What's new

The E3 Thread

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:
Revolution = 250$
PS3 (Lame name) = 499$ or 599$

What were the prices for the Gamecube and PS2 when they came out?

And who won in the end?

And btw, it's not the "Revolution", it's the "Wii". Talk about a fucking lame name. :)

Bluesummers

smegforbrain said:

And who won in the end?

And btw, it's not the "Revolution", it's the "Wii". Talk about a fucking lame name. :)

at least nintendo is creative enough to come up with a new name, sony has only been able to give a console one name, and then they add a number too it,

and now they try to steall the Wii remote thing.

Sony can go die. Go Microsoft and Nintendo.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:

And who won in the end?

I know the name and I still prefer Revolution.
And what I'm pointing out here is that Sony is as usual overpricing their hardware and makes us suffer while Nintendo sells theirs at a reasonable price.

And yes, Sony ripped off Nintendos controller. This new model came after Nintendo showed their control at Tokyo's Game Show last year. Sony is fearing Nintendo will win with their innoviate controller. How pathetic they are, Sony... they can't name a console. They can't bring out reasonably pricy hardware. And they even steal.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Bluesummers said:
at least nintendo is creative enough to come up with a new name, sony has only been able to give a console one name, and then they add a number too it,

and now they try to steall the Wii remote thing.

Sony can go die. Go Microsoft and Nintendo.

Yes nintendo did come up with a new name Wii, and I applaude them for always coming up with a new name, but its not the name alone that sells the console, its mostly the games or the popularity of the consoles.

Yes nintendo did come up with the remote thing, but wasn't the psx the first "successful" console to use cds and now look at everybody else. People are gonna copy other people, it makes for good competition.

I kinda hate hearing fanboys say stuff like die sony, die microsoft, die nintendo. Why not actually try the systems out before saying stuff like that. Sure I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but I still went and bought an Xbox. I think that with the power the Xbox 360 has, it will still fall short if it doesnt get a better game lineup. Thats the only reason I can think of why the Xbox didnt win against the ps2.

Looking at how things are going now, I really can't decide on who is gonna win this time around. But each console has its own unique things. The xbox 360 came out first, so it has an advantage over everybody else, the PS3 is gonna use the new cell processor technology which will make games better, and the Wii will have a cool remote and also have older games available to download which is cool as hell. I personally will buy the ps3 and the Wii, and maybe the xbox 360 if they get a game that I actually think is worth playing.

Doomulation

revl8er said:
Looking at how things are going now, I really can't decide on who is gonna win this time around. But each console has its own unique things. The xbox 360 came out first, so it has an advantage over everybody else, the PS3 is gonna use the new cell processor technology which will make games better, and the Wii will have a cool remote and also have older games available to download which is cool as hell. I personally will buy the ps3 and the Wii, and maybe the xbox 360 if they get a game that I actually think is worth playing.
This is debatable ;)
Sony is having tremendous trouble with the Cell chip last I saw. And I think developers are going to have a hard time developing for the console, as well, due to its complexity and bottlenecks. But we shall see...

As nintendo puts it (and which has proven to be true), it is the games that makes a console successful. Whichever gets the most cool and good games gets the throne.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Doomulation said:
Sony... they can't name a console.

Well it's hardly a title exclusive to Sony for this generation, is it.

Anyway - E3. I can't say anything has really impressed me thus far. The Halo 3 trailer was extremley dull, Mario Galaxy on the Wii looks worse than an N64 game, PS3 has no decent games.

The only thing to get me semi-excited so far has been the Test Drive Unlimited demo (which was seriously flawed), and Lost Planet.

Hoping for more as the week unfolds.

Doomulation

Jaz said:
Anyway - E3. I can't say anything has really impressed me thus far. The Halo 3 trailer was extremley dull, Mario Galaxy on the Wii looks worse than an N64 game, PS3 has no decent games.
Remember that the games weren't designed for such big screens, which kinda explains why it is so pixely. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption seems very promising! With revolution's new controller, it makes it all the more fun! At least from what I read from an IGN interview with the game.

smegforbrain

revl8er said:
but its not the name alone that sells the console, its mostly the games or the popularity of the consoles.

I dunno. I find it highly amusing that, in the same breath somebody bitches and moans about the next Sony console being called the PS3, they say "Go Microsoft!", when Microsoft is just as lame with calling their system the XBox 360.

Go, consistency, go!

revl8er said:
People are gonna copy other people, it makes for good competition.

Yep, which means we have some fanboys here who don't want to have a serious discussion with anybody else; they just want to puff out their chests with baseless arguments to try and make everything else other than Their System sound like shit.

And I've already read tons of other inane and ridiculous comments about the PS3 on other forums too.

Things like: "Well, in 6 months, computers will have better graphics, so why bother with a PS3?"

And yet, this guy probably owns every other console that came out, and the same thing happened to every other console.

Nobody seems to be using their higher brain functions. :p

revl8er said:
Thats the only reason I can think of why the Xbox didnt win against the ps2.

Well, when you look at the global market, it's easy to see why the XBox didn't win: they aren't taking into account the tastes of those outside the US. Japan in particular.

And, from what I've heard, the XBox 360 is doing no better in Japan than the XBox did.

Hell, the XBox didn't even take into account all tastes of those in the US. My friend bought Fable for XBox when it came out, beat it in a couple of days. Then I went and bought him another RPG to play, telling him that that was about it for RPG's on the XBox, and he should've gotten a PS2 if he wanted a nice variety of RPG's to play; he already had Elder Scrolls 3 for PC.

revl8er said:
and the Wii will have a cool remote and also have older games available to download which is cool as hell.

And everybody's saying how great the Wii will be... based on the controller.

Well, I can't say that the controllers of the last 20 years have been utter failures, so this isn't a selling point of the Wii to me at all. I just don't see how this "revolutionary" controller is going to change console gaming forever, as Nintendo has tried to say from the start.

In the end, I don't think the price of the PS3 will be a huge deterrant in the long run. For me, at least, I'm not getting one right away anyways - I'll wait for the 2nd generation of PS3's to be released, to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

That, and I won't own a PS3 or XBox 360 (even if I wanted one) until I get myself an HD tv - why have the darn thing if I can't fully enjoy it? :)

In the end, I think the strategies of both the PS3 and the XBox 360 have some serious flaws, but both will do well in the end.

What's really going to kill us, the consumer, is this stupid & awful impending 2nd generation DVD war where, contrary to what anybody thinks or says they know, is still up in the air as to who will come out on top.

smegforbrain

Jaz said:
PS3 has no decent games.

Well, regardless of the rest of the market, I'm looking forward to what Koei has in store for the PS3.

Yeah, I'm a major Dynasty Warriors addict, and Blade Storm: Hundred Years War, has me excited.

That, and I haven't passed up any FF game (save for 11) in forever. :)

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Jaz said:
Well it's hardly a title exclusive to Sony for this generation, is it.

The only thing to get me semi-excited so far has been the Test Drive Unlimited demo (which was seriously flawed), and Lost Planet.

Hoping for more as the week unfolds.

The Xbox 360 got more exclusives?

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:

Erm, how is Sony trying to do an online thing copying XBox Live? It's not like XBox Live was a new concept either (Sega had something online, iirc).

In the end, that article really doesn't say anything at all about what this guy really thinks about the PS3... as revl8er said, taking technologies from other companies is nothing new here, so I don't see why you're getting such a jolly when Sony gets called out for doing it.

Hell, Microsoft has built themselves upon stealing from others... Windows GUI was taken from Apple, which took it from Xerox. Go fig.

Besides, like Ubisoft is really going to shun the PS3. Hocking might as well put the gun in his mouth now and pull the trigger if he really thinks that's a smart strategy.

Doomulation

But Sony did not think about creating an online service. However, when the xbox 360 launched and it became so popular, THEN they copy it. They are bloody copycats. They even copy Nintendo's motion sensing capabilities.

smegforbrain

Well, when you can prove to me that you are a Sony executive, to know for certain that they never considered an online service (FFXI would seem to indicate otherwise, btw, since it was for PS2, so the possibility would have to have been considered at some point).

And you don't even bother to address the fact that Microsoft wasn't the first to come up with such a serivce, nor have you bothered to address all the other points that have been brought up.

As I said, lip service from a fanboy, nothing more.

Nor would I be surprised to hear about such a motion controller for the XBox 360 before long. But, all's fair as long as it's only ripping on Sony, right?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I do like Nintendo above others, but only because it feels like the orginal, the 'real thing'. I am kinda upset and bothered by what Sony is doing. Coping the motion sensor thing for one. It dosen't look like it works that smooth, but it could, I've only just seen the press confrences. But what really bugs me about it is it seems thrown in at the last minute. It looks like developers haven't even had the chance to use it yet, or they don't want to. It bothers me that sony, after working on their system however long, just throw extra stuff in the end, what if they mess something up? Do they have time to test it properly, or do they really care. My second issue is the price, $500-$600. Wow! I do understand though, that someone that has the money to get the HD TV of a decent size and at the highest quality, can probly afford the PS3. Part of the PS3's price issue is, I think, Sony want's to have all these new wave technoligies now, and right now is when that stuff is going to cost the most. My last tiff with sony is for that 2nd model, what do you get? 40 more gigs on your HD for just $100 more. Right now I can buy a 300 gig HD for a little over $100, so what's the deal there?

As for Wii, I'm excited. It's not just a sereies of upgrades, updates, and add-ons. It's something new. If it really lets me 'feel' like I'm controlling the game, how can you beat that?

As for microsoft, I haven't seen their show yet. I think the 360 is suppost to be more like a game system, and less like a computer, or maybe I heard the wrong thing somewhere. Either way, I am dissapointed that they released 2 systems, especialy since the cheaper one is just newerted, and probly not even worth it - you'll just need to upgrade it later to fully enjoy what the 360 will offer.

As far as who's better, I think Wii isn't really that same thing as Sony, and Xbox. This make comparing those systems a little hard. But between Sony and Microsoft, I think Microsoft is going to come out ahead.

Microsoft vs Nintendo, this all depends on what the majority go for, new and out there or tradtional with lots of upgrades. Both can be fun, so as long as they both do well, who cares.

Maybe later the PS3 prices could drop as the included technoligies get cheaper, they they don't have to screw over their customers so much. I know if after 1 or 2 years the PS3 drops to $150-$200, I'd pick it up, or find it at a thrift shop for the games.

Anyway, Wii could be a great thing, 360 is heading the right direction, PS3 has some fun looking games. And evil practices by companys that don't favor us, their customers, suck!

Doomulation

smegforbrain said:
Well, when you can prove to me that you are a Sony executive, to know for certain that they never considered an online service (FFXI would seem to indicate otherwise, btw, since it was for PS2, so the possibility would have to have been considered at some point).

And you don't even bother to address the fact that Microsoft wasn't the first to come up with such a serivce, nor have you bothered to address all the other points that have been brought up.

As I said, lip service from a fanboy, nothing more.

Nor would I be surprised to hear about such a motion controller for the XBox 360 before long. But, all's fair as long as it's only ripping on Sony, right?
Oh, please. Read carefully here.
Sony has never had a centralized online service. It was up to each company to make one available. Xbox got one online service from microsoft and instantly it became popular. Next, we see Sony saying that they will include one such service for the PS3. But only AFTER Microsoft had put it with their Xbox 360.
We see the sony's controller which they've probably been using for all these years they've spent developing the system. Last year, what did we see? Certainly not a motion sensor control. This year? Oh yes, it has sensor capabilities after that Nintendo at Tokyo Game Show revealed their controller.
And oh, hey! The controller looks completely different! I wonder... was it because they needed to rebuild it to make use of motion sensor? And I wonder why the rumble was left out...
To me - it makes sense. Sony copied it. They made a new controller prototype to copy nintendo. Because sony knew that nintendo's controller was very "revolutionizing."
It seems clear to me that when Sony finds that something "works well" or is "revolutionzing" or "cool," then they steal the idea for themselves. Come up with your own ideas for once, you stupid bastards! They can't even give their console a new name. Hey, I mean, even Microsoft didn't name the Xbox Xbox 2, but rather Xbox 360 - a new name with a significance. What significance is there in Playstation 3? Pathetic.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
CONSOLE WARS!!!!.. yeah!..

ehm... anyways, I was just gonna stop by and say that there is a lot of speculations about the theft of the controller, also heard someplace that the idea was old to sony but didn't really sound good to sony since giro-controllers have been tried in the past without any success at all.

I bet they put it in there in the end just to not be left out, since they like i guess Wii will come out first and then if possible some 3rd party games will be possible to port to the ps3 with some kind of similiar way of controlling.

Although you can see it's a bad copy, if it is a copy. I mean, i've tried gyro-controllers and they usually suck, the functionality kind of gets lost in all the buttons and stuff that you move. But the way that the Wiimote is designed and works is so very diferent (less buttons, grip can be done in many ways, nun-chuck etc.) and you don't hold it the same way, so my guess is this will trully work. Can't really tell untill i have one in my hands but i'm pretty sure it's gonna be a great console.

Also.

A word on naming, i don't know how much time and research Sony spend on naming their console and the design of it (i find it's an ugly mofo, personal opinion though). But i trully believe the machine will be the muscle monster of this generations, it would be a nice thing if it works the way they say. But knowing how Sony works (consider ps1, ps2, psp: bugs in hardware, hardware-design, software etc.) they will release a machine with bugs in the begining, and later release a fully working version. Wich is alright with me because it will take a few months to save up to buy the hd-tv, ps3 and a couple of games (wich i also guess will be expensive).

I've noticed that there is a gap, with xbox. I bet you noticed it too, of course i mean; xbox 2. Where did it go? Why didn't they call it the Xbox 2? Well my guess is that MS did do their homework and understood that the Xbox 2 (360) would come first. Wich means that by xmas 2006, consumers will have the choise of Xbox 2 or PlayStation 3. But, if they name their new console Xbox 360, it will be Xbox 360 VS PlayStation 3.

It's just basic market strategi i would guess but at least they put some time into doing that. Wich i think is good. That i don't really like the xbox360 much is a diferent more personal thing. Since i have one i am entitled to my own opinion :p (i will say it's the games, best games i've played are more fun on PC).

Last but not least, Wii. I think it's probably not the best name (oviously) but it's diferent, new and easy to remember. If anything it's one of those names you won't forget. Especially when you've had a few beers and need to weeee :p . It will be associated with things all the time. It will make you think of it. Like it or not, you will think about the Wii many more times in many more places than you have thought of consoles or games b4. Best name ever, now if they can hurry it up with the visor-addon "poo" :p .