What's new

Snes emulation

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
pj64er said:
ahh...the old zsnes vs snes9x debate.

well, for me the choice was easy. Back in my old computer, snes9x didnt work for me, zsnes was the only way to go. from that point on, zsnes failed to disappoint me. no reason to even test out snes9x.

ps. only zsnes had a 1.337 version, that won over the :geek: in me

Heh, I wonder... did you have the same problem as me?

I used Snes9x at first, until 0.24 "Final" - and in that version, the GUI would always inevitably freeze any time it was loaded, resulting in no games being able to save natively (states sort of worked though). Switched to ZSNES .363 and never looked back. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Heh, a joypad to contol the pointer?
Well, anyway, i knew about the turbo. But the fact is that snes9x has it too. Just hit & hold the tab button. You can also make the emulator toggle it.

I tend to use frameskip to skip long scenes and stuff which you cannot skip and have no desire to see.

As for the gfx, i always use the supereagle filter :) It covers pretty much the whole screen. I stretch it too, to make it cover the full screen. It doesn't take too much cpu power.

But for zsnes, it seems to have a bug regarding the frameskip. Once you've activated it, it takes forever to disable. At least in the version i tried which was some time ago, not too long, though. And I kinda feel like I like the snes9x gui :p

The standard windows GUI just r0x0rs :D

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I think you've forgotten about Zsnes's Fast forward key: its either Tab or the one next to 1...

It whizzs past the game you're playing no matter what frameskip you use.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually, that isn't true. The fastforward key temporarily sets frameskip to 9, so if you're already in fs9, FF will do nothing at all.

Doom, I've used nearly every version of ZSNES since .363 (I think that was the number, it was .36x though), and I have no idea what you're talking about... just set frameskip up/down to +/- and switch it that way, it's instantaneous. You're probably thinking of having to go into the GUI... hit Config -> Options and choose a frameskip manually. :)

Oh, and again, ZSNES was the first with FF, rewind, movie recording, and SuperFX emulation :)

Doomulation

Yep I know that :)
The tab in snes9x does just as zsnes and sets the framerate temporarily to 20 fps (configurable). And this problem happend to me ... i just don't know why, but I lub snes9x :inlove: so i'll stay with it :D

Dogman5

----------
I use both, but SNES9X doesent play Super Mario 2 YOSHIS ISLAND!! grrr :doh:

And i dont know how to use ZSnes

I try to go to LOAD and i click on my C:// file directory, and it doesent show anything up, and just brings me back to the main thing!!

Doomulation

Snes9X does run smw2 (yoshi's island). In zsnes, it's a kinda silly load dialog. You'll have to click on the folders to get in (double) and .. to get down one step :baaa:

Also, although most bad roms work, it is recommended to get a good dump to play with.

Dogman5

----------
I just got ZSNES working..

WOW. It kicks Snes9x's ASS three times from Sunday. :happy:

I love it! It plays games so much smoother and alot better looking and sounding.

It also plays Yoshis Island, which ^^^ grr ^^^ Snes9x does NOT!! :doh:

Clements

I was going to promptly proove you wrong with a screenshot of Snes9x running it, but since I upgraded to DX 9.0 I get an error message about failing to initialise DX 7. Looks like I'll have to follow Icepir8's advice and get 9.0a...

It does work though! I just can't get the proof yet! None of this matters of course, as you have seen the light of ZSNES!

/me is off to download DX 9.0a!

Clements

Fixed my Direct X problem with 9.0a and as promised, Snes9x 1.39 running Yoshi's Island:

Doomulation

The only real thing snes9x lacks right now is a good sound core :(
The sound crackles and pops sometimes...i really hope it can be fixed in the future...

But it kicks ass already! :D

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
The sound crackles and pops sometimes...i really hope it can be fixed in the future...

ZSNES will be first with a working SuperFX3 core (two games use it, one of them was never released). :D

Talas

Son of the Sky
What about Dungeon Master? Its not yet emulated on ZSNES. Will it work in the next version? I wonder, because I heard the SNES DM was very good.:phone:

Clements

Dungeon Master uses the DSP-2 chip, which I believe has been worked out, but just needs to be implimented.

Doomulation

Great for them! But you know that the snes9x development team also is working on some chip and some info the zsnes team doesn't?

It's great world that they share, huh? :D

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
Doomulation said:

actually mine did that too, but u can change the sound driver, when i did that, it worked exceptional :)

the battle between snes9x and zsnes.....

i prefer snes9X, its the 1st emu i ever used, even though the compatability is a tiny bit lower than zsnes, i still prefer it, has many video options too, i love the openGL :) even supports my old Voodoo 2 :D

Clements

I use them both to tell the truth, side by side sharing save files etc. Anyone tried SNEESE? I've tried it, and it is also coming along too, catching Snes9x with each release. Thought it was worth mentioning as well.

I hope the flickering when talking in Super Mario RPG and the character sprite in Zero the Kamikase Squirrel will be fixed in the new version of Zsnes. They are the only bugs I've found...

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Tagrineth said:

ZSNES will be first with a working SuperFX3 core (two games use it, one of them was never released). :D

Clements said:
One of them is Starfox 2 beta... but what's the other?

since, Starfox 2 was never released....are you saying that there was another game using SuperFX3 that actually came out?! Id like to know what the other game is too..must be some crazy jap game...