What's new

Rice Daedalus 5.1.0-5.1.0d bug report thread

Nasorean

Hello again, here is a small bug report.

SETTINGS
win me
DX8.1a
detonator 30.82
deadalus Direct X options default with smooth texture option enabled
1964 8.5
cpu 666 (!) celeron
256 ram
MX420
AC97 audio

Castlevania & Castlevania: LOD (u)
no menu text on scrolls
no cinema text
no text in game messages
main menu & char select cursor not transparent
sky is smeared
large squares in place of particles of dust and fire
speed excellent

Mischeif Makers (e)
text is missing intermittently during cinema dialogue

Turok 2(u)
in menus the first letter in the text is the only letter shown throughout the menu. all text is shown but the first letter is the only one used
example: "ARROW" becomes "AAAAA"
"PISTOL" becomes "PPPPPP"

Resolution is amazing!!
speed is a tad too fast
weapon wheel contains garbage
HUD is garbage
blood splattering on floor creates white spots
polygons in fog flicker
some polygon tearing when walking against walls

Turok Rage Wars(u)
polygons flicker allowing one to see through walls
HUD garbage
weapon wheel is fine
speed good

Quake II
trails
missing lots of grafx
well done emulating this game its the first time its been done!!

Excitebike (e)
background, track textures, and track side objects white
particles are big squares
menu really screwed up
speed is good.

there will be no follow up to this report. i reset my computer and switched over to XP this weekend. will soon test these games and (many) more. i have almost every single N64 rom out there so i can help alot. just give me time to finish setting up my computer.

also what is the screen shot button?

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

dmac2003

Hardcore Tails fan
I heard that Rice made his plugin with a PIII 500 MHz CPU and 32 MB V.Ram and he said he can get it to run at a good speed. What settings does he use? My performance is a little slow, especially in full screen, and I only know a little about emulation. Thanks for any help. Check my profile for system specs.

Nasorean

so i set up my computer and did a few more tests.

all system specs are the same except drivers are now 40.73 WHQL and i am running window xp

Mario 64-- excellent

Turok 2 -- the polygon flickering in the fog is not as severe, but the game speed is still too fast.
The sound in the cinemas goes at the regular speed while the graphics are faster. This causes the narrative to be interrupted.

also the letters are doing the same thing with the repeating of the first letter.
ie "arrow" becomes "aaaaa"
"pistol" becomes "pppppp"

for some reason "alt+pritn scrn" does not work on my system-- can someone tell me the screen shot button so i can show what is going on with the games. thanks.

Last edited:

Nasorean

dmac2003 you have a tnt2 for that select the tnt option and if spped still is not adequate select texture filter to low quality textures. also you can mess with the counter factor and set it to three.

also you might wanna try playing in a window of 640*480 or setting your full screen resolution to 640*480

as a last resort you can turn off sound.

Last edited:

Clements

Nasorean said:
for some reason "alt+pritn scrn" does not work on my system-- can someone tell me the screen shot button so i can show what is going on with the games. thanks.

In PJ64, the screenshot key is F3, and in 1964, it is F12. You can save them as Jpegs and post them. :)

Nasorean

so i redid some of the tests and here are the results.

Castlevania (both games)
text on scrolls appeared but then a couple days later the text was gone.
the same thing happened to the particles- there and fine one day into big blocks the next.

also the select cursor fixed itself then reverted back to the transperency error.

also when gamma correction 1(brighter) is enabled the lighting changes color-- ie. white goes to blue.

Turok 2
the text fixed itself then reverted back to the single leter repeat.

----

is Rice's plug-in doomed to forever have faulty text? ;-)

also i attempted to delete the registry keys and did not find them in windows search so these issues may also be caused by older plug-in keys. i will download tweak ui and attept to fix them this weekend as well.

This weekend i will do a massive test with many American roms and many screenshots(thanks to Clements) so come over on monday and check out my results.

Rice I hope you dont have a new release in the next one hundred hours. :)

Last edited:

Clements

Hi, I was talking to a pleasant guy called Wiggle64 from the Ngemu forums and he found a bug which I'd like to report for him (he can't register as he hasn't received a confirmational email). It involves Mario completely disappearing when wearing the vanish cap, so that all you can see is his shadow. (although Jabo's/Glide64 don't emulate the dissolve effect, they make Mario visable)

Here is the thread where he reported the bug:
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=38860

Last edited:
OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
It should be a combiner problem. Someone can also verify it with other video cards. I don't have so good a video card, I cannot reproduce it.

For this guy, since he has Geforce 4 TI video card, he can try the Nvidia OGL combiner, or Nvidia TNT OGL combiner to see if it helps. If he just wants to see visible mario, he should try OGL 1.1, or low-end DirectX combiner.

Kevin11

dmac2003 said:
Is everybody still having the full screen slowdown for the rice plugin?

Yeah, I have slowdowns in full screen. But I have bigger problems, as well. :p

I only have one ROM right now to test, that being Mario, but here's my results. (Radeon 9500 Pro, WinXP, Omega Catalyst 3.6)

In DirectX mode, it works fine until it gets to actual gameplay, then it becomes a huge mess of polygons.

In OpenGL mode, it works, but it flickers horribly. It's like every second or third frame gets dropped, and drawn as black instead. In 1964, OpenGL mode is really slow, but in PJ64, it goes full speed.

Trotterwatch

I only have one ROM right now to test, that being Mario, but here's my results. (Radeon 9500 Pro, WinXP, Omega Catalyst 3.6)

In DirectX mode, it works fine until it gets to actual gameplay, then it becomes a huge mess of polygons.

Try reading through this thread again, paying particular attention to my posts for the solution to the polygon issue in D3D.

stupidrake

Bug Report:

In Puyo Puyo 4 Party the new plugin works better then previous plugins until you reach the main menu at which point there are some rotating letters at the top which seem to slow the emu from 60+fps to less the 5fps. Versions 4.6.0 and lower do not have this issue and Open GL will not display anything in all versions until the main game in loaded and even then there is merely greyscale boxes.

And another bug I have to report is with Doubutsu No Mori (Animal Forest). The beginning of the game with the dog has really messed up lighting and the textures are misplaced. This is fixed by using Jabo 1.5.1. But both plugins have much difficulty displaying the Pause Menu screen. I could write for hours about the extensive testing I did with all available plugins and my several computers, but I never had it displayed even remotely close. The rest of the game runs flawless in all recent versions of your plugin.

On an unrelated note, I have been having issues with sound. Most games have crackled sound. Could this be a result of my neglect in buying a good sound card, if so any recommendations.

P3 Tualatin 1.56 Ghz, 768 PC150 SDRAM, Radeon 9000, AC 97 Sound. Win XP Pro SP1, Direct X 9.0b

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited: