What's new

Snes emulation

Clements

ZSNES WIP 04.13 Released:

Added Nach's chip detection code (Pagefault)
Updated windows sound code (Pagefault)
Fixed bug when sound was disabled and continued to play (Pagefault)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
So many zsnes release, but no snes9x :cry:
Oh and btw, the gfx is just as sharp on snes9x as on zsnes if you use the right output. Eg, supereagle mode.

Clements

I use 2XSAI for both, and yes they look the same. There have been no major Snes9x updates bcause the main coder, Gary Henderson has gone missing!

ZSnes is still going strong with pagefault still working on it.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
with snes9x if i use the 2xsai filters it is very slow... Zsnes runs at full speed easily and sounds better. You know your comments about Super Mario RPG Doom, well, snes9x doesn't do the sound correctly, and zsnes doesn't do the video correctly

when mario hits enemys with a mallet its not supposed to sound like a "ping"... :p

Clements

-Sound: ZSnes is better no doubt.

-Display: Same, but I believe ZSnes supports higher resolutions (?) and is faster on slower computers when fullscreen

-Netplay: ZSnes is better as it isn't buggy and you can do it over a modem etc.

-GUI: Who cares about this! Its the emulation quality that counts for me :) Draw.

-Portability: Hmm, Snes9x is ported to many more OS's like Mac, Linux...

-Save States: Its easier to have loads of these with Snes9x.

I declare a narrow victory to ZSnes 3-2! :happy:

Talas

Son of the Sky
One question about all those ZSNES WIP News. Are they worth a download? Why arent they on the normal ZSNES page? Has anyone tested them? Anything become worse with it?

Stezo2k

S-2K
Clements said:
-Sound: ZSnes is better no doubt.

-Display: Same, but I believe ZSnes supports higher resolutions (?) and is faster on slower computers when fullscreen

-Netplay: ZSnes is better as it isn't buggy and you can do it over a modem etc.

-GUI: Who cares about this! Its the emulation quality that counts for me :) Draw.

-Portability: Hmm, Snes9x is ported to many more OS's like Mac, Linux...

-Save States: Its easier to have loads of these with Snes9x.

I declare a narrow victory to ZSnes 3-2! :happy:

1. Display - well snes 9x has high resolutions too, can go up to 1200+
Draw

2. Netplay - dont understand how to use the bugga on both
Draw

3. GUI, think the zsnes one is kinda dull, snes9x is a bit basic
Draw

4. Portability

Goes to Snes9x, zsnes is 100% asm

5. Save States
Snes 9x, its easy

6. Speed
Ok Zsnes wins this one, but who cares about speed with our pcs?

As for sound, snes9x likes to enhance the sound, whereas zsnes likes to keep it the way it is, Draw, Overall these emus are pretty equal

Clements

I've been downloading them, and they are excellent. Only one problem is that the png screensot function is broken (that's it) With the latest WIP, you get excellent sound quality (48kHz) and improved speed among other tweaks. Worth a download. A new WIP is released regularly, and I've seen steady improvements.

Stezo2k

S-2K
nice, i'd probably use it, but i aint really into emulation at the moment heh, znes has progessed quite a lot

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
6. Speed

Well 1.2ghz must not be enough then because my pc rolls over and dies if it trys to do Snes9x with the same filters as zsnes, i love playing a game at 15fps ;)

One thing though, Zsnes does win with sound, thats no draw...

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Sayargh said:
Well 1.2ghz must not be enough then because my pc rolls over and dies if it trys to do Snes9x with the same filters as zsnes, i love playing a game at 15fps ;)

One thing though, Zsnes does win with sound, thats no draw...
Ok, let's sum it up :D
First off, snes9x's sound isn't bad. It just has a little sync problem sometimes.
It isn't really slow, either. Use SuperEagle or whatever but don't stretch it at high resolution or it WILL get slow!

1. Display - well snes 9x has high resolutions too, can go up to 1200+
Draw
Snes9X and ZSnes has about equal gfx. Draw.

2. Netplay - dont understand how to use the bugga on both
Draw
ZSnes's netplay is indeed better. But I rarely use it anyway so...
Point for ZSnes.

3. GUI, think the zsnes one is kinda dull, snes9x is a bit basic
Draw
ZSnes has an annoying gui imo. Snes9x's gui is just standard windows and is no sweat.
Draw.

4. Portability

Goes to Snes9x, zsnes is 100% asm
Agreed. Point to Snes9X.

5. Save States
Snes 9x, its easy
Lot easier on snes9x. Yup, point of Snes9x.

6. Speed
ZSnes is a little faster than snes9x to what i've seen, but it's faster...yet, i don't care about speed on my ultra-1337-super-fast computer :D
Point to ZSnes.

On the other hand, there are other annoying things, like the mouse sensitivity and some bugs which makes me prefer snes9x more. And to that, snes9x can import zsnes states :D
Point to Snes9X

Wow, draw! :satisfied

Clements

I agree with Doom for once! But I don't take those areas as equal, I put them in this order:

1. Video (of course)
2. Sound (almost as important)
3. Netplay (a great feature but not essential)
4. GUI (got to be simple like Snes9x, but got to be nice looking like ZSnes)
5. Speed (my comp can handle both easily, so less important for me)
6. Portability (got to feel for non-windows users! Doesn't apply to me)
7. Save states (rarely if ever use them, they ruin most games if overused)

...and ZSnes won two out of the top three aspects according to Doom, explaining my ZSNES choice.

Anyone who doesn't understand ZSnes Netplay obviously hasn't got zBattle.net, from www.zBattle.net makes it so so easy, no IP addresses or nothing, just join a game similar to online PC gaming. You cannot do this with Snes9x!

If you know anything about me, you know that I like to test to the absolute death, and I have the very latest of both emulators, and I must admit that Snes9x is approaching ZSnes fast, with the sound being finally at the right pitch. :)

This is a difficult issue! Just go with any. I made my choice, I started with Snes9x (when I first started emulation!) and moved on to ZSnes when I started to 'know things'

Oh, ZSNES WIP April 14 has been released.
You know the drill:
http://ipher.znes.net/

Vchat20

Really, Speed is not a problem at all with ZSNES IMO. cuz I can play it all options on at 60fps on my 333MHz machine. I have not yet tried SNES9x yet, but I might soon.

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah on my old 333, Snes 9x worked gr8, it didnt as so well without using my voodoo2, but when i used it, it had no slowdowns at all :)

Vchat20

my full specs (atleast what matters for emulation):

333MHZ Celeron
160MB RAM
onboard ATI graphics (nothing extra special)
onboard soundblaster audio (same as above)

Stezo2k

S-2K
sounds exactly like my old packard bell celeron pc, but with extra ram, worked snes9x quite well so u shouldnt have many probs

scotty

The Great One
the Windows Version of ZSNES still after all this time still gives me a black screen when i open it, I have DirectX9.0, and am using a 32 bit desktop, and all the help I get in most forums never seems to work, has there ever been a perfection.

I think ZSNES works welll in DOS, but I like Windows better because I can shut it off better and faster. I also can use zbattle.net, something I really want to use someday.

Clements

Have you tried deleting ZSnes, then redownloading it? That usually works. How about trying the latest WIP to see if that works. Don't give up hope! There is no reason why it shouldn't work (esp. as it can run on a 200MHz machine with a 4MB graphics card)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Zsnes doesn't work on 32bit desktops, but if it goes full screen it will switch to 16bit... If you're running it desktoped like gens you will need to have it on 16bit.