What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Still haven't booted into XP, oh well... still loving this os, just installed my favourite development studio - Delphi 2006. Works perfectly... maybe time to resurrect some of my old scret projects...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Visual Studio 2005 work like a charm.
The task manger seems frozen in 5600. How can they have missed that?
Speech regonition needs more work. It amazes me how it fails to recognize almost any word that starts with "l" or just the letter "l" for that matter.
There are too few commands; I mean, can't I have something like "Shut down computer?"

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Official RC1 is out, is it the same build (build 5600)? probably.

As far as speech recognition goes, I've always found that to be unnecessary, easier to type than it is to give myself a sore throat teaching my pc to understand the word "fuck" ;) Task manager frozen? can you elaborate... it seems to work fine for me.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I don't care much about security anyway, i've got a hardware firewall. Now lets see whats my latest vista stuff for today ... ah yes.

Two features that I really love. The first is the run/search feature built directly into the start menu... instead of having to click run I can just type in dxdiag there for instance and dxdiag pops up... but wait theres more, I can type in the name of a file like a video and it pops up a list for me, which is awesome (see attached pic one)

Feature two is extremely awesome, I'm a man who loves his folders shown in groups (by type), in XP I can do this but vista adds another thing into the mix. the ability to collapse and select all of one paticular type and that makes it easier for me to organise my files.

Attached Pic two is uncollapsed exe files shown in groups, pic three is collapsed exe files and the rest uncollapsed... handy no? :D - All my folders are set up with this configuration.

I am vista's biggest fan, I have no use for XP anymore and next week I plan to delete my xp partition. I don't need it anymore.

Doomulation

It's a shame speech recognition doesn't work so well. I mean, it's normal for it to make mistakes, but if it cannot learn when we teach it that it is a mistake, then something is amiss, really.
Newest nVidia drivers 91.33 won't install for me >_< Says I'm not running Vista.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Vista is awesome but it is a system hog, runs pretty much perfectly for me, has never crashed on me once. It's major downfall is that its incompatible with some of my software but the user interface rocks so much and other things that seriously make up for its downfalls and then some.

Half life 2 is 100% compatible, I can report.

Doomulation

Some applications have problems with the new progress bar control. It flickers somewhat.
Also it seems like the effect in the progress bar... this effect's speed depends on how fast the applications update the progress bar. Weird, I know.

Doomulation

Eh? Nonsense! My laptop uses an ATI card and has drivers installed (from ATI). Works perfect, without a hitch;

Zoomer

Are you sure ? Goto device manager and view the video card. Mine, and everyone else I know using ATI, as the Yellow warning icon and the details says "Error code 43".

I also have an ATI laptop ( Mobile 9800 )

What drivers are you using ?

Doomulation

No, not to my knowledge. I've been into Device Manager before and have seen no yellow icon. I will check next time I use it, though. I'm using the latest official drivers from ATI.
My card is ATI Mobile X1600.

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
SlimickGamer said:
I wonder if Vista is easier to hack than it's predecessors............
Figure that one out for yourself, I refuse to help people with "Hacking" computer systems - its also something nobody here can answer so it is a futile question - wondering can only get you so far, might help to try for yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah sure I'll do it on my friend's computer :p. Still wondering if you can still hack and tweak it like what I did with my Windows 98 before..

Miretank

Lurking
Doomulation said:
Some applications have problems with the new progress bar control. It flickers somewhat.
Also it seems like the effect in the progress bar...
Mind posting some pic showing that? I am afraid it is the same problem Window Blinds has. =)