What's new

Snes emulation

Clements

Sayargh said:
Zsnes doesn't work on 32bit desktops, but if it goes full screen it will switch to 16bit... If you're running it desktoped like gens you will need to have it on 16bit.

I never change my colour for anything ever, always 32-bit. How do you explain the following screenshot of windowed ZSnes working on a 32-Bit desktop? :baaa:

Anyway, ZSnes WIP 04.16 was released!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mmm... yeah, you CAN run ZSNES on a 32-bit desktop, however the graphics filters CANNOT work under any circumstances in 32-bit.

Edit: Added: Have to point out, though, that unless Snes9x does some really spiffy (and probably hellishly slow) hacking, it can't do graphics filters in a 32-bit window either - with the exception of its OpenGL mode or whatever.

scotty

The Great One
Clements said:
Have you tried deleting ZSnes, then redownloading it? That usually works. How about trying the latest WIP to see if that works. Don't give up hope! There is no reason why it shouldn't work (esp. as it can run on a 200MHz machine with a 4MB graphics card)

do you just mean the application, or all the CFG files that come with it

scotty

The Great One
could there also be another problem, like the size setting. I use 512x448 R WIN, would there be a preferred setting, or some configuration that might be doing this, I hear the black screen does this to a lot of people, yet many still use ZSNES. Could my graphics card be doing something, or is there something I didnt read that I had to do

Clements

I mean absolutely everything, all files ZSnes files and start afresh. I believe that ZSnes makes no registry entries (like Snes9x does), so a new download will be like installation for the first time. I can't see why that couldn't fix the problem (esp. if it was working previously at any point)

scotty

The Great One
ZSNES for windows has never worked for me, DOS works but with no sound. That is why I have continued to use SNES9X all this time

scotty

The Great One
Clements said:
I mean absolutely everything, all files ZSnes files and start afresh. I believe that ZSnes makes no registry entries (like Snes9x does), so a new download will be like installation for the first time. I can't see why that couldn't fix the problem (esp. if it was working previously at any point)

I find it weird that the CFG file does not appear until after I first open ZSNES, It would be logical to have it in the .zip file in the first place, should it not. I thought that was a registry entry

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
scotty said:
could there also be another problem, like the size setting. I use 512x448 R WIN, would there be a preferred setting, or some configuration that might be doing this, I hear the black screen does this to a lot of people, yet many still use ZSNES. Could my graphics card be doing something, or is there something I didnt read that I had to do

640x480 is the most optimal resolution.

I find it weird that the CFG file does not appear until after I first open ZSNES, It would be logical to have it in the .zip file in the first place, should it not. I thought that was a registry entry

Saves on download size.

ZSNES uses exactly zero registry entries; every thing is stored in the CFG file. If you don't want to re-download the whole thing just delete the CFG :) The idea is, the CFG gets created by the ZSNES executable with default variables if one isn't detected. Then, anything you change in the GUI simply changes vars in the config file. Simple enough, right? :)

Trotterwatch

Anyone here played Super Mario RPG on the Snes? Been playing it on ZSNes but have noticed a problem - only just started it and so am only in the Mushroom village. However whenever I talked to someone the text boxes have visible distortion around them (kind of like a flickering effect) for a second or so.

It's kinda annoying, tried the latest version of ZSnes as well as an older version both with the same problem. I have also used many different display modes, and disabled the new graphics engine all to no avail.

Anyone here know how to fix this minor though highly irritating bug? I'm off to download Snes9X to see if that fixes it.

Clements

Yep, Trotterwatch, it is a bug in ZSnes. The screen flickers when you talk to people in Mushroom Town. This doesn't occur in Snes9x.

Also (although not a bug as such but annoys) when objects move into and out of the screen (eg. the Nintendo Logo in Killer Instinct and many others) it is not filtered in ZSnes whereas in Snes9x these effects are filtered.

I hope these get fixed at some point.

Trotterwatch

Thanks for the confirmation that this is indeed a bug. So this will only happen in Mushroom Town, if so then I will probably just continue playing it in ZSNes.

Just tried playing it in the latest version of Snes9x - set everything up and loaded in one of my ZSNes savestates, the result was it loaded fine, but Mario wouldn't move (my controls work fine in all other games though).

Clements

The bug is hard to show in screenshots, but you can see a thin bit of garbled graphics above the text box where it flickers.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I personally don't "prefer" any of them. I like both, because I've been using them for years, and one that is bad with a game, the other might be better. There are pros and cons to both of them.

Clements

On my computer is an unsolvable problem where Snes9x keeps asking for a CD everytime I pick load Rom. If I press continue, I can go on normally however. This is such an annoying problem!

I deleted the Snes9x registry many times as well as all my Snes9x files and the message still appears after a reinstall. That was the last straw for me. I could cope with the crackly sound and lack of workable netplay, but I can't cope with this persistant problem. (!)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
thats because you're playing your games from a cd rom, and the emulator saved your rom dir from the cd rom, and it detects the cd rom is not there so windows throws a fit;

the only way to get rid of it is to either A: put a cd rom in your cdrom drive or B: Wipe out the setting snes9x uses that points to the cdrom,

The reason i know this is because i've had this problem with Gens :p

Clements

Looks like I'm going to have to leave a CD-ROM in the drive! I think I can just about live with the message... well, at least I can still use the emulator :)

Vchat20

hmm. I have Super Mario RPG and have played it and even beaten it. never had a single bug. not even minor bugs. one of those perfectly made roms.

Clements

Vchat20 said:
hmm. I have Super Mario RPG and have played it and even beaten it. never had a single bug. not even minor bugs. one of those perfectly made roms.

There are definitely no bugs in Snes9x for this game.