What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
SlimickGamer said:
Yeah sure I'll do it on my friend's computer :p. Still wondering if you can still hack and tweak it like what I did with my Windows 98 before..
There's a world of difference between hacking and tweaking, hacking unless specified otherwise generally means malicious activity. Tweaking sure you can tweak it, Vista has amazing tweaking abilities built into it already.

ScottJC said:
There's a world of difference between hacking and tweaking, hacking unless specified otherwise generally means malicious activity. Tweaking sure you can tweak it, Vista has amazing tweaking abilities built into it already.

Oh that sucks...oh well. I'm usually used to tweaking the computer manually.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Believe it when there are lots of things you cannot change from within windows. They're just waiting to be discovered. It has always been so and probably always will.

UPDATE:
The beta version of RC1 will expire in JULY next year, so you can use it plenty more after the real version is released. Neat.
Vista also gives developers new handy tools to use, so from that perspective it is very cool too! It allows you to use the new dialogs (the one you've seen like when installing a driver, for example). It's aimed to replace the ading message box. They also added a neat new function for Kernel Transfers. Basically, an application performs a function by doing a lot of calls to the Windows API and IF, and only IF, this succeeds, it can commit the action (run it). If it fails, it can easily be rolled back. Handy! We just HAVE to love Vista, now!

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
For those of you that are using Vista, it is possible to disable UAC and boot the OS without the login screen, without typing any password using the admin account? You guys are maybe wondering why somebody would like to do that, that's unsafe, insaene, etc. but I actually do that in XP. Since I am the only one that use my PC, I'm not afraid of other people neither of spybots installing witohut noticing it because I'm very careful. Anyway, it's possible?

Doomulation

Disable UAC: yes
Auto-login: not that I'm aware of. It doesn't matter if you use a password or not, you still need to click your user to login. I haven't tested, though, so I am not 100% sure.
It is indeed possible, however, to remove the password on the admin account, even though it is unsafe.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I know is theorically unsafe, but I'm ok with it. When I used Slackware I used the admin account all the time, and I didn't screwed it up

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I know I know, it's just that I don't need UAC and other stuff to keep my PC running well and without crap, however and I'm not telling that Vista's features are useless, they are very good and a must for most people

Doomulation

I believe UAC is a very good thing. The only thing that keeps me from using it is compability problems. Many applications does not work properly with it.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
SlimickGamer said:
Does GunZ and MU Online works too?
I'd test but I don't own those, btw you do realize that your system isn't fast enough to run vista at full whack right? You need at least 1gb of memory for vista to run smoothly - and a fairly good graphics card to get the fancy glass user interface. At best you'll be able to run vista but it will be painfully slow for you until you do an upgrade.

OR just use Vista with the classic windows interface and disable a hell of a lot of services in which case you'd be better off sticking with XP.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Trust me if a game doesn't work now, it will when the final build comes out, RC1's purpose is to give developers the chance to get theirselves ready - that and Microsoft will fix vistas issues preventing some of existing software from working.

For an MMORPG they can either update or die because Vista will be huge. It isn't like linux, a major release of windows is something developers cannot ignore.

Doomulation

My laptop only have 1 GB of memory, so I'm thinking of upgrading it a little. Then I thought I might try the ReadyBoost feature. I just need to find a compatible USB memory to purchase first :)
EDIT: I've forgotten to mention this, but... in XP, there was a bug or something that when resuming from Hibernation, XP wouldn't accept your password for your User Account even if it was RIGHT! Vista have fixed this apparently. At least so it seems.
EDIT2: On second note: Nah! No ReadyBoost for me. I'm getting the real thing!

Last edited:
My game designer friend at Sony Corporation (He's cool) recommended that if you want to get Vista get at least 2GB of RAM because he said that's the recommended RAM if you extremely play games on Vista.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
That explains my high frame rate in Far Cry :p (Far cry works yay). Although with water on high/ultra high it is a bit fecked up, set it to medium and water looks normal. weird, meh, game works thats all I care about. edit: updating to 1.33 of the game solved that problem, yay. picture outdated but proves it works so meh.

*2GB of ram FTW*

Last edited:

Doomulation

I tried to install Alcohol 120% yesterday, even though I knew it didn't work. I made a system restore point just in case. During the installation, the OS BSODed. When I started it again, it complained that some Windows files were corrupt. Ooookay... how could an installation program do that?
I selected Last Known Good Configuration, but that didn't help at all. I did it several times, in fact, and it still complained about corrupt files. Meh.
I burned Vista RC1 to a new DVD-RW to prepare for reinstall later.
Today I booted up the computer and hey, it didn't complain about corrupt files and I hadn't done anything! But when I got into Windows, it gave me a BSOD. Fail safe mode, the same. BSOD. I select Last Known Good Configuration. Still BSOD.

So, I put in the Vista DVD and booted from it. I selected repair and then Fix Start up and lastly System Restore to the restore point before I installed Alcohol 120%. And now... it works!
That just goes to say - never trust Last Known Good Configuration! The installation program did a better job at fixing the computer than that stupid alternative.