What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

A Link to the Past style Ocarina of Time by JDavis

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Vanit said:
Just because its Snes-style you don't have to use huge pixels. There is no reason why you still can't make the textures intricate. I find it disappointing that some of you are taking the easy way out with huge pixels and saying; woah zomgz sn3s styl3!

There's no reason why you still can't make the textures complex.
Heh, it's not actually 'high resolution' at all. I sort of agree with you, but people tend to like different things.

Vinilipe

Brazillian EmuTalk Member
I agree too.
There could be a SNES style without huge pixels...
But Agozer is right.
Pepople tend to like different things and the idea is really good

Kerber2k

Just re-make the textures with the same style...but perhaps yea just use big pixels first untill the concept is complete. Snes OOC is good stuff.:sombrero:

jamesyfx

Out of curiosity, will these funky textures improve the games actual performance at all? Or do textures make no difference when it comes to emulation?

xneoangel

Persona User
Actually using these textures should make emulation heavier unless they are at a lower resolution than the originals and i doubt that.

Hey Vanit can you make a texture to show us what you expected from this project?

OP
JDavis

JDavis

To each their own, and to me my own involves large pixels and keeping things as true to A Link to the Past as possible. I can't speak for MuhMuh, but all of my work is technically at the same resolution as the original OoT textures, and only sized up for the sake of texture filters and other distortions. Actually, the exception would be the map, which is twice as wide and tall as the OoT map to begin with so I could fit all the detail in it that I wanted. Perhaps when I'm done with this and release it I'll do so in two versions, one as I want it and one with the textures back at their original size so you pixel haters can have a nice blurry experience.

As for "taking the easy way out with huge pixels," that's you're opinion and you're entitled to it. But I'm not making this pack for you; I'm making this pack for me. And I'm going to make it how I want it (to that end, I already find myself reworking some of the textures MuhMuh's done). If you want to spend your time redoing the textures to look how you want them, fine. I want a pack that is accurate to A Link to the Past, meaning I'm going to use the graphics from LttP as much as I can. If I was "taking the easy way out", I would have simply made that shield have a white border, light blue in the middle, and a dark blue line separating them, just like in LttP, but while that look was fine on an eight-pixel-wide shield, it wouldn't be on a large one like this. So I recreated the shield design from the LttP art while still keeping it true to the in-game LttP graphics.

I repeat myself (for not the first time in this post) that I am making this pack not for you or the emulation community or Zelda fan community or ANYBODY other than myself. To suggest that I am in any way taking an "easy way out" would be foolish in the extreme.

As I might say if I were DeForest Kelley, "Damnit, Jim! I'm a spriter, not a texture artist!" I'll be the first to admit that I would in no way be capable of doing what Djipi has done with his OoT pack... Nor would I necessarily want to. His pack is great, and I verily enjoyed it, but while I love The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time... and Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening, and The Legend of Zelda, and Four Swords Adventure, AND The Minish Cap, AND (for what I've played of them) Zelda 2 and the Oracle games, A Link to the Past is, was, and likely always will be my favorite game of the series. Actually, scratch that, my favorite game of my favorite series. While I may not be one to ever declare any game as "my favorite game (period)," if I were called upon to list my favorite X number of games in no specific order, A Link to the Past is always the one I'll say first. All I'm necessarily setting out to do with this project is make Ocarina of Time even more like A Link to the Past than it already is (and let's not get me started on how much it already is), and (for at least the third time now) I do this for myself. If you don't like then that's fine, go ahead and don't like it. I'm certainly more than happy that people are taking interest in this project and trying to help and such, but when all is said and done, I wouldn't care if I was the only person who likes it. That's all I set out for.

Vinilipe

u are right!
don't do it to please people, do it because u want to do it this way.
What i said is that it's possible to keep the "snes" feeling without huge pixels (u don't see huge pixels when playing the snes game)
but it is not what you are trying. so i respect that.
Again i think the idea is great since the snes zelda is so wonderful

Last edited:

Vanit

I didn't mean for you to take offence and I still think you're textures are good. Some of them I especially like such as the map. Its in snes style but its still very detailed. Keep up the good work.

MuhMuh

German EmuTalk Cow
Well I make the pixels round *lol*, but i think adding more colors would kill that Snes-Feeling.

Vinilipe

Maybe using a photoshop filter gives it a better look and dont take the snes feeling.
Like that:::
PS: i just made this to show what i mean and how it looks like... (needs work)

jamesyfx

The first screen doesnt look too bad, but when you get to the water and ground.. it looks far too.. how can I put it.. 'stunt race fx'. :p

minkster

Isn't there an option to enable hq2x or 2xsai in the rices plugin? Therefore I don't think you would need to redo textures for those pixel haters.

I haven't tried out the pack yet, so I don't know if it would change anything.

legend of zelda

Just another Zelda fan
Jdavis, i know your doing this for yourself, but if you want to keep it how it was on alttp on the snes, this is a good point. The water and grass shouldn't be just plain green and plain blue, because it wasn't even like that on the snes, that's more like nes style. Just take a look at these pictures from the game. Yes, some of the grass was just a plain green, but it also had some detail to it, like the flowers and the taller grass(i think that's what it is). And the water also had some details to it like the waves. I think you should at least consider redoing them.
View attachment 30583
View attachment 30584

Havok154

Also if you look at water, like in the castle in the beginning, the water is actually detailed like this...kind of OOT I guess.

normal_Bombs.jpg

pilm

+1 for the water, however on the last screenshot I think you actually see the details of the ground under the water, and not the water itself.

jessman(reborn)

EmuTalk's Own L'istigatore
You know...you should give Link BROWN hair to make him more classic. Of course, in Link to the Past it kinda looks purple, lol.

MuhMuh

German EmuTalk Cow
@legend of zelda
I tried to use some grass and flowers, but it looked crappy, because the grass is also under the water... And flowers under water? :(

h3h3

I like tha pixelated version best :)
never thought one could do such a good "in-game version" of snes-oot to be honest
this was actually my first thought when I saw the screens:D

interesting project in general
keep goin