might as well install a fresh RC2 copy x86.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
AFAIK Octuber 25th was the RTM day, but I'm agree with you they have time to deliver it in january, and I guess that the delay is just for a few days or just one week

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
UPDATE:

As you might already know, Vista is already finished

Neowin.net - Windows Vista Is Golden

But how can we test the final version? First check out this article:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp

each Windows Vista product edition ships with the exact same DVD. This means that you could theoretically install any version of Windows Vista with, say, the install DVD you got for Windows Vista Home Premium (or any other version). So what determines the version that gets installed? It turns out that Microsoft is tying the Product ID (PID) to specific Vista product editions. So if you did purchase a retail copy of Vista Home Premium, the PID you got in the box will only unlock the Home Premium product. What this all means is that Microsoft only has to ship one Vista DVD (which contains one Vista install image) to customers, eliminating complexity.

That's interesting, and I hope people can crack to get Ultimate in a very easy way (for the pirate people like me). But before a crack is available, we might do some kind of "trial" if the final version is leaked:

then, you enter your Product Key, which, as noted above, is used to determine which Vista version gets installed. Fun fact: You can choose not to enter a Product Key if you'd like. You'll then be prompted with a list of Vista product editions that you can install and evaluate for 30 days (Figure). After that, you'll need to enter the Product Key you received or reinstall.

Quite interesting... I think Vista cracking would not be as hard as MS stated

Doomulation

I think Microsoft is becoming generous! :p I've never ever heard of a 30-day trial of Windows XP (though I think there was some trial of XP 64-bit or something?).
But the nice thing is that, you can simply purchase a edition, enter the code and presto! You've got a new edition without doing anything else. Upgrade anywhere, anytime. It also makes it easier for hackers to find a code to update to Ultimate as well!

Doomulation

No, Microsoft simply refused to fix what was important to fix. UAC had a serious bug, application compability didn't work...
And then there's the lack of drivers, and firewall applications, and other applications whose compability was broken...
One day, Vista will shine. It seems less buggier than XP from what I've experienced (at least on the more critical points), but that day is not now.

Flash

Technomage
Agree. Right now Vista is less compatible than linux + wine/cedega and there's big problem with drivers. But that's typical for M$ - to release beta version as final. I think it will be just like Win2k, it will take more than two service packs to make it useful at home.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
To ScottJC:

You did a lot of Vista testing in the past, have you tested RTM already? why don't you give us a review? Don't abandon this good thread you created :p

smcd

I installed the RTM to play and I have to say, the best thing about Vista is InkBall :p (and the theme isn't TOO bad)