What's new

The Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (and above) thread

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'm running it now with no issues, and yes, I can confirm World of Warcraft works. I'm having almost no issues with it, other then the fact Daemon Tools would not install, and I was forced to use CloneDrive. I'm enjoying it so far, and it is running pretty stable.

Clements

I just installed Vista, and just as I thought, it is not liking my USB Modem/ISP software, which is highly annoying. For now, I am connected via a Network Gateway to my laptop with XP with the modem software installed.

At the moment, I am not running an Antivirus program, only Vista's default firewall and defender. Using the latest Vista beta drivers for my graphics and sound card.

Stuff that works:

- Doom 3
- glQuake
- Quake II Evolved Engine
- Quake III Arena
- Quake 4
- GLHexen II;
- Emulators: ZSNES, Project64, Dolphin, Kega, ePSXe, VBA

Stuff that does not:

- Doomsday Engine (with Snowberry, latest beta)
- My USB modem software;
- Nvidia automatic filtering with ZSNES, possibly others;
- Rivatuner

Although almost everything works, it is tempremental and has bugs with stuff that otherwise works with XP. I'll probably revert back.

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If you want daemon tools hexi just install version v3.33 of it. Clements, vista isn't the reason why your usb modem drivers don't work (usb modems are tempremental at the best of times) - driver support is as much the manufactuers job as well as microsofts and XP was just the same with drivers when it came out, it was lacking a ton of them.

I'm using an ethernet adsl/router modem so the net isn't an issue for me, ironically the reason I wouldn't use linux the first time was because I couldn't get my usb modem to work, go figure.

ATI's support of vista is far more impressive so far I'd say, they just released new drivers for it the day after RC1 was out.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Forgot to mention... disable Admin Approval. That will make sure more programs works (like installing deamon tools), or simply use the built-in Administrator account (since it doesn't have nor can have admin approval activated).

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doomulation said:
Forgot to mention... disable Admin Approval. That will make sure more programs works (like installing deamon tools), or simply use the built-in Administrator account (since it doesn't have nor can have admin approval activated).
Daemon Tools v4 doesn't work because of compatibility issues, something about kernal patching or something (i dunno). My account is administrator, anyway compatibility is the price you pay for wanting to use state of the art operating systems or software. It will all be fine in time when developers catch up and microsoft fix stuff.

v3.33 of daemon tools does everything v4 does except emulate starforce or newer securoms, but thats not a problem for me because I just download game patches anyway. Can't be arsed keeping my game cds in my dvd-rom drive and swaping discs (btw my dvd-rw is a usb device and it works BETTER on vista)

Doomulation

Yes, but until that time, we need all the help we can get. Us power users can get away with disabling it. Not recommended for the n00bs, however. But then again, I don't think they would know how to disable it.
And yes, I know Deamon Tools 3.33 is the latest version that runs on Vista. I've managed to install it myself.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Is ReadyBoost feture really improving performance for you guys? You know, the thing that let you boost your performance using a USB key as extra memory?

Doomulation

Never really needed it. It doesn't accept my flash memories as valid memory extensions. They're too slow. Need something faster.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
ScottJC said:
Thats why I put (and above) in the title of my thread, you dunce. For the record, I care, would you rather I kept spamming other threads about this eh? And since you replied so quickly you never bothered to read a single word of my thread so keep your opinions to yourself. Go troll elsewhere.

i also say who cares, becoz only an idiot would bothe buying vista untill its been

1. cracked
2. copied and whored around the planet.
3. come down in price alot.
4. someone has removed the WGA crap.

Doomulation

squall_leonhart said:
i also say who cares, becoz only an idiot would bothe buying vista untill its been

1. cracked
Tell that to US who have been using Vista in its beta stage. Your attitude is neither wanted nor appreciated.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Doomulation said:
Tell that to US who have been using Vista in its beta stage. Your attitude is neither wanted nor appreciated.

yes, but you don't have you pay $800 for a copy (yet) have WGA report itself to ms every time you switch on windows, worry about activation or that ms is spying on your every move.. becoz its just a beta...

btw, doomulation, i could care less about what you appreciate, i have no attitued other then the one that microshit has given me with the crap its pulled in the last few months with its wga crap, (which is illegal and i will like to see a privacy suite come against ms for it)

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
squall_leonhart said:

1. cracked
Like I said, go troll elsewhere because if you don't like vista then DON'T USE IT, its as simple as that. Also nobody has "bought vista" yet, we're using the release candidates. I'm going to have to get mods involved if you don't stop your shit.

Edit: And to clarify it is not what you say that I am objecting to it is HOW YOU SAY IT. I don't mind negative things being said about microsoft, I do however mind you saying things like "who cares" when clearly YOU are the only one who doesn't care, and if you don't care why are you posting?

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well anyway, moving on (I am not going to agknowledge anything squall says unless it is relevant and non-troll like from now on).

Doom 3 doesn't work on my system, see weird black shader lines everywhere, weird. Possibly nvidia has better support for this game than my X800 does.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Someone is desiring to be banned here... Does anyone else has tested the ReadyBoost feature? Scott? Clements? Hex?

Doomulation

Can't get Vista to use speech recognition. I still have to upgrade to the newest build, though. Let's see if I can get it to work from there.
Did I mention that you can now use the B drive as a drive letter? The system partition is still C, though. And A is still reserved for the floppy drive. Dammit, when are they going to throw that blasted thing out the window?

Last edited:
Two more questions?

1. Does Vista make a great OS for networking and server computers?
2. Do you need to have a genuine Windows for Vista?

Doomulation

SlimickGamer said:
Two more questions?

1. Does Vista make a great OS for networking and server computers?
2. Do you need to have a genuine Windows for Vista?
1) The Networking center was remade to indicate where a problem is. That's helpful, I guess. My initial attempt at network with Vista succeeded.
2) What do you mean?

Doomulation said:
Can't get Vista to use speech recognition. I still have to upgrade to the newest build, though. Let's see if I can get it to work from there.
Did I mention that you can now use the B drive as a drive letter? The system partition is still C, though. And A is still reserved for the floppy drive. Dammit, when are they going to throw that blasted thing out the window?

Anyway abou the speech recognition. Do you have to manually train the Vista speech recognition and does Vista have the XP Language bar?

LanguageBar.jpg