What's new

The E3 Thread

WhiteX

Jaz said:
I couldn't of said it better myself.

The 360 and the Wii will make a perfect combo. Can't wait to get my Wii now.

As a matter of fact...

Microsoft on Wednesday sided with rival Nintendo in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony, saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

With the next-generation battle between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo heating up this week at the annual E3 Expo, the video game industry's largest trade show, the companies have taken shots at each other left right, though nothing this interesting has been said.

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Sony plans to sell their premium PS3 model for $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17, but Nintendo has not yet disclosed launch or pricing information for their upcoming Wii. However, the console is expected to launch in November for $199 to $249.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters, as if he were trying to sell the Wii to people.

"When I think on everything that we've got going right now that is real versus what Sony promises to do six, seven months from now, obviously we feel very good about where we stand."

It looks like the entire industry may have changed in just a matter of a few days. We'll bring you more on this very interesting story as it comes.

Source: Reuters

And for my Countrymen, Billy Gates himself stated yesterday on E3 that Brazil is schedule for an official release of the X360 console.

Last edited:

RatTrap

GODLIKE
I'm sure many of you like to discuss this in the way of: I like this console because this or that.

I think we should really look into what the companies behind the consoles are like.

-Microsoft-
This company has a lot of money, makes good use of some of it in research on for example; design, human-computer interactions and other types of program development. Just look at Office 2003, this program(s) has SO many diferent functions and ways of doing things. The design is great (i'm not saying it's goodlooking, but well designed) and functional and it's all very intuitive, meaning you can without knowing much about computers just jump in and use it. XP is pretty good in that way too.

So let's say that a company like this will make a good GUI for their console-system, i think that's a given. I'm not saying it's going to be beutyfull, no. But it should be a pretty good working, functional and easy to understand system. Also they are in it for the money. As you've seen before, MS don't really take super big risks. They don't need to, they have the money and when they see something good and new they buy it. It's how they've allways done things and i'm guessing that works for them and will continue to work for them.

I don't see why some talk badly about a company that wants money for their work. I know it's a monopolyzing piece of crap to some ppl but for me it's a cleaverly thoughtout series of events that have made this company so big and at the same time made it possible for all of us to be where we are today. Perhaps we would have been in a diferent place if they didn't exist, you could argue it would be a better place. But i'm pretty glad about where we are and where things are headed. Although i don't allways agree with everything they plan and i don't use everything they come up with. Since i'm not a fanboy and critic the company regularly for flaws they make like every other mortal out there in cyberland.

-Sony-
Sony, well. This company has a few systems out in the market too.....
Let me start with their mp3-players. You pay for what, good sound? Sure, the sound is pretty good. I've had 2 Sony mp3 players by now and i've actually found better sound in some odd named brands from Tai-Wan. I'm not going to argue though, if you buy a Sony Mp3-player you are garanteed great sound. But, at what price? Is the sound good enough to have to pay so much more? I don't think so. The design? Well, it's diferent i'll give you that and then some because usually the displays are better and "cooler". But do you really need that? Does that make your listening experience feel better in a Sony? Mine does not.

I guess i should say something about the Vaio, i don't know what to say other than it's just as stupid as buying a ferrari red Acer laptop. Sorry if someone has one but to me it's ridicules and i only see ppl who don't know much about computers with those. There is a guy in my class who owns one and i feel sorry for him, nobody talks to him and everyone makes fun of him. Simply put, way to expensive for the design and not enough power. Even normal power. Sure if you have the money go for it but then don't bitch later when your laptop can't do half the things my much more powerfull, cheaper 13" Packard Bell can do. To me it's Simple, I'm not saying Sony are shit. I'm saying it's their biz-strategi, a smart one at that.

Sony doesn't sell their products to me, their products are aimed at ppl with more money and that care more about the outside than the inside than i do. People that actually care that it's an expensive product and want it that way. The toy, more than the use. We are all diferent and i know it may seem like i'm attacking a group of ppl and calling them something like, "simple" and "stupid" or something like that but that is really not the case. I did own the PS2, although it was to me, overpriced and the Xbox, althouh overpriced aswell and i probably will buy the PS3 too.

But i mean, this company normally asks more money for their products. Why is that, is it because they hate us? No, it's because they sell their products this way. There's a big amount of ppl that see something cheaper than something else and rather buy the more expensive one. This fitts well with their idea. This is their market-strategi, to sell to the persons who care more about how certain things look. Be it design, sound or video. They sell to your primary senses like noone else.

It's for the buyer who sees something (a ps3 in action) and likes it. Sees something else beside it (Wii or 360 for example), decides the first one lookd better and looks at the price-tag. "So, that's why they are cheaper" and buys the ps3. The kind of person that doesn't really care about the other senses or doesn't have time for them. At least not at buy time. This is how most Sony products are sold i would guess. Of course after having the product at home for a while, the person understands it all better wich he didn't have time to understand when he bought the machine.

And at the same time, that kind of person will be content with this choise and will probably keep making the same choise. It's a well-known market-strategi to raise the price on something. Even though it's pretty good and not worth that much. If you make it really expensive. It has a more exclusive feel to it. For example if you live in a block where all the kids only could afford the Wii, and your dad comes home with a PS3. You will feel alot cooler, and even higher in status. Because you buy something expensive. Alot of ppl need this Status heightening purchase to feel good about themselfs. It's normal, I myself have done it a few times. Although i try to stay away from it.

-Nintendo-
Not much to say about these guys, other than what they do is really all for the games. As you know, it's all they do. It's where they get their money. It's where they spend their money. It's what makes them stay alive and they don't really overprice since they have allways had a very diferent way of thinking and about feeding this comunity wich is all the gamers.

The gamers keep saying things like; Nintendo is not for the core-gamers. But honestly my opinon is diferent. Nintendo is the only one who has allways been for the core-gamers. The problem is that the core-gamers aren't who you think they are. You think your a hardcore-gamer because you play a few shoot-em ups and play a new game that comes out now and then. Sorry my friend, you are not. My friends grandpa plays those games with his office buddies every friday. You think your a core-gamer because you have a console. Sorry, you are not automatically one.

You are a core-gamer i would say, if you trully love games. Since when has being a core-gamer had to do with playing one or two types of games all the time? never. If you play sport-games. I don't feel your even a gamer. I feel you should get out and do it instead. It's what i do when i wanna do some sports. Now, if everyone did that instead of satt on their ass playing EA-Sports we would have a bunch of creative inteligent people released from the clutches and wipping of EA. And also the weight on the world would probably go down a few hundreds of tons (i'm looking at you US-fat-ppl).

A simple gamer i would say is the type of gamer that does what he has allways done. Point and shoot, or drive a car or kick a ball. Or maybe follow a franchise that allways is the same.

A core-gamer is the kind of gamer that isn't scared of colors. Isn't scared of enjoying a new way of resolving puzzles. Isn't scared of finding a new way of controlling something to form a strategi to beat a monster. It's not about thinking that since a game doesn't have blood, it's not interesting. Or since it doesn't have the best graphics in the world, it's not interesting. Being a core-gamer to me is more usually a thing about the gameplay and where the game takes you and what the game actually makes you think.

To me, it's not about how MUCH you play games. It's about how varied your playtime is spent. If you play very diferent games, you learn new things and new ways of doing things.

I love, shoot-emups, race-games, chezz-games. Heck, i love almost all games with the exception of Barbie's Dollhouse games and such. But if all you do, is play one or the other or just stick to one franchise without even knowing what your talking about when you open your mouth about the others. I don't consider you a core-gamer.

I'm not saying that's wrong though, ppl should realize what kind of gamer they are and stick to what they like or if curiousity for new things is what you like then stick to being curious. If you want to become more curious then become it. If you've been curious all your life and feel like relaxing and found a genre you trully love then get stuck on it (curiosity killed the cat anyway). It's really up to you. Everyone is diferent, no need to fight about it. It's NOT nessesarilly a good thing to be a core-gamer i think. Especially if your 25 and live with your mom :p .

-Franchises-
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Halo, GT, FF and a whole bunch more are all good. You can basicly put these games in version evolution categories just for shits'ngiggles...

Mario & FF-games: allways change alot, for each game you have new ways of doing similiar things or new things to do in similiar ways etc. Most look the same though. Alhough Characters change alot in FF where they don't in Mario.

Zelda, Metroid & Halo: Zelda being the one with most puzzles and with most change of the 3. To me they kind of fitt in a similiar category. Metroid usually has a lot more than just shooting. Alot of stratgi to it, Halo has some of that but it has more action. These 3 games don't usually change as much.

Now, the twist is (going back to Nintendo). Every one of the Nintendo games even Zelda and Metroid wich don't change THAT much other than the new story. Have a complete change and you play the games in a completly new way. This is something that is made just for the core-gamers. Not for you who don't like change. Not for you who want your old game to come out with better graphics and sound. But for you who want to play old and new games in a new game and have the posibility to play the old fashion way too. I guess you've seen the normal gamepad for the Wii. It look like a mix of Xbox360 gamepad and GC Gamepad.

I'm not chosing sides. I honestly see the three as being very diferent companies with very diferent aprowches to putting their consoles on the map. It's not so much about them only though. I mean, sure the power of the machines is up to them. But the rest is up to developers right? Unless you do something very diferent, like the Wii. Then it's not just up to the games that come out from devlopers but also it's up to the gimic of the console. But it is a big risc.

Anyways, i think it's a valid point i'm making. I don't see myself as a core-gamer anymore but simply because of time. I'm older and work a lot, so i don't have the time anymore. But when i do play, i do try to play some odd games to see something new. Also i do go on WOW and i still have my group of ppl y play UT2k4 with. I also sometimes play Diablo2 Lod and some old arcade games. But like i said, it's not as often as i would like :)

Whoa. That got long.... hehe, i write too fast :) .

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

Wow, the more I read this thread, the more I like it, I really like to see that Im not the only one who thinks the same way about nintendo and sony, as I do. I totally agree with RatTrap. And what whiteX had to say was also pretty interesting. I feel kinda out of place, being in high school, and being a nintendo freak. But Im not the type to conform so I really dont care, and it doesnt repel the girls. What Im trying to say is that I like Nintendo, they are a company of nonconformists. They dont try to be the best, and they think up their own ideas rather than copying off of someone else, or trying to have a more powerful system and charge more. On the other hand, I hate what sony is doing. They try to be the best, and do it by conforming to everything. They never change or trying something new. They just wait for some other company to try something, and if it works, they copy off of the idea and make it flashy and more expensive with "better" specs, and they manage to get alot of sales with that strategy, which pisses the heck out of me. Also, they really need to think of a different name, "playstation" is getting old.

Sola Kusanagi

Make it Make Money
im just waiting for konami to announce a Beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution game for the PS3

also waiting for Bandai to let the cat out the bag with .Hack//GU

mainly waiting for Beatmania IIDX 11th Style RED or 12th Style Happy Sky
konami's been pissing me off with there DDR mixes theres only 1 song im looking for that is MAX.(period) by 2MB (Naoki Maeda)

the Sonic: wildfire looks great :bouncy:

PS3 and the Wii are the only to Next Gen systems im gonna get

Clements

Blu-ray/HD-DVD drives will have to go down in price pretty fast to compete with the PS3/Xbox360 solution, so the hefty premium on Blu-ray/HD-DVD stand-alone drives and disc media that exists right now will disappear shortly after their launch.

I don't own a HDTV, but I do have three standard definition TVs altogether so do not care for anything over 480i, and I'd rather not replace my entire DVD collection, then buy a HDTV and a $600 PS3 just to watch some movies, especially when I already technically own four DVD players and the format war is not even decided yet.

If I wanted Blu-ray/HD-DVD, I'd get an internal rewriteable PC drive for back-ups as well as for movies. Right now, DVD discs are incredibly cheap in bulk packs for archival purposes, and store enough data for right now.

I'll take a Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime: Corruption instead, and leave the movie-watching to my existing Televisions and DVD players, and other media stuff to my gaming PC.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Totally agree with RatTrap, especially on Microsft and Sony.
Also I like how BlueFalcon7 said basically the same thing as Doomulation, but in a much less annoying way (sorry Doom, it was pretty annoying :D)

/agree x10

So... let's get back to how excited we are for the new games! New Marios and Zeldas wooo! I mean Wiii!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:
I can, but that's besides the point. :)

I don't see this as greed at all.

The PS3 is really the first console to really grab hold of new technology and incorporate it into the console.

How long did the Sega CD come out after CD's hit the market? PS2 and XBox after DVD?

I'd be REALLY interested to see what kind the cost per unit is for the PS3.

I know that MS was losing bunches of money on each XBox, and I'm sure the same is going to be the case for the PS3 until Blue Ray becomes a much more common technology.

When it comes down to it, the move by MS to NOT include HD-DVD support in the XBox shouldn't be a surprise, as it was going to jack up the cost per unit, and thus the cost on the store shelf.

The initial Blue Ray DVD players are probably going to top $1000.

(Apparently I have to hammer this home...)

So... if you really want Blue Ray, you're going to pay the $500 for a PS3 and have a great game console, or you're going to wait another year for Blue Ray DVD players to drop in price.
Who said we wanted a Blu-ray player? The ps3 is going to be a very poor player and the price will be very high. We are gamers. If we want to play DVDs or music or whatever, we buy the appropriate system, which I might add, when purchased seperately could induce much more quality than sony's crapware. We want the games, not the whole entertainment crap in the machine. They're just stuffing that in to make us pay more.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Here is some interesting reading.

Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp, saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

Now, Nintendo support is ironically probably of more advantage to Microsoft - if anyone can help them crack Japan, it's Nintendo.

Full article here.

I'm liking the "link-up" a lot! :)

BoggyB

++RatTrap, especially about the core gamers.

And yeah, Sony stuff tends to be very nice, but you do pay a prenium.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
It's about time someone unseat sony, they ride to high and mighty on shit hardware. Not that I don't enjoy my PS2, but its got the market saturation on crappiest games.

I'd sooner have the gamecube release lists, where 85% of games that come out for it are actually good, though releases are farther apart. Then the sony release list where there are 6 new games a week, and maybe 1 of them is good. That's not a good system for getting quality games. Though I did find a mint copy of Rez at my local EBGames for 40 bucks last week..

WhiteX

More on Wii...

LOS ANGELES--The registry information for wii.com shows that it was originally registered by timber and paper firm Willamette Industries, Inc. in 1994, a time when Nintendo's Super NES was duking it out with Sega's Genesis and Saturn. Just to put things in context, the original Sony PlayStation wasn't even out on the August day that Willamette Industries snapped up wii.com--it wouldn't hit shelves until the end of the year.

A lot of things have changed since then: two console generations have come and (almost) gone, and Willamette Industries is no more. The company was gobbled up in a hostile takeover by forest product behemoth Weyerhaeuser in 2002. Along with Willamette's plants, real estate, and equipment, Weyerhaeuser also gained ownership of its intangible assets--like the wii.com domain name.

Registry information shows that Weyerhaeuser is doing a good job of maintaining its claim to the domain: its registration fees are paid until 2009. The only way that Nintendo might be able to obtain the domain for its own use is by buying the domain outright from Weyerhaeuser.

Will Weyerhaeuser sell wii.com if the house of Mario comes knocking? GameSpot contacted the company to ask exactly that question. but Weyerhaeuser's legal department had not responded as of press time.

Take also a look at Gamefaqs poll of the day here...http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html
Looks like Sony might get dethroned.

Last edited:

Doomulation

Most seems to think Wii was the most spectacular one... but the ps3 also got a lot of votes. This still doesn't say if Sony will get dethroned, though. Interesting numbers though, nevertheless, but... We shall see.

WhiteX

Bombastic revelation at E3....
Satoru Iwata is gay!

Evidence:

iwatahair6fx.gif

Just kidding!

Last edited:

smegforbrain

WhiteX said:
But Blu-Ray is not the standard, if HD-DVD becomes the standard, your post would be like...

The funny thing about Betamax is that it had the better quality than VHS. Although, in the end, Betamax did survive in some ways. Betamax really got killed because it got in on the the home rental market first.

So, as I said, nobody knows for sure what is going to happen between the two formats. Regardless, Sony will have the leg up because they have theirs out first... unless there's some news about the XBox 360 and HD-DVD I haven't heard about.

RatTrap said:
As you've seen before, MS don't really take super big risks.

I dunno. All things considered, entering the video game market as a newbie, which MS was with the XBox, is a pretty big risk. The important thing is, as you said, they have the money to back it up, which makes it look like not as big of a risk.

Now, that said, Nintendo seems to be the one taking the big risk with the Wii, but they really do seem to enjoy the fact that they're a niche, and that they don't put out a console if it's only going to lose them money per unit.

Miretank said:
Blu Ray scares me. I am afraid with it's price.

In a way, it scares me too. But so does HD-DVD. In the end, it's the price you pay for new technology.

And as much as we all hate the prices, there's no fighting it beyond just waiting for the prices to drop, because all the media companies want this... they want to be able to push the next generation stuff.

I hate the idea of a format war, and in the end, I really could care less about the next generation DVD's, because I am not about to replace my current DVD's.

Clements, you make some great points as well, especially regarding the Blue Ray/HD-DVD writable drive - that's what I really want right now because of the increased storage space per disc versus DVD. :)

Doomulation said:
Who said we wanted a Blu-ray player?

Right... nobody complained when the XBox 360 was to come up with a HD-DVD player.

Everybody wants the new techonlogies because it helps make games look more realistic, among other things. Otherwise, you wouldn't be praising Microsoft.

Doomulation said:
The ps3 is going to be a very poor player and the price will be very high.

Once again, you're making very large assumptions.

And apparently you're not even reading my posts, as the initial price of a Blue-Ray DVD player is going to be over a grand. PS3 will be $500.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Doomulation said:
If we want to play DVDs or music or whatever, we buy the appropriate system,

Non sequitur.

Doomulation said:
We want the games, not the whole entertainment crap in the machine. They're just stuffing that in to make us pay more.

Then please, quit praising Microsoft for what they are doing, because Sony and Microsoft are doing the EXACT same things - trying to change the game console from just a console to an entertainment experience. MS is also trying to do this with computers, which is part of the reason why consoles are becoming more like computers.

Hexidecimal said:
I'd sooner have the gamecube release lists, where 85% of games that come out for it are actually good, though releases are farther apart. Then the sony release list where there are 6 new games a week, and maybe 1 of them is good. That's not a good system for getting quality games. Though I did find a mint copy of Rez at my local EBGames for 40 bucks last week..

Oh, come on.

You do realize how much utter crap is put out for the GBA, right?

How much utter crap is put out for PC?

Should we blame Nintendo and Microsoft for that, too?

When publishers are putting out games independently, you have no control over quality vs quanity, and nobody is forcing you to buy every game that comes out.

Btw, I found these comments on Cinescape amusing :D

#7 - mah19 [ May 12 2006, 9:36 am PDT ]
According to Nintendo they picked Wii because it sounds like the collective pronoun "we" and suggest the inclusive nature of the gaming experience on Wii. Of course, I don't understand why a company witha a core customer base of Japanese decided to go with a made up spelling of an english pronoun for their console's name.

And for once I feel for the French. They are going to walk into a store and ask the salesperson for a Yes. There are a million reasons this name was a terrible choice and not really any reasons it was a good choice.

#9 - otter1107 [ May 12 2006, 10:21 am PDT ]
Mah19? How would it be if the French went into a store asking for a "Revolution"? Just a funny thought.

Last edited:

Doomulation

smegforbrain said:
Right... nobody complained when the XBox 360 was to come up with a HD-DVD player.
But it isn't built-in like sony's crap.

Everybody wants the new techonlogies because it helps make games look more realistic, among other things. Otherwise, you wouldn't be praising Microsoft.
Let me set this straight: the only real console I'm interested in is Nintendo's Wii. I'm not praising microsoft, but I blame sony, and compare Microsoft to be higher on my list than Sony.

Once again, you're making very large assumptions.
Oh really? Who says the first out drives are not going to be buggy?

And apparently you're not even reading my posts, as the initial price of a Blue-Ray DVD player is going to be over a grand. PS3 will be $500.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Doesn't to me. A blu-ray title is way too expensive. I don't want a blu-ray player. If I wanted one, I would wait until the prices of the movies and the hardware drops. Stop including crap that increases the price!

Non sequitur.
Yes, we do! Because they often bring higher quality, and some of us already have a media system and are forced to buy another just because sony doesn't give a damn about us and are just trying to force things on us even if we even have it.

Then please, quit praising Microsoft for what they are doing, because Sony and Microsoft are doing the EXACT same things - trying to change the game console from just a console to an entertainment experience. MS is also trying to do this with computers, which is part of the reason why consoles are becoming more like computers.
Again, not praising microsoft. I believe in Nintendo who wants to make game consoles, not media consoles. That crap doesn't interest me.

#7 - mah19 [ May 12 2006, 9:36 am PDT ]
According to Nintendo they picked Wii because it sounds like the collective pronoun "we" and suggest the inclusive nature of the gaming experience on Wii. Of course, I don't understand why a company witha a core customer base of Japanese decided to go with a made up spelling of an english pronoun for their console's name.
"Ii" means good in japanese too.