What's new

The E3 Thread

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Doomulation said:
Oh, please. Read carefully here.
Sony has never had a centralized online service. It was up to each company to make one available. Xbox got one online service from microsoft and instantly it became popular. Next, we see Sony saying that they will include one such service for the PS3. But only AFTER Microsoft had put it with their Xbox 360.
We see the sony's controller which they've probably been using for all these years they've spent developing the system. Last year, what did we see? Certainly not a motion sensor control. This year? Oh yes, it has sensor capabilities after that Nintendo at Tokyo Game Show revealed their controller.
And oh, hey! The controller looks completely different! I wonder... was it because they needed to rebuild it to make use of motion sensor? And I wonder why the rumble was left out...
To me - it makes sense. Sony copied it. They made a new controller prototype to copy nintendo. Because sony knew that nintendo's controller was very "revolutionizing."
It seems clear to me that when Sony finds that something "works well" or is "revolutionzing" or "cool," then they steal the idea for themselves. Come up with your own ideas for once, you stupid bastards! They can't even give their console a new name. Hey, I mean, even Microsoft didn't name the Xbox Xbox 2, but rather Xbox 360 - a new name with a significance. What significance is there in Playstation 3? Pathetic.
Oh give it up. Blah blah blah Sony copies other people therefore they suck blah. Who cares.

It's good that Sony realized online service was something people wanted and are implementing it. They waited for some other company, Microsoft, to test the waters first, so what? It'd be stupid NOT to put it in, more so after seeing the success of Xbox Live. Giving people what they want is a good thing.

Sony didn't copy Nintendo. Do you really think they could achieve the same level of technology so quickly? If the remote is anything new (and it seems to be), then Nintendo will have patents on it. The PS3's motion-sensing isn't going to be the same as the Wii's at all. You can stop worrying.

What Sony is doing is trying to cash in on the hype... steal some of Nintendo's spotlight. Fool a few parents into thinking that the PS3 "has motion-sensing too! Plus it plays blu-ray" etc. Pure marketing. It probably won't be used with many PS3 games, whereas with the Wii, it's the whole point.

Last edited:

smegforbrain

EdgeBlade said:
Part of the PS3's price issue is, I think, Sony want's to have all these new wave technoligies now,

Well, it's not just Sony.

Everybody thought the XBox 360 would've had an HD-DVD drive as well, and that certainly would've jacked up the price to the same area that the PS3 is going to be released at.

As it is, I'm not sure how many are going to be willing to shell out later for the add-on or whatever HD-DVD drive that's supposed to one day be available for the XBox 360.

If there's one thing that sets consoles apart from computers, it's that you don't really upgrade consoles. But that's what you're going to have to do with an XBox 360 down the road. Might have to do it with the PS3 still... who knows. :)

Doomulation said:
But only AFTER Microsoft had put it with their Xbox 360.

And like I said, didn't Sega have a centralized service long ago?

Point: the idea is NOT original.

It was inevitable for Sony to have such a service, as it will be for Nintendo's shitty named box too, should they ever decide to go online.

Hell, wasn't it months ago that news came out that the once-named Revolution would have the ability to go online and download games to play from previous Nintendo systems?

And how, maybe you'll bother to ask, would they do that unless *gasp* they had a centralized system!?

Doomulation said:
And I wonder why the rumble was left out...

How about: Sony got sued after they didn't want to play the licensing fees for the company that 'owns' the technology behind rumble game pads.

The same fees Nintendo and Microsoft have to pay.

So, I can't say I blame Sony for dropping it... it probably wasn't worth the cost in the long run. (And as a side note, companies that own these kinds of patents piss me off... these guys are the scum of the earth, alongside class action lawsuit lawyers).

Quite frankly, I could care less that the rumble stuff is gone. I'm all wireless with my game controllers now, both PS2 and PC, and I never use the vibration stuff.

I won't miss it.

Doomulation said:
It seems clear to me that when Sony finds that something "works well" or is "revolutionzing" or "cool," then they steal the idea for themselves.

Well now, give yourself a cookie. Hell, I feel generous: give yourself three.

And then welcome yourself to Business 101, a world which you probably wouldn't survive, judging on how pissed you are at Sony.

But of course, this brings me back to Microsoft, and good they are at stealing from others... that is, when they can't just force their competition out of business.

And damn Nintendo for finally putting out a game console that was CD based! Damn those bastards for stealing that idea from Sony in the first place! Hell, it only took them about a decade to warm up to the idea. No wonder they lost all their market share.

Doomulation said:
a new name with a significance. What significance is there in Playstation 3? Pathetic.

That's your best argument?

Yawn.

Last I checked, Playstation 3 is a new name, with a new significance as well.

Your argument is about as ridiculous as saying that Super Nintendo versus Nintendo isn't that significant. Of course, saying that there's no difference between PS2/PS3 and XBox/XBox 360 is pretty damn lame in of itself.

You're really out on a rather thin limb here, Doom.

But hey, if you want go to play with your Wii Wii, go right ahead. ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
zAlbee said:
Sony didn't copy Nintendo. Do you really think they could achieve the same level of technology so quickly? If the remote is anything new (and it seems to be), then Nintendo will have patents on it. The PS3's motion-sensing isn't going to be the same as the Wii's at all. You can stop worrying.
To clarify, they steal the IDEA not the TECHNOLOGY ;)
But as I see things standing now... sony is the big copycat. Each system has their own advantages and sony is trying to incorporate it all.

Alchemist

After seeing Red Steel and Twilight Princess on the Wii, and after considering the very low 250 US$ price tag, I am pretty sure that Ninty's going to win the console war ove the what, 600 US$ PS3? Less than half for revolutionary gameplay which, after all isn't that what gaming is all about?

Doomulation

Indeed. And the price isn't fixed yet. The $250 price tag is a rumor. The console might be priced lower... or higher. We don't know yet. I think it will be $250 or less, though.

WhiteX

Allnatural said:
Nothing else at E3 matters anymore, 'cause we have Super Paper Mario coming to the cube.

Show's over, everyone go home. :satisfied

StarFox DS, Castlevania PoR, Zelda PH, Death Jr, Lunar Knights, Megaman ZX, Custom Robo...

I am such a DS fanboy. :homestar:

smegforbrain

Alchemist said:
and after considering the very low 250 US$ price tag, I am pretty sure that Ninty's going to win the console war ove the what, 600 US$ PS3?

My last post on the matter:

As I said, Nintendo didn't win the console war between the PS2/XBox/GameCube, even though they had the lower price, so I see no logic in assuming that now.

Does Nintendo even have a release date yet for the Wii? They're getting in pretty late in the game as it is and let's face it, Nintendo has already scared away a large number of hard-core gamers with the fact that the GameCube has always been viewed as a kiddie system.

Alchemist said:
Less than half for revolutionary gameplay which, after all isn't that what gaming is all about?

Except, aside from the controller, what is so revolutionary? Great, a new control, but the same ol' schtick in Mario, Zelda and Metroid. :)

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
smegforbrain said:
Except, aside from the controller, what is so revolutionary? Great, a new control, but the same ol' schtick in Mario, Zelda and Metroid. :)

Yeah, that really is a drawback, a new innovative controller for three of the most popular franchises in history, I can see where they're screwed there.

smcd

smegforbrain said:

Xbox = halo, halo, sports games, halo, racing title reruns
PS2 = sports games, sports games, final fantasy, sports games, racing title reruns

EDIT: oh yeah, who could forget Grand Theft Auto Way Too Many Editions? :p

All major consoles suffer the whoring out of popular titles. With a new controller offering new input possibilities and seemingly welcoming 3rd party development with cheap(er) dev kits and other things, there might indeed be some "revolutionary" developments. :)

Clements

smegforbrain said:
Nintendo has already scared away a large number of casual gamers with the fact that the GameCube has always been viewed as a kiddie system.

Fixed

Doomulation

sethmcdoogle said:
Xbox = halo, halo, sports games, halo, racing title reruns
PS2 = sports games, sports games, final fantasy, sports games, racing title reruns

EDIT: oh yeah, who could forget Grand Theft Auto Way Too Many Editions? :p

All major consoles suffer the whoring out of popular titles. With a new controller offering new input possibilities and seemingly welcoming 3rd party development with cheap(er) dev kits and other things, there might indeed be some "revolutionary" developments. :)
The thing that revolution uses the old gamecube API, it's going to be a lot easier for companies to produce games. They have experience, and they save a lot of money beause they don't have to rebuild all the tools they need or development. And then... all about that HD. For xbox 360 or PS3, they're pretty much going to have make the games in HD (at least for PS3; sony will accept no less) or they might fall behind. Because those systems pretty much has the message: "better graphics makes a better game." But with revolution, there is no HD support so no games needs to be made HD. That's pretty revolutionary besides the new controller.

Oh, and what's wrong with Mario, Metroid and Zelda? I mean, they are all great hits. Especially Zelda & Metroid. Very popular. With such titles and the new controller, PLUS the cheap price will definetly attract gamers. I mean, it's easier, much easier, to buy an xbox 360 and revolution rather than xbox 360 and ps3.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Doomulation said:
I mean, it's easier, much easier, to buy an xbox 360 and revolution rather than xbox 360 and ps3.

I couldn't of said it better myself.

The 360 and the Wii will make a perfect combo. Can't wait to get my Wii now.

Doomulation

"Playstation 3 is too cheap," Ken Kutaragi said. Ken Kutaragi is the header of Sony Computer Entertainment.
Are the greedy or what? He comments that because the ps3 is like nothing else they should raise the price because it incorporates a lot of functionality. People will, without doubt, but it, but PLEASE think a little about us, too, you greedy bastards! Who can afford to pay $600 for a game console here?
Good thing they haven't upped the prices and won't but this guy is serious idiot.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:
Who can afford to pay $600 for a game console here?

I can, but that's besides the point. :)

I don't see this as greed at all.

The PS3 is really the first console to really grab hold of new technology and incorporate it into the console.

How long did the Sega CD come out after CD's hit the market? PS2 and XBox after DVD?

I'd be REALLY interested to see what kind the cost per unit is for the PS3.

I know that MS was losing bunches of money on each XBox, and I'm sure the same is going to be the case for the PS3 until Blue Ray becomes a much more common technology.

When it comes down to it, the move by MS to NOT include HD-DVD support in the XBox shouldn't be a surprise, as it was going to jack up the cost per unit, and thus the cost on the store shelf.

The initial Blue Ray DVD players are probably going to top $1000.

(Apparently I have to hammer this home...)

So... if you really want Blue Ray, you're going to pay the $500 for a PS3 and have a great game console, or you're going to wait another year for Blue Ray DVD players to drop in price.

WhiteX

But Blu-Ray is not the standard, if HD-DVD becomes the standard, your post would be like...

The PS3 is really the first console to really grab hold of dead technology and incorporate it into the console....
So... if you really want Blue Ray, go to a museum, it is right next to Betamax tapes and MD´s.