What's new

Snes emulation

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
SNEeSe worked for me under Windows XP, but with terrible sound (yes, even with VDMSound) and a weird control problem (controls became progressively less responsive as time passed).

SNEeSeW has neither of these problems.

This now means that all five active SNES emulators (ZSNES, Snes9x, SNESGT, SNEeSe and SNem) all have native Windows versions.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Clements said:
Here it is emulating Final Fantasy III:
Not too bad...
/me slaps Clements
It's Final Fantasy VI (!) FF3 was for nes methinks...

I've also tried changing the sound (of course :p), it works very good except a little crackling sometimes due to the bad sound core.

Oh and in snes9x, there is no flickering in super mario rpg ;)
:flowers: for ZSnes, though, who should fix it in the next version :D

Clements

Thanks Allnatural, works like a charm now.

Yes Final Fantasy III is for the NES if you live in Japan. I used the US Version which they changed from VI to III, as II (NES), III (NES), and V (SNES) were not released in the US, just I (NES) and II (SNES). Hmm, confusing!

Stezo2k

S-2K
nah its just the way you said it :p

FF2 (Jap version) = FF2
FF2 (Usa) = FF4
FF3 (Jap version) = FF3
FF3 (Usa) = FF6

Thats the only confusion, just FF2 & FF3, but i couldnt put it more simple than that :geek:

julbingo

Can someone help me with NHL 94 in ZSNES??

The problem I have is that some sounds seems to be gone. For example these:

* The horn that announces end of period
* The horn that announces a goal!
* The crowd sound "awww" when a shot is close to goal.

When these sounds are supposed to sound, i hear nothing! I know the ROM is good since it works in Snes9x, but I have a few general problems with that emulator. So I would like to get it to work in ZSNES...

I have tried many different combinations in the sound options, but no improvement.

Can someone help me out here? Have you guys tried NHL 94 in ZSNES??

Stezo2k

S-2K
You could always try an older/newer zsnes, some games work better in older zsnes versions, e.g the starfox 2 beta works in an older version. If not try it in snes9x with the bugs, or just use a different emulator

Doomulation

Clements said:
Thanks Allnatural, works like a charm now.

Yes Final Fantasy III is for the NES if you live in Japan. I used the US Version which they changed from VI to III, as II (NES), III (NES), and V (SNES) were not released in the US, just I (NES) and II (SNES). Hmm, confusing!
Yes, curse those bloody americans for doing that :saint:
Square quickly fixed the titles when they noticed it, though. But it still lives... :doh:

To sum it up,
FF1 (NES), USA & JAP
FF2 (NES), JAP, USA = 4
FF3 (NES), JAP, USA = 6
FF4 (SNES), JAP, USA = 2
FF5 (SNES), JAP only
FF6 (SNES), JAP, USA = 3
FF7 (PSX/PC), JAP & USA
FF8 (PSX/PC), JAP & USA
FF9 (PSX), JAP & USA
FF10 (PS2), JAP & USA
FF11 (PS2) - this...is released in USA yet? I think it's release in JAP.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
FF2 (NES), JAP, USA = 4
FF3 (NES), JAP, USA = 6

Uh... what?

FF2 and 3 aren't out anywhere other than Japan.

FF2 is about to get the PSX treatment, in the US and Europe as well (FF:Origins), and it's listed as Final Fantasy II in the game. FF3 still isn't on the release radar.

Thankfully Square remade FF6 and FF4 for the PSX, to use the REAL numbers... :)

Doomulation

Yes, thankfully they did.
What I mean above...it's true that FF2 & 3 was never released outside of japan. So, FF4 was named FF2 in usa, and FF6 was named FF3.

That's what I was saying.

Clements

Doomulation said:
Great for them! But you know that the snes9x development team also is working on some chip and some info the zsnes team doesn't?

It's great world that they share, huh? :D

I believe the two teams have worked and cooperated together for a long time, sharing bits of code here and there. Thats why the two emulators are so similar in terms of features.

Anyhoo, might as well mention that ZSNES WIP 04.11 has been released and features even more improvements like better 48KHz sound, graphics fixes, is faster, and better code for the SPC7110 and SDD-1 chips. Go get this at:

http://ipher.znes.net/

Doomulation

Strange that the official site doesn't have any update, though....
Still no news about snes9x...can't be arsed to check the messageboard, it still probably won't contain any release info :p
Just their all-time day working on those chips :linux:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
Its weird that the SNES had game enhancing chips in the game paks but the N64 did not AFAIK.

IIRC SNES's cartridge slot was designed with expansion in mind (especially makes sense considering one launch - or near-launch - game, Super Mario Kart, made by Nintendo, used an expansion chip), whereas I suppose with N64 they decided that it'd be cheaper to go with a non-expandable system, since it was 'powerful enough anyway', which is true, except for the incredibly stupid DRDRAM interface.

scotty

The Great One
I use Snes9x for emulation. Although they are both really good emulators.
Snes 9x:
the sound is not choppy for me(except Clay Fighter)
Compatible with every game I have played (except Star Ocean)
Able to play games when they are compressed into .zip format

ZSNES: what is better than Snes9x
Windows version does not work for me, but DOS does

Graphics are sharper
Use of the Lethal Enforcers Gun
(with windows) Zbattle.net, a toll that I think is very important to any emulator, to have an online gaming server for the emulator because Kalliera sucks, and I can play people other than my friends that use emulation devices.

Both of them are fast, both of them are great, Both of them are better than the rest.

Clements

Star Ocean works with Snes9x believe it or not.

Probable cause: You cannot have the graphics pack and rom in the same directory as the Snes9x emulator. This is the only issue I've found specific to Snes9x.

Edit: This problem was fixed in V. 1.39MK3B though- just checked

Sound is really messed though, so I use ZSNES- sound is perfect.

Last edited: