What's new

The E3 Thread

BlueFalcon7

OK, I definetly agree with doom on this one. I think sony should die, I have never liked them. Something about the playstation just pissed me off. And then to see the PS2, an inferior system to the GC and the Xbox (hardware) sells way more than the other 2. The PSP on the other hand, I kinda liked, and got when it first came out, which I regret doing. I payed $250 USD and I only have 2 games, both which are racing games. The PSP doesnt have very many good games. it may have 333MHz and a nice GPU, but its still crap, and Im thinking of returning it with my warranty, and getting an XBox 360 or something like that. But with nintendo, I also have to agree with Doom. I have a DVD player, so I dont need another in a gaming consle. I also dont have a HDTV, and I dont plan on getting one for a while. So I dont need HDTV support. Besides, using higer resolutions limits the model and texture detail that the GPU can put out (basic rule of graphics processing, I have known that since elementary school.) So the graphic detail of the models in the Wii can be the same as the 360, with less GPU power because its at a lower resolution, and theres no AA (I dont think) and most people dont notice the difference because most people dont have a HDTV. Nintendo has really proved to me that they know what they are doing by not including HDTV support, and a DVD player. Most likely someones going to make an OS hack for the Wii to play DVDs.

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:
But it isn't built-in like sony's crap.

It was supposed to be.

Personally, I hate the idea that the XBox 360's HD-DVD is supposed to be some sort of upgrade/attachment. I want it all at once, not in bits and pieces later on.

So, bring on the PS3. :)

Doomulation said:
Oh really? Who says the first out drives are not going to be buggy?

Who says they are?

Doomulation said:
Stop including crap that increases the price!

Well, as I keep stressing: welcome to next generation gaming.

Obviously, enough people are willing to pay the price for the next console, regardless - they're already saying that if Sony is only going to have 4 million units available through the end of the year, there will be shortages... you'd think console manufacturers would've learned by now, but apparently not.

When it comes down to it, all the major players share the blame for how things stand today - they all feel they have to get a new machine out there around the same time as the other guys.

Doomulation said:
Because they often bring higher quality, and some of us already have a media system and are forced to buy another just because sony doesn't give a damn about us and are just trying to force things on us even if we even have it.

If you went and bought an XBox 360, would you care that it was yet another DVD player in your house? I doubt it.

Hell, my PS2 was my first DVD player, and it was more than sufficient, more so when I don't have a HD-TV to worry about. I abused the hell out of my first PS2, and it lasted 4 years before I had to replace it... a pretty good investment for $300.

But if I get a PS3, it's going to be for both PS3 games, and as my first Blue Ray player. I think a lot of people will look at it the same way, and people want more and more ways to use those expensive HD-tv's they've bought the last few years. Well, the gaming companies are catering.

Blue Ray or HD-DVD may become the standard some day, just like DVD did, and not many will really complain about having multiple devices around the house. It's just the way things go with technology these days. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:
It was supposed to be.
Well... it wasn't, and if it were supposed to be, then I would definetly complain. I don't like that included in the price.

Personally, I hate the idea that the XBox 360's HD-DVD is supposed to be some sort of upgrade/attachment. I want it all at once, not in bits and pieces later on.

So, bring on the PS3. :)
I find that very good. If I don't want that, then why should I have to pay for it?

Who says they are?
The first generation drives with a new format is always buggy - and expensive to produce. No denying that.

Well, as I keep stressing: welcome to next generation gaming.

Obviously, enough people are willing to pay the price for the next console, regardless - they're already saying that if Sony is only going to have 4 million units available through the end of the year, there will be shortages... you'd think console manufacturers would've learned by now, but apparently not.

When it comes down to it, all the major players share the blame for how things stand today - they all feel they have to get a new machine out there around the same time as the other guys.
Indeed. But still at the same time, would you be happier to pay $250 for a system rather than $600? I sure would be, because I will not shell out that much money for a console. And hey, how many do you think there are that cannot afford such a price? :plain:
Yes, people will get it, but I sure bet they would be happier if the system was cheaper, because some of us needs to make a living too.

If you went and bought an XBox 360, would you care that it was yet another DVD player in your house? I doubt it.
Perhaps not, but it's one thing that sucks up my money and I don't like to pay for that when I have a true system with a DVD player that cost around $600 or so. A fine investment, so why do I need that stupid DVD player which obviously won't be as good as a standalone both in features and compability most likely.

Hell, my PS2 was my first DVD player, and it was more than sufficient, more so when I don't have a HD-TV to worry about. I abused the hell out of my first PS2, and it lasted 4 years before I had to replace it... a pretty good investment for $300.

But if I get a PS3, it's going to be for both PS3 games, and as my first Blue Ray player. I think a lot of people will look at it the same way, and people want more and more ways to use those expensive HD-tv's they've bought the last few years. Well, the gaming companies are catering.

Blue Ray or HD-DVD may become the standard some day, just like DVD did, and not many will really complain about having multiple devices around the house. It's just the way things go with technology these days. :)
I got a DVD Player LONG, LONG, LONG before I got a ps2. And even though I have a ps2 now, i NEVER EVER use it as a dvd player. It's a game console and that's it. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but... the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray specs aren't finalized yet. What does that mean? Probably if you buy a Blu-Ray player now (aka ps3), it will not be able to play some titles and it might also have compability problems later.
A stand alone player would most likely be cheaper and more compatable later. And who pays for the fekking media the games have to use? US! Who pays for Sony's stupid HD decision? US! In the end, we suffer! The prices of the games AND the consoles go up by a fair amount.
Thank you very much, Sony, but no thank you. I will stay with nintendo no matter how much you try to steal things from everyone else you pathetic scum.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
For the record, I still don't own a standalone DVD player. A DVD player was one of the reasons I bought a PS2 in the first place.

But anyway, keep at it.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I use my ps2 all the time as a dvd player and haven't had a problem with it.

Ok, now on the topic of the different types. Ok the ps3 will be using blue ray, yes it will be more expensive, but gamers are gonna buy it as long as the games are worth buying. Other people are gonna buy it just because it looks so damn good. The Xbox 360 doesnt have built in hdtv, but whats to say that games aren't gonna require you to fork out an extra cash to get the hdtv attachment later on. There is no way to say what is gonna happen.

On to nintendo now, I really appreciate how they are just sticking to gaming. It just feels good to see that somebody knows what gamers truely want with a system. Sure the gfx of the other systems are nice, but if Nintendo can get more games out that aren't child oriented and keep the Zelda and Mario games pouring in then it could very well beat the other 2.

The ps3 already has an advantage over the other 2 systems considering that the psx and ps2 obliterated its competition for the past consoles. With the price increase, I doubt that is really gonna be a downside because people are gonna pay for what they like. That is like if you see a car that runs perfectly and has low mileage for $5000 and then u see a sportscar that you want for $10,000. If you have the money you will get the sportscar because its what you like. Thats just how people are today. Sure there are a lot of people who are mad because sony is supposedly stealing ideas. Well everybody stold ideas from the turbo graphix 16 since it was the first home console. Not to mention that everybody stole online gaming from pc gaming so dont just say that sony stole from nintendo because of a controller.

Now onto microsoft. Really cant say much about them right now. I havent seen a game right now that catches my eyes yet. Their system came out first, big deal. If they cant get good exclusives besides halo then what are they gonna have. Now I do admit that microsoft was the first console that had a successful online service and I give them credit on that. But what do you get on it, you have fps games such as halo, you have online racing, you have online sports, and of course mmorpg. You can get all that on the PC. Now don't get me wrong, I play xbox live. I do enjoy playing conkers live and reloaded and also enjoy playing Halo 1 and 2 online against people. Its just that I dont consider online play the major thing in gaming, and shouldn't be the biggest thing on a console like on the xbox.

All in all this will be a great console wars, just dont base everything on price or on hardware. Just wait and see what games are coming out for all the systems and then decide. I know for sure I'm buying all 3 because I'm the type of guy that thinks that each system will have something that I will enjoy playing.

WhiteX

I am a man of one passion only, not for fanboyism, but for cash restraints.

However i do agree with revl8er, price and new hardware are nothing, games are everything, in this i side with Wii, Why? Oh, well, M$ had their one out first but the stream of games is still slow, Fable 2 is a good promise, so is Halo 3 but they are not enough to keep it going, if more comes up, M$ could have an edge with guys like me.

Sony made their one unbuyable for the "one passion man" because of price, i do understand that north of the globe things are different and there is all that matters to them but some may have only one gaming system at the house, not everyone is a hardcore gamer, plus the Rockstar exclusivity contract wore off for next gen, maybe others wear off as well.

Nintendo made it all easy, lower graphs but still able to be ported, good games, innovations, all a man can want for his passion!

Now, once i said that M$ could take this one off, now i believe that the second place "tie" we had on current gen will be carried on but on the first place, with Sony in a close third.

EDIT: Lil´quote from Myiamoto-san:

As we see the other consoles get more and more PC like in their nature, it's only natural to try and use more PC-like functions in terms of downloads and things like that. You know, Nintendo really focuses on entertainment and we've really created the Wii to be this entertainment device that couples with your television set that anyone in the household can find entertainment value in. So in that sense we're not focusing so much on extemporaneous functionality so much as what kind of core entertainment value we can include in the hardware that everyone in the household will be able to enjoy.

One of the functions that we've added to the hardware that we think will really add to this is the Wii Connect24 feature, where Wii is the only hardware system that is connected to the internet 24 hours a day, that also means your television will then be connected to the internet 24 hours a day and that would allow for different types of functionality and different types of entertainment for everyone in the household. Additionally, we're not looking at including unnecessary types of functionality that would unnecessarily increase the cost of the system, we want it to be very affordable so everyone can really enjoy it and then will take advantage of these functionalities. Wii Connect24 will not necessarily allow for the downloading of massive content, but rather using that functionality allowing for packets of data to be traded back and forth between different players, and having that give birth to different styles of gameplay.

EDIT2: a fact...

Thursday saw an average queue waiting time for the Wii of over four hours while those wanting some hands-on action with the PS3 were faced with a 30 minute wait. The waiting time problem was so dramatic that after 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time they had to stop allowing people into the line because there was no way they would be able to see the console before the convention center closed three hours later

Last edited:

Doomulation

revl8er said:
Ok, now on the topic of the different types. Ok the ps3 will be using blue ray, yes it will be more expensive, but gamers are gonna buy it as long as the games are worth buying.
Yes, I know they will. But still I, myself, would not pay that much if possible. They are practically stealing money from us. Buy everything or nothing.

Other people are gonna buy it just because it looks so damn good.
Now that's just stupid :plain:

The Xbox 360 doesnt have built in hdtv, but whats to say that games aren't gonna require you to fork out an extra cash to get the hdtv attachment later on. There is no way to say what is gonna happen.
Well, first: no announcement has been made that says the hd-dvd is to be able to be used for games. And well, second... some games just doesn't require it, does it? If you just buy those games then you could get away with not requiring it... and it it does, then well... you include it.

The ps3 already has an advantage over the other 2 systems considering that the psx and ps2 obliterated its competition for the past consoles. With the price increase, I doubt that is really gonna be a downside because people are gonna pay for what they like. That is like if you see a car that runs perfectly and has low mileage for $5000 and then u see a sportscar that you want for $10,000. If you have the money you will get the sportscar because its what you like. Thats just how people are today. Sure there are a lot of people who are mad because sony is supposedly stealing ideas. Well everybody stold ideas from the turbo graphix 16 since it was the first home console. Not to mention that everybody stole online gaming from pc gaming so dont just say that sony stole from nintendo because of a controller.
For the stealing part... please note that sony likes to steal nintendo ideas. They stole the rumble idea, for example. Whenever nintendo has invented something, sony steals the idea and claims it as its own. It's so lame. They never invent anything on their own except super-hyper hardware that is buggy and costs a lot. I mean, hey, what does their next-gen really do? Besides graphics?
And as for the cost... yes, that's how people are. But there are also the poor ones out there who wants a system and can't afford it because sony puts in a lot of crap into it. It's like downloading the entire nero 7 just to install nero burning rom. So it is 1) waste of money 2) waste of time (time to save up to that money). Why can't they price the console with a low cost and make us all happy and all able to afford it? Of course not, that's sony for you.

Now onto microsoft. Really cant say much about them right now. I havent seen a game right now that catches my eyes yet. Their system came out first, big deal. If they cant get good exclusives besides halo then what are they gonna have. Now I do admit that microsoft was the first console that had a successful online service and I give them credit on that. But what do you get on it, you have fps games such as halo, you have online racing, you have online sports, and of course mmorpg. You can get all that on the PC. Now don't get me wrong, I play xbox live. I do enjoy playing conkers live and reloaded and also enjoy playing Halo 1 and 2 online against people. Its just that I dont consider online play the major thing in gaming, and shouldn't be the biggest thing on a console like on the xbox.
I think they've added fun things to the console like being able to watch a race if you can't play. That's at least something! And with demos to download it all gets interesting... that's how I feel anyway.

All in all this will be a great console wars, just dont base everything on price or on hardware. Just wait and see what games are coming out for all the systems and then decide. I know for sure I'm buying all 3 because I'm the type of guy that thinks that each system will have something that I will enjoy playing.
And I know I'm definetly getting Wii, probably Xbox 360 and then it remains to be seen if I can afford Ps3 and if it is worth it only for FF.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Doomulation said:
Yes, I know they will. But still I, myself, would not pay that much if possible. They are practically stealing money from us. Buy everything or nothing.

Well I understand where you are going with this, I know I dont feel like spending that much, but I know its gonna be a solid system so I will pay the money for it.

Doomulation said:
Now that's just stupid :plain:

Well some of the so called true gamers just buy games because of how they look.

Doomulation said:
Well, first: no announcement has been made that says the hd-dvd is to be able to be used for games. And well, second... some games just doesn't require it, does it? If you just buy those games then you could get away with not requiring it... and it it does, then well... you include it.

Well knowing how microsoft is they will try to get more money off people by making the games require it in the future.

Doomulation said:
For the stealing part... please note that sony likes to steal nintendo ideas. They stole the rumble idea, for example. Whenever nintendo has invented something, sony steals the idea and claims it as its own. It's so lame. They never invent anything on their own except super-hyper hardware that is buggy and costs a lot. I mean, hey, what does their next-gen really do? Besides graphics?
And as for the cost... yes, that's how people are. But there are also the poor ones out there who wants a system and can't afford it because sony puts in a lot of crap into it. It's like downloading the entire nero 7 just to install nero burning rom. So it is 1) waste of money 2) waste of time (time to save up to that money). Why can't they price the console with a low cost and make us all happy and all able to afford it? Of course not, that's sony for you.

Why are you only referring to sony stealing ideas. Look at the Dreamcast, look at the Xbox and the Xbox 360. Dont they all have the rumble feature also.
Ok, if you think about it gfx is where the market is going now with the exception of nintendo. Thats what the new generation wants. I on the other hand could care less about it, but Sony is gonna do what the people want hands down. If the people want to have good gfx then thats what they give them. What can the Xbox360 do? Its about gfx too. So since they do what the people want the console is gonna cost more thats just how business is today. Sure not everybody is gonna be able to afford it at the beginning, but in the furture they will eventually get it.

Doomulation said:
And I know I'm definetly getting Wii, probably Xbox 360 and then it remains to be seen if I can afford Ps3 and if it is worth it only for FF.

I too will be getting the Wii and the ps3, but I dont know if the Xbox360 is gonna be worth getting just for Halo3 and KOTOR3.

Hawq

Because I dont see it in here & because it may fit this e3 thread better than the gaming forum (if not it'll end up moved no doubt) the DOAX2 trailer torrent in case anyone cares that is, if not itll be ignored.

BlueFalcon7

Thursday saw an average queue waiting time for the Wii of over four hours while those wanting some hands-on action with the PS3 were faced with a 30 minute wait. The waiting time problem was so dramatic that after 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time they had to stop allowing people into the line because there was no way they would be able to see the console before the convention center closed three hours later
now thats saying something...
Doomulation said:
Why can't they price the console with a low cost and make us all happy and all able to afford it? Of course not, that's sony for you.
Finally people are understanding, and seeing through to the dark side of Sony.

Sony just pissed me off from the start. Their electronics made me mad because of how overpriced they were. The PS1 made me mad when I saw that the controllers copied off Nintendo with the thumb joystick, and then the rumble. Now to see Sony copy off of Nintendo with tilting the controller, just pisses me off even more. Why cant Nintendo just patent their idea? Anyways, I Hope this Blue Ray thing is Sony's downfall, and I hope they have a melting problem with the 8 core processing system.

To all of you at this community:
Are you going to buy a PS3, and support a company that cant think up their own ideas? one that has to revert to having the most powerful system and having to include everything? one that charges you and keeps all your money?

Or would you rather support a company like Nintendo that doesnt listen to anyone and always thinks up their own next big idea for the better of gaming, and for us? one that tries to be good, but doesnt care if they are the best, and to have to make their next consle the most powerful?

Sony must realize that they have crossed the line. $500 USD is way too much! Besides If blue ray discs are anything like DVDs, than it won't take much to hurt them with scratches, I have had small scratches on my DVDs and the movies mess up. I dont want to see what it will be like with Blue ray discs.

Doomulation

revl8er said:
Well knowing how microsoft is they will try to get more money off people by making the games require it in the future.
But that's beside the point ;)

Why are you only referring to sony stealing ideas. Look at the Dreamcast, look at the Xbox and the Xbox 360. Dont they all have the rumble feature also.
I suppose... but sony outright stole the idea and included it in a new controller as soon as it was introduced and released it later. Nintendo themselves said that they kept the controller secret because they knew it was going to be copied in some way/ways. And again, we see sony steal the idea of tilt from nintendo and bundle it with their next system because nintendo announced it. Does microsoft plan on it? Not to my knowledge. Sony steals because they don't want their system to be left out and so that they can charge more forthe whole thing.

Ok, if you think about it gfx is where the market is going now with the exception of nintendo. Thats what the new generation wants. I on the other hand could care less about it, but Sony is gonna do what the people want hands down. If the people want to have good gfx then thats what they give them. What can the Xbox360 do? Its about gfx too. So since they do what the people want the console is gonna cost more thats just how business is today. Sure not everybody is gonna be able to afford it at the beginning, but in the furture they will eventually get it.
And how you asked gamers what they want? Perhaps they want better games? No buggy, expensive ones. Sony doesn't care one thing about what the gamers want. They put more horsepower into the machine to support blu-ray and HD. And to charge more from customers.
Microsoft? Yes, they include more horsepower but they also develop the Xbox Live, which is their idea. Sony does not have one such idea.

Also remember that all idea may not be new. I mean, there have been things such as the Wii controller before, but it got really popular. And the online thingy already exists but still, a new idea with enhancements and better than before.

Hawq said:
Because I dont see it in here & because it may fit this e3 thread better than the gaming forum (if not it'll end up moved no doubt) the DOAX2 trailer torrent in case anyone cares that is, if not itll be ignored.
What are the details of this? There is the original trailer over @ IGN which looks beautiful too, and rightly so. I would recommend it unless this one is better.

Clements

Things aren't looking too hot for Sony in the Stock Market right now. There has been a steady decline in share price since they announced the launch date and price of the PS3.

smcd

Here's my take :p Clicky for animated goodness, minus the poor cropping job.

(I love being bored.)

revl8er

That Damn Good
Bluefalcon, nintendo cant patent the thing because they arent the first to come up with using motion sensors.

Doomulation, yes sony did copy nintendo with the rumble, but at least they built it into the controller. When are u guys gonna understand that sony isnt the only one copying people. Every business will copy another because if something is done right and is making money then the other companies are gonna wanna make money on it.

As for the gfx thing, if you think about it there is a decline in true gamers who actually care about the game itself or at least where I stay at there is. I havent seen too many people who actually care about gameplay anymore and put gfx about all other things. It might just be where I stay at, but thats what I see.

Doomulation

revl8er: But sony is the only company now that copies in the game market, so deal with it.
About the gfx: people are blind. Sony & Microsoft only adds graphics prowess to their consoles instead of teaching people that there are other things than graphics. Why was the quene to Wii so long?

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well Doomulation, at least you are now saying that microsoft is doing it too and not blaming sony for it. Anyways with the way things are going now it seems the Wii is gonna be the more popular.

Clements

More bad news on the PS3 front, this time for UK gamers who are a little hard-up (a bit like myself).

If you wish to Pre-order the Premium PS3 at Gamestation, it will set you back £424.99. This gives an indication of what the final retail price will be.

That's $807 in US currency. Americans will pay $600 for the same console.

smegforbrain

Clements said:

Isn't like everything more expensive in Canada and Europe than in the US?

As horrible as the price is, it shouldn't be a surprise.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Clements said:

I think we're used to getting fucked over on price by now.

I'm in two minds about pre-ordering. On the one side, I don't want to be left out when they do come out. If we have another Xbox 360 fiasco and I don't pre-order then it may be months before I can get hold of a machine.

On the other hand, it's ALOT of money, and I'm not even sure if I want one yet.

So I'm torn.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
LOL

This ammused me:

ps3liebackend.jpg