What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Majora's Mask N64HD Project Completed!

YDG

Any thoughts on using Deep Learning AI to simply up-res the original textures? Obviously there's more control when doing it yourself, but what could be more faithful than the original textures? I'd understand this is a completely different project idea entirely anyway.

Just looking at this (https://www.pcgamer.com/ai-neural-networks-are-giving-final-fantasy-7-a-makeover/) made me think of texture packs in general.

I used this free website called Teonite to try it out on some Majora's Mask textures, so I've attached the results to this post.
Definitely needs some fine tuning, or a different website to get it done better... but it's something!

Attachments

• 1897.png
    1897.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 1897-enhanced.jpg
    1897-enhanced.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

I've been keeping an eye on the results of those scalers but they don't seem to work with such low resolution textures. The textures don't have the detail to extract in the first place. I think the only cases where it would work would be the carnival of time storybook images which are 240x320, but whether it would hold up at 1440p or 4k is hard to say. I'm planning on trying to paint those from scratch, if I can't get good results maybe I could fall back on a scaled version.

Krypton, I assume you're using a different region's ROM. The pack will only change the text for the US version of the game, I don't have any other versions to work with and can't really translate every language. The Dolphin community pack is making progress with that, maybe there will eventually be translations for every language based on the textures from this pack.

YDG

I've been keeping an eye on the results of those scalers but they don't seem to work with such low resolution textures. The textures don't have the detail to extract in the first place. I think the only cases where it would work would be the carnival of time storybook images which are 240x320, but whether it would hold up at 1440p or 4k is hard to say. I'm planning on trying to paint those from scratch, if I can't get good results maybe I could fall back on a scaled version.

Ah I didn't know that the original had to be a considerable size to begin with, well now I know! Definitely could be useful for the story book images then, it's worth a look. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a hold of that texture and run it through Teonite (it'll be some time though).

Also great work on your new video! I think you've got the potential to become really popular with these game analysis videos, they're very interesting, well written and just plain entertaining to watch.

[EDIT]
Hm okay for some reason this one converted very quickly! Not the best results, I've attached it to this post. I think the colour space is a factor to consider, you can see a chequerboard effect.

Attachments

• Carnival_of_Time_Story-enhanced.jpg
    Carnival_of_Time_Story-enhanced.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 1,833
Last edited:

jimmychanga

Hey Nerrel,

Yoooo thank you for taking the time to create this fascinating update to this wonderful game! It really is a good throwback and now i can see it in HD back like i thought it was when i was 8 ahah but I was wondering how far into the game do you have textures completed? I started playing in early December when i found out you were working on this and after getting it to work i've been grinding away! ahah but i just finished the Pirates Fortress area and i did notice some textures that were stretched out and others that just looked like solid colors. Could something be wrong with my settings or is that just because you haven't completed those textures?
Because if you haven't done the textures into the whole Zora Hall and the Great Bay Temple part of the game i'd like to wait until you are done to fully appreciate it all lol :)

rubenjavier

Hello Nerrel and thank you for your great work on this,
I saw your comment about the pre-rendered bacgrounds of Zelda OOT, and remembered the news in resetera about using neural networks software to improve game low res texture quality by yourself with ESRGAN upscaling

since Im new to the forum Im still not allowed to put urls, as soon as I can I'll put the links and the images

They also used it with one of Zelda OOT pre rendered background and made it 4x with really good detail

And also in the thread you can see they tested with some other Zelda OOT textures.

im just telling you because if redoing the pre rendered backgrounds was the worst time consuming task for OOT, this cloud be a simpler way, and most of the textures would already by done by your actual work (or so I hope, based on how Majoras Mask was done reusing assets)

Best Regards

- - - Updated - - -

ESRGAN HD Zelda OOT pre rendered backgroud:
https://i.imgur.com/5p8GEn1.jpg

original Zelda OOT prerendered background:
https://i.imgur.com/DG2yljM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here is the ESRGAN post:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai...for-older-games-you-can-do-it-yourself.88272/

YDG

Hello Nerrel and thank you for your great work on this,
I saw your comment about the pre-rendered bacgrounds of Zelda OOT, and remembered the news in resetera about using neural networks software to improve game low res texture quality by yourself with ESRGAN upscaling

That's kinda what we've been talking about in the last few posts. Since it works best on larger textures (like pre-rendered backgrounds) we can only realistically use it for the story book images in Majora's Mask (and maybe some icons like the title screen logo). In my previous post I tried to upscale one of the story book images and, as you can see, there's a chequerboard effect which I assume is due to the low colour space.

For smaller textures it doesn't really do much other than smooth some edges and give an overpowered sharpen effect (like in the next previous post I made with the moon textures).

rubenjavier

Hi I think you missunderstood, thats exactly what I was pointing out
That the pre rendered background textures in OOT are large enough to use the ESRGAN upscaling and get an awesome result, look at the examples I provided.

Nerrel told in December that one of the reasons for not doing OoT was that the pre rendered backgrounds would be very frustrating to deal with, but with this ESRGAN upscale method, it seems like there is a good way to deal with the backgrounds, leaving just the 3D assets and most of those are shared between Zeldas... so maybe... just maybe there could be a future OoT project after Majoras is finished

5p8GEn1.jpg

this pre rendered background from OoT is 4x the original with ESRGAN and the detail is amazing, check the stones, the sky and the water opening the image in fullscreen

- - - Updated - - -

More examples of OoT prerendered backgrounds upscaled:
I urge you to see them oppened in a new tab al 100%
The results are amazing

file_0361_output8sk3v.jpg

file_0401_outputw1k2x.jpg

file_0509_output7ck7i.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Those images are on page 20 of the thread onESRGAN I mentioned, alongside their original versions:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai...er-games-you-can-do-it-yourself.88272/page-20

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

I appreciate the posts about the AI scaling, but it doesn't change much for me. The prerendered backdrops would still be a pain because of the way they need to be split up in order to be read by the emulator, and those upscaled shots would still need some manual cleanup. AI scaling is a big step forward for those sorts of backdrops, but there are a lot of other reasons why I don't want to do OoT. The textures in general seem like they may be badly stretched in a way that could make it harder to get good results, and I generally like OoT3D enough that I don't have much interest in playing the original version.

A lot of my textures can be ported to OoT and I'm willing to help out a little if someone wants to work them in, but I don't think I'm ever going to do a full pack for it myself. I'd be much more inclined to do one for the 3D version in Citra if it gets support for custom textures. I basically feel the complete opposite way about OoT3D that I do about MM3D.

The scaling could be used in MM for the story images, but I plan to repaint them and maybe extend the canvas to fill a 16:9 display. There are things I want to try there that upscaling alone won't do.

Last edited:

Admentus

Just letting everyone know here that the Zelda 64 HD Project over at the Dolphin forums (https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-zelda-collector-s-edition-hd-texture-pack-v2-1-2018-03-27) fully intends to support both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the Virtual Console and GameCube. These AI-scaled background and other assets for Ocarina of Time aren't necessarily wasted, and I am more than willing to incorporate these into Dolphin's Zelda 64 HD project. One thing is for sure, I am not going to rework all these backgrounds all by myself. It is simply just too much.

It might be an interesting idea. Replacing some of the assets for Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask's textures. Through a lot of textures are already shared by both games.

Yeah, I am one of those few who prefers the original console version rather than the 3DS handheld port. Even with all the improvements the 3DS port brings, it still is tailored to a handheld experience. I am rather traditional and I prefer to stick to consoles and PC instead.

Last edited:

rubenjavier

That sounds amazing, Im also a console version fan

The background screenshots were done with the software "A.I. Gigapixel" by the resetera forum user Cheapstare:
https://www.resetera.com/members/cheapstare.5097/

Maybe he can help you with the upscaling of the rest of the backgrounds (on my ideal dreamworld with a complete texture d u m p by dolphin, the entire batch could be upscaled)

Best regards

(the upscale OOT backgrouds post):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai...es-you-can-do-it-yourself.88272/post-17057881

Edit:
The resetera users collige and , are batch upscaling Gamecube games, they already have Metroid Prime and Beautiful Joe in record tme, I think in something like a week, Im speechless, so maybe zelda can be batch upscaled.

Metroid Prime:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai...es-you-can-do-it-yourself.88272/post-17049303

Beautiful Joe:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai...es-you-can-do-it-yourself.88272/post-17432473

Last edited:

Av.B.W.

Two questions, apologies if these have already been addressed (I haven't read this entire thread)

The video and screenshots by Nerrel show the game in true 16:9, while I find setting 16:9 in GlideN64 simply horizontally stretches the video. How do you get this true 16:9?

Has there been any effort with 30 or 60 FPS hacks? As linked in the description of Nerrel's project overview video, there has been quite an effort to get 30 FPS in MM on Dolphin. However I haven't found any such hacks/codes get higher framerates working in N64 MM.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

I use the "adjust option," which seems to work really well aside from a few effects being visibly culled on the edges. Nobody seems to be interested in making a 30fps code for Pj64; at least, not when I asked about it a while ago. If you want to request one you can try in one of the 60fps threads, it might help to have more demand: http://forum.pj64-emu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Last edited:

YDG

Has there been any effort with 30 or 60 FPS hacks?

Personally when I play this game, I don't really notice the low FPS much. I think it's usually more noticeable when you have free-cam movement. Also I think the animations in this game might still play at 25 FPS if you managed to get it running at a higher framerate. So even if you did get it running faster, animations would stick out a lot if that's true.

A simple solution for now, I'd say, is to maybe use a TV with Motion Smoothing. Drawbacks are the input lag and the artefacts it can introduce at high speeds. If your TV is good enough then the input lag will be minimal (I was able to get a super solid experience playing Spyro Reignited (Xbox One version) on my TV with this setting enabled) and most of the time the artefacts will be out of your focus so they're not all that noticeable. It depends on the TV really, as they typically do have some unplayable input lag with this setting turned on; for me it does seem worse when having it used on a PC video input rather than the Xbox video input... though that might be due to it outputting in 4K and making the TV have to process a bigger image. Perhaps the newer and more expensive your TV is, the better it handles it? Might depend on the brand too.

OP
N

Nerrel

Here's the first half of the bay. Sorry if anyone is disappointed by the lack of screenshots lately, but for this area it's better to see things in motion with all of the water and scrolling light effects:

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I am one who misses the close-up details visible in screenshots, but I agree that the videos are the better option at the moment.

Great work as usual. The world is shaping up very nicely!

OP
N

Nerrel

Here's a brief update, I've tried to timestamp it to cut out the silly part but the embed doesn't allow it. Skip to 1:17:

I still take a lot of screenshots and post them on discord as I work, I could save those up and post them here. They're not fullscreen images but they're still 1200p and it would be easy to include them. I think the result of the Gigapixel upscaling is that the pack is about 200mb larger now, a lot of those earlier textures should be noticeably sharper. The face of the clock that you stand on while battling Skull Kid is maybe the single biggest improvement, it was really blotchy and unpleasant before. The next update is going to be the temple, which I've been looking forward to doing for a long while but haven't been able to do with all this other stuff getting in the way.

Oehr

Nice pack, Nerrel! Also I completely agree with your view on the 3DS remake... MM is my favorite Zelda game and the 3DS deku link change along with the slow spiky hat twist was already enough to lower my expectations drastically. The oot 3ds port already looked a bit out of place with their remade link model and animation... but the MM3DS one takes the cake.
Either way, I got so fed up with all the changes I have read about, that I just stopped playing... I guess I have to wait for a proper remake than a remastered port.
For now, it is nice that the original, the way it was meant to be played, n64 mm gets a fitting face lift.

My feedback thus far:
I dislike the added vibrancy/color intensity of the optional filter. The dirtier color palette adds atmosphere to the game. While it doesn't go as far as the rather colorful MM3DS port, its just... a bit much for my tastes? Simple enough to disable that
From the textures, especially the recreated signs and such, I can't really complain. From what I've seen so far it follows the original style and doesn't seem out of place. Great!

Also, I grabbed the PNG-file and recompressed all files losslessly to save some space. Managed to shave off 22.5% or nearly 400MiB. Here's the pack (based on the 2019-04-23 pack):
https://storage.superconnected.org/random/MMN64HD_2019-04-23.7z (1.28GB)

Credits: recompressed using PngOptimizer, TruePNG, PNGwolf, optpng, pngout, pngquant, ECT, pingo and advpng

P.S. This does not decrease the resulting texture-cache size (would require lossy optimizations) or RAM requirements.

Last edited: