What's new

PS3 pwns all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miretank

Lurking
That's pretty interesting and I love those screenshots!
WhiteX said:
i´d like to know is the speed of the OS under PS3.
Indeed. Dark thoughts have crossed my mind and I already imagined PJ64 running under VirtualPC'ed WinXP in PS3. :D

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I'd be curious to know myself, and while there's many place that talk about the features that come with using it, there's not many that discuss it's speed. There are youtube videos showing it in use, and it seems to move along pretty well. Mind you, I've not seen or heard of anyone running anything very demanding on it yet either.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Can happen to anything, for the blu ray thing, i don´t think that it is a bad technology or that it will break easily or any of that, i just think it will flop like the UMD did.
Explain to me, then, why it's so hard to manufacture and why the DVD is the PS2s tended to fail often?

EDIT: WTF, the sales figure went down?
You've noticed that first now? :plain: They have been this low for some time now.

2. I don't like the PS3 but using the slot loading mechanism example is ridiculous, that can happen to any other drive, like DVDs for example. That doesn't prove Blu Ray is faulty, is just that Sony and Nintendo are using cheap stuff and are both screwing people.
Right... Nintendo consoles are usually very tolerable and does not break often.

But after a few time, let's say a year, their lenses won't be as crappy as they are now, is just an immature tech (and unnecessary for the PS3).
This is what I've been saying the whole time. The technology is too new to be used yet! And blu-ray will probably not benefit anything on the PS3 anyway. All it does now, is bring longer loading times.

Indeed. Dark thoughts have crossed my mind and I already imagined PJ64 running under VirtualPC'ed WinXP in PS3. :D
I don't see that happening . Ever. Sony castrated their Linux.
No HW acceleration (You've seen the software plugin here on ET right? Runs slow even on fast machines!), only access to main processor. Main processor has no out-of-order execution, no branch prediction and a narrow execution window. Which means the processor is also castrated.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Explain to me, then, why it's so hard to manufacture and why the DVD is the PS2s tended to fail often?
Because blue laser is one of the hardest of the spectrum to produce, and the manufacturing for the diodes is very delecate and requires a high level of quality assurance.;)

Doomulation said:
This is what I've been saying the whole time. The technology is too new to be used yet! And blu-ray will probably not benefit anything on the PS3 anyway. All it does now, is bring longer loading times.
Yeah, up to 10x the storage space of traditional DVD, yeah, no advantage to that, right?

As for the Linux arguement, you've tried to say before that it's the games that count. So why do you concentrate on other things to argue about rather than the games?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
The PS3 video on Youtube running Fedora looked pretty speedy to me. Since Sony has done the Open Platform thing it should hopefully allow all sorts of folks to program all kinds of games and emulators for it. I still can't get myself to shell out that kind of cash, if I could even find a PS3 though.

Now on the other had I did get a Wii today. Got it using a rain check through Toys R Us. No waiting in never ending lines and I didn't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn on release day or black Friday. I just happened into my local store on release day, at least several hours after they opened, asked if any Wii's were left. They lady said no but they were authorized to issue rain checks. I asked what those would help with and she claimed my local store had been told to give out 200 total rain checks and they would be able to fulfill them before Christmas. So she wrote me mine, #46, and I simply took it as "well I'll see that in a month or two most likely". So today they get 50 of them and I get a call to come get mine. I want to open it and "test" it for my kids, but I'm afraid they may catch me and it is a Christmas present. :)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I know it can't be that bad if it's able to run a virtual PC and have XP run on it. It may not have all the features of the full OS, but it seems to hold it's own OK.

Doomulation

Because blue laser is one of the hardest of the spectrum to produce, and the manufacturing for the diodes is very delecate and requires a high level of quality assurance.;)
Exactly! How then, is it not likely to break?

Yeah, up to 10x the storage space of traditional DVD, yeah, no advantage to that, right?
For what? Movies?
Larger textures won't fit into the PS3s memory, nor will bigger envoirments. So either that means a) longer loading times because it has to load envoirments more often and b) longer dev times because utilizing all the more space means more time to develop more material which is not a good thing and c) The blu-ray drive spins slower than the 360's DVD drive, so again, longer loading times.
Explain to me how that's good.

As for the Linux arguement, you've tried to say before that it's the games that count. So why do you concentrate on other things to argue about rather than the games?
What, I can't comment on people who wish to see PJ running on PS3? I'm simply telling you that very likely it can't be done.

I know it can't be that bad if it's able to run a virtual PC and have XP run on it. It may not have all the features of the full OS, but it seems to hold it's own OK.
Remember that XP is nowhere near as demanding as an emulator, and furthermore, did they specify the speed? How fast/slow the OS ran and applications?

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Exactly! How then, is it not likely to break?
Let's not do this again. Remember what happened last time when you went there?;)

Doomulation said:
For what? Movies?
Larger textures won't fit into the PS3s memory, nor will bigger envoirments. So either that means a) longer loading times because it has to load envoirments more often and b) longer dev times because utilizing all the more space means more time to develop more material which is not a good thing and c) The blu-ray drive spins slower than the 360's DVD drive, so again, longer loading times.
Explain to me how that's good.
We've gone over this already too.:plain:

Doomulation said:
What, I can't comment on people who wish to see PJ running on PS3? I'm simply telling you that very likely it can't be done.
And I'm just saying if you want to say that your arguement is based on the games that you should be consistent with it.;)

Doomulation said:
Remember that XP is nowhere near as demanding as an emulator, and furthermore, did they specify the speed? How fast/slow the OS ran and applications?
Ahhh, I see you have no idea how virtual PC's work either. Here's a lil something you should know: they are PC emulators, with their own virtual devices, etc...;)

Doomulation

Let's not do this again. Remember what happened last time when you went there?;)
Then maybe you shouldn't reply, because we know what you will reply. You fail to see the fact.

We've gone over this already too.:plain:
Again, fail to reply.

And I'm just saying if you want to say that your arguement is based on the games that you should be consistent with it.;)
Nooooo... why? If I have something I can absolutely be certain it won't work, why can't I blame the PS3's architecture for it ? :p

Ahhh, I see you have no idea how virtual PC's work either. Here's a lil something you should know: they are PC emulators, with their own virtual devices, etc...;)

Judging from that comment, you do not know what they are either.
They are emulators and again, emulation is an expensive task.
Although XP can be run on Linux via a wrapper. Still, emulation via a wrapper... what's the speed?

Doomulation

Awww, no Project0r sixthFouZ0rs? :(

Nope, that is pretty much impossible. And once more, blame Sony for that.

Ah, I find this quote pretty amusing:

Sony's Fall from Grace: To everyone's surprise, observing Sony mess up each step of its launch was one of the more entertaining and curious ongoing events of the year. For two straight generations Sony has kicked everyone's asses. In 2006, when you'd think that Sony had finally polished its strategy to a T, it collapsed. It dropped the ball at E3, cut its hardware feature list, announced expensive pricing, drastically dropped its shipment numbers (from 4 million worldwide to 400,000 on launch day and 1 million by year's end) and then appeared to copy everything that Nintendo and Microsoft did from controller ideas to online capabilities. With each step to launch, Sony proved it wasn't a leader, it was a follower. Of course, Sony could very well come to the fall 2007 showdown with the best lineup ever, but from E3 to launch in 2006, Sony muffed, screwed, and has eaten it.

Source: IGN: Xbox 360: The One Year Retrospective
Of course, we'll see how the PS3 fares in the time coming.

Oh and let's not forget this:

This generation of consoles may in fact lack serious exclusives because of the high cost of development,

Oops, does that mean it's too expensive for exclusives, which Sony had lots of on its previous PS2? OK so yes, this is Xbox 360, but it shows that exclusives cost a lot more this generation due to higher development costs!

The Xbox 360 library is now full of games where you no longer have to play them to get skills and unlock content. Instead you can simply pony up the money and download them. Want a maxed out character in Tiger Woods 07? That will run you 200 Microsoft points.

Oops, it seems we're headed for the pay-to-get model after all! No longer do you unlock stuff; you buy it! Yes! Way to go Sony, Microsoft!

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Then maybe you shouldn't reply, because we know what you will reply. You fail to see the fact.

Again, fail to reply.
Because I'm getting tired of repeating myself. You want answers for these questions? All you've gotta do is go back and do a little bit of reading, and you'll find I've answered these questions already.;) And considering the huge embarassment you got, I don't know how you forgot the debate over the Blu Ray drive.:plain:

Doomulation said:
Nooooo... why? If I have something I can absolutely be certain it won't work, why can't I blame the PS3's architecture for it ? :p
You can't be certain it won't work. Not to mention, it shows you can't argue against the games, so you must take the desparate path of downplaying other features (which is what you've been doing all along).

Doomulation said:
Judging from that comment, you do not know what they are either.
They are emulators and again, emulation is an expensive task.
Although XP can be run on Linux via a wrapper. Still, emulation via a wrapper... what's the speed?
I've also said, I don't know what the speed is like, wish I knew. But I do know they pulled it off, and even running an app like Virtaul PC on a Windows Box takes it's fair share of resource requirements in order to work. That being the case, I don't think the PS3's Linux OS is as stripped down as some have made it out to be.

Doomulation

Because I'm getting tired of repeating myself. You want answers for these questions? All you've gotta do is go back and do a little bit of reading, and you'll find I've answered these questions already.;) And considering the huge embarassment you got, I don't know how you forgot the debate over the Blu Ray drive.:plain:
I never recieve a good reply.

You can't be certain it won't work. Not to mention, it shows you can't argue against the games, so you must take the desparate path of downplaying other features (which is what you've been doing all along).
I'm writing that I'm almost certain or that it is very likely it won't work. And it isn't some desperate measure to downplay the games. Oh, yes, I do so hate FPS and sports and how many of those titles are there on the PS3? And the price! Goodness! The price!
And it isn't that games are worse per se, it's that Nintendo games (and games on the Revolution) are MORE fun due to the new controller.

I've also said, I don't know what the speed is like, wish I knew. But I do know they pulled it off, and even running an app like Virtaul PC on a Windows Box takes it's fair share of resource requirements in order to work. That being the case, I don't think the PS3's Linux OS is as stripped down as some have made it out to be.

Depends on what type of applications you run. Programs that rely heavily upon branching are likely to break.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Doomulation said:
Oops, it seems we're headed for the pay-to-get model after all! No longer do you unlock stuff; you buy it! Yes! Way to go Sony, Microsoft!

What's to say that in the future Nintendo wont do the same thing. The way I see it is that if people are willing to pay for it then why not market it. Sure the game is more fun by earning your own stuff,but some people are just too lazy to do that.

Doomulation

Of course, how could I forget?
But with the rising development costs (*cough* Microsoft and Sony *cough*), it just becomes more natural for companies to do that kind of thing.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
I never recieve a good reply.
At least not according to you. But then, it was enough for others to realize how dumb you looked. You're too self centered, you think I have to meet some standard of yours or something. Guess what? Not gonna happen. Don't like my reasoning, then too bad.;)

Doomulation said:
I'm writing that I'm almost certain or that it is very likely it won't work. And it isn't some desperate measure to downplay the games. Oh, yes, I do so hate FPS and sports and how many of those titles are there on the PS3? And the price! Goodness! The price!
And it isn't that games are worse per se, it's that Nintendo games (and games on the Revolution) are MORE fun due to the new controller.
Now you're complaining about the types of games. Well, YOU might not like FPS and sports games, but you're a minority in that sense, because those are two of the hottest genres in games. And more shit about the price? Geesh, don't get mad cause you can't buy good games with a welfare check.;)

Doomulation said:
Depends on what type of applications you run. Programs that rely heavily upon branching are likely to break.
This coming from the master of electronics that got shown up. Yeah, and now I'm going to take your "technical knowledge" to heart. Thanks, but no thanks, I think I'll wait to see if someone actually pulls it off.;)

Doomulation

At least not according to you. But then, it was enough for others to realize how dumb you looked. You're too self centered, you think I have to meet some standard of yours or something. Guess what? Not gonna happen. Don't like my reasoning, then too bad.;)
I've given up trying to sway you for a long time. Not going to happen. Sony fanboy typically never change their minds.

Now you're complaining about the types of games. Well, YOU might not like FPS and sports games, but you're a minority in that sense, because those are two of the hottest genres in games. And more shit about the price? Geesh, don't get mad cause you can't buy good games with a welfare check.;)
Oh yes, but I am SO speaking of my own interests...

This coming from the master of electronics that got shown up. Yeah, and now I'm going to take your "technical knowledge" to heart. Thanks, but no thanks, I think I'll wait to see if someone actually pulls it off.;)

Because I actually know how some of the CPU architecture work. But if you don't take my word for it, then go read up on some technical articles. I'm sure you'll find 'em enlightening.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
I've given up trying to sway you for a long time. Not going to happen. Sony fanboy typically never change their minds.
I'd believe you've given up if you didn't keep arguing with everything. And now we're back to the fanboy thing. Geesh, how refreshing, I'm having a Nintendo fanboy call me that for the hundredth time. You really must have no life.:plain:

Doomulation said:
Oh yes, but I am SO speaking of my own interests...
No, you're right, nobody likes Gears Of War, Resistance, Halo, Call Of Duty, Madden titles, 2K sports titles, etc.... They just sell really well, cause people are buying them and not using them.

Doomulation said:
Because I actually know how some of the CPU architecture work.
If it's anything like your "technical knowledge" of how drives work and why "x" drive has issues over "y" drive, then I highly doubt that.;)

Doomulation

I'd believe you've given up if you didn't keep arguing with everything. And now we're back to the fanboy thing. Geesh, how refreshing, I'm having a Nintendo fanboy call me that for the hundredth time. You really must have no life.:plain:
Quite, if you say so.

No, you're right, nobody likes Gears Of War, Resistance, Halo, Call Of Duty, Madden titles, 2K sports titles, etc.... They just sell really well, cause people are buying them and not using them.
Right...

If it's anything like your "technical knowledge" of how drives work and why "x" drive has issues over "y" drive, then I highly doubt that.;)
Born dumb? It's just that you don't like to accept facts, but... I can't change your mind, can I? Well, I'll just have to let you think what you will!

Status
Not open for further replies.