What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Castlevania LOD Hi-res Texture Pack WIP

peessittingdown

yep I play full screen

I also tried it windowed and the sound is still quite messed up and the gameplay is quite stuttery. I notice when it stutters the processer uses alot of power.

If it helps by the way I get a black screen when I try it on open gl.

(ah I left it on for a bit and the video came on although the game is even more stuttery that it is on directx and the video soon went black again).

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Strange!

What emulator are you using?

What plugin version are you using?

Try:

1. Un-check every single option under "curret game options" other than "fast texture".
2. Set "frame update at" to "at the 1st CI change".

Let me know how that does.

Later,
Jay

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi everyone,

Here is a quick look at a texture from my new work with the Villa.

The first texture is the original, the second is my texture from release version 1.1, and the third texture is my newest work.

I will be adding some grass at the very bottom when I get the grass textures done.

Enjoy,
Jay

e7mfl1.jpg

2efs0as.jpg

30ug40x.jpg

ctatumt

Wow! Ha the original looks like a green amoeba but your final texture looks amazing! Will having such high resolution textures slow things down a bit though?

fernan1234

I haven't tried this one out yet, but from the look of those images it seems like it would be unplayable in most non-top of the line computers.

kameisama

First, let me just say that this retexture job is amazing. Looking at the textures you added above really impresses me, and I can't wait to see your final product. I saw the texture comparisons you put on the front page, and I must say that I am very impressed.
That having been said, I also noticed some people saying some things that weren't particularly constructive or even kind. Don't listen to them! There are many of us out there who appreciate the things that you do, as well as the other graphic artists on this forum who take the time to make such amazing things.
Keep up the good work!

mode7

I haven't tried this one out yet, but from the look of those images it seems like it would be unplayable in most non-top of the line computers.

Depends on how they are used in the game, but isn't it better to do a big version of a texture and then scale them down if you need better performance?

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Thank you ctatumt, Xenobond, fernan1234, kameisama, and mode7! :D

Ctatumt, green amoeba! Ha! Yeah, the original 64x64 textures really don't hold up when viewed "larger" or "close-up" do they! :borg:

Xeno, my man. How have you been? Hey, your wood texture tutorial helped me a little while doing those wood textures for the Ghost Ship a few pages back, thanks. Alpha? Do you mean the upper outline of the leaves? I did spend some time cutting the edge by hand, but I want to go back and make it much better by cutting the entire top edge by hand. I have to say this texture is far from being finished now that I have taken a second look at it. If you meant lighting on the "cap" bricks...that was all done by hand by using magic wand to select the empty area above it, moving the selection outline down to halfway on the bricks, free transform and squish the "top" of the bricks to change the angle of the patterns on it, then select inverse and lower the "lightness" of the bottom half. I also use shadowing a lot, but I do not know how to "edit alpha"(?) like you and Mode7 does. I would be interested in tutorials on how to do that. Links?

fernan1234, Thanx, I am making sure it runs good on my PC. You can see my PC specs in my profile. It's 4 years old pretty average for PC's most people have today. But, on top of that Aristotle, Microdev, death-droid and others are actively working on "Rice Video" to make Castlevania LOD and every other game work much better and run faster! They are very close to a serious update that fixes bugs that have been an issue for years and are adding many functions similar to Glide64 like texture caching! Check out the dev thread here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949&page=29

kameisama, thank you so much. Your post really made my day! :cheers: There are a few, but they are welcome as well as most of them have made me take a second look at my work and encouraged me to redo them. Hey, if the first page is all you have seen you should check out pages 4-11 and 18-21! :drool: Older pics but many of them are of parts that I am very proud of. :)

mode7, Yep, I actually did the above texture at 2048x2048 and reduced the size to 1024x1024 for the game. This is still super large and some older PC's may have a problem, but if we made these packs for the lowest common denominator our ability to maximize our artwork would be severely hampered right?! Hey, you know what would be a cool idea, a program for automatically reducing texture sizes specifically for N64 hi-res packs that could adapt to how each texture needs to be downsized by taking things like dimensional proportion into account. Then one would only have to run a pack through the program to downsize all of the textures like Aristotle did CLOD by hand so it would run on his laptop. Hmmm...I wonder of it's possible?

Ok, It's beautiful outside today and we have corned-beef in the crock pot with family coming over later so I gotta go. Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone! :party:

Later,
Jay

fernan1234

Glad to hear that. And thanks for your detailed response.

You're doing a great work on this game, BTW, and I can't wait until it's completed so that I can play one of my favorite games with these amazing graphics that you are creating. Keep up your great work!

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
gitech- Pixel/Texel Density. Use it. If you're going to just go and make insanely high resolution textures, at least make sure that they all match up to each other in-game.

Here's a discussion that should give you some insight on how to approach this issue-
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=35204

And yes, when I referred to the alpha in your texture, I meant the 'upper outline of the leaves'. It is most commonly referred to as either an alpha channel, alpha mask, transparency mask or opacity mask.

cerebus5

Good grief gitech you're going to annihilate my PC with those textures. Now I'll have to buy a 24" monitor just to play your textures at full res :D

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
:D Yep, I am using my 52" Samsung LN52A550 as my PC monitor. It's crazy! :D

It's really helped to raise my expectations for my work. ;)

My overall goal is to make it look as good (and better) as the Xbox 360 as possible. DXT and/or better ASF will help with that.

Xb, Yep, I am very aware and spend an incredible amount of time paying attention to pixel density taking many factors into account (and texture seam alignment). Good read, thanks. We need much better ASF or MIP Mapping to really unlock the potential of overall scene clarity/integrity. DXT (DDS) texture format under Jabo works like a charm. I hope the Aristotle Video team will be able to implement DXT support for plugin.

TTYL,
Jay

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
:D I'm in!!!

Holy $h1T! My pc HD crashed a several weeks ago, and now with a new HD and OS, and setting up everything like my ISP with my (old) outlook email that emutalk is associated with I was just now able to request a new password and fix all that too.

I saw these posts SG and cerebus while I was on lunch today because I am trying to quite smoking and had some time to kill, so I checked in on a work PC.

Thanks guys. Honestly, I had thought no one cared any more, and with how slow things were, both with retexturing and emu/plugin developement, I have picked up several other projects to keep me busy lately. I'll share them with you all in the coming days as well. :)

I've got good news too. But I'll save all this typing for another time. It's late and I have lots to do.

It feels good to be typing here again! :D I've got a lot of catching up to do, huh?!

So, how's everyone doing?!

Later,
Jay