What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Zelda Ocarina of time Community Retexture Project

chaoszerox

hires_texture
I believe the correct term isn't cartoonish, but Anime style. Still maintains a level of detail, but has a very specific style that is commonly (and mistakenly) associated with cartoons.

Should I drop a zip of what I have so far since I need external help to continue the rest?
It's not anime style lol
I tried that with the eyes HERE, but that wasn't acceptable, very old pic btw.
It's it's own style, and we don't aim to change the original style, but to make it clearer and higher definition.
I think you all really need to watch THIS to get a better idea what is the IDEAL way to make textures for this project. Obviously it's going to be different for different textures...

@kristian I'd really like you to release you models so I can show you what I would like to see.

turpinator

Piledriver Program Advance!
Heh, nevermind, I got your hearts. Sorry they are rough, they were quickly made up. I'll prolly go back to it later and use a mixture of mine and the current ones to make it look more professional.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vgptbq23zw5r7ww

EDIT: And fixed the health for good.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dk1mksg1cm5rr67

I must say, I'm surprised I did so well. Should we replace the old one for this in the project?

NewHearts.png

NewHeartsWdefense.png

Last edited:

Fak

I think this version is looking something nice. But IMO the colors could change a little.
The first one could be brighter when filled and darker when empty.
The second one could be darker.

MasterGunz2345

Nice work turp, i hope when V5 pack comes out, everything show in those pics will be in the pack, because when I had V4 Pack, the pack didn't include half of the items like deku nut, the bottles, magic, eye of truth, etc that were in High Resolution. Btw, since this is a BETA, when this project is fully and I mean fully done, which can be a long time from now, will the final pack include everything everybody has worked on? lol I know this is waaaaay to early to talk about it, but its just on the top of my head.

turpinator

I think this version is looking something nice. But IMO the colors could change a little.
The first one could be brighter when filled and darker when empty.
The second one could be darker.
Sorry, but that's the emulator dealing with the sprites. In fact, I crafted it the same way the old one was, so there is no difference in shade. The game just wants to make sure there is a visible difference between a normal heart meter and the courage upgraded meter.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

@MasterGunz2345 I swear you have already asked this question tons of times before, stop asking. The answer for you is it will only include work that has being accepted to be at the quality and the art aim of what the project demands.
@kristian826 sorry but that does not fit the style of any of the other textures at all, it also has the major problem of looking quite flat. And from what I remember Datadyne was doing some modeling and texturing of the backgrounds.
@Hey! Listen! Unless you are able to reproduce the quality of the hearts without the faults that you think exist then I will not be replacing them.
@Turpinator, good job on those hearts but sadly they don't have the same kind of quality the ones by Feddereli had in them, god job none the less.

@Everyone four days till i release the pack(GMT+10)

kristian826

well blame game for looking flat... I've made sure every possible angle and distortion is the same as game's... it's the game that has some problems with "looking flat"...

well anyway I've worked some more on this stuff but if it's not going to be in pack - why bothering with uploading it... also I am gonna quit from these stuff for some time... most likely for good...

MasterGunz2345

I don't see the problem with your pictures kristian826. Your texture pack to me, would go well with the pack, but idk why everybody else is saying it wouldn't fit the pack.

chaoszerox

hires_texture
only include work that has being accepted to be at the quality and the art aim of what the project demands.
But we don't have any official "art aim" of what the project demands do we?

only 2 pages back >.>
P.S. Can't for for DD to release the v5 pack, which he said he needed reminding that he said he was going to release it on the 31st of July 2010 :)
Also I really think we need some kind of statement of the project's style and goal and goals. I think I've said this before, but I don't remember getting any response. Might I suggest this, which I spent some time writing:

Code:
This Retexture Project has a style that everyone should follow if they wish to contribute here.
This project does not seek to add a wildly different art style to the game, but to refine the original,
keeping the original 'feel' of the game, and adding to what the original developers could not produce due to technical limitations (and money).
Not making major changes to what everything is interpreted as, and trying to refine the original into a new, upgraded version of the original is our goal.
Sometimes there are exceptions were the originals, or parts of them just don't fit, or make sense for where they are, or what they appear to be.
These are the only exceptions, and can be improvised and creatively worked upon, changing the original or part of it to something that makes sense, fits and keeps with the original 'feel'.
In the end it's the project management that determines if the texture makes it into the pack.

Last edited:

Hey! Listen!

kristian826 I think your work is awesome and would love to see it in the pack. I don't understand the problem some people are having with it. It looks like it fits perfectly. For all the praise links tree house got yours looks like it's done in the same style to me so keep on trucking. If they dont want it in just release it on your own. Eventually they'll (by they i mean death driod) will realize how dumb it is to not accept that great work.

turpinator

@Hey! Listen! Unless you are able to reproduce the quality of the hearts without the faults that you think exist then I will not be replacing them.
@Turpinator, good job on those hearts but sadly they don't have the same kind of quality the ones by Feddereli had in them, god job none the less.

While I respect your opinion, I really have to say... wat. I used the texture of an official art heart container to make them, how could the quality be wrong?

And also I'm noticing a distinct divide in preference with what should and should not be in the pack. I propose standalone optional mini-packs for those sections that people prefer work that someone else did. While still conforming to the (implied) artistic art style the game has given us as an example. We shouldn't be bound by choosing between which one is better if we have two options that work well in either sense.

Last edited:

chaoszerox

hires_texture
kristian826 I think your work is awesome and would love to see it in the pack. I don't understand the problem some people are having with it. It looks like it fits perfectly. For all the praise links tree house got yours looks like it's done in the same style to me so keep on trucking. If they dont want it in just release it on your own. Eventually they'll (by they i mean death driod) will realize how dumb it is to not accept that great work.
It's not so much that it's not good, it's just that it could be sooo much better than what we're currently seeing in renders posted here. I gave a whole list
@kristian Can you release your models so we can help you more easily?
I'd also like to stress this a bit more
Stuff like the sand really doesn't make any sense to me. I think it would be better if there were some green grass there.
Also the black stuff that foundations the building near the market entrance don't make sense to me here...Try to be a bit creative here.
For the bridge, it needs to match the current one the in the v4 pack, which is fantastic BTW.
I think the widnows on the building need to be more simple, it will look bad (aliased) ingame
Speaking of texture aliasing, your render needs to have 3D anti-aliasing!
Also I think the night version should have less saturation than the day version, as it would in real life lighting.
All the floor patch bricks need to be the same size
and I'll add to it.

-#- The trees need work, especially the left one, it should branch out at the bottom more, and if it is indeed tall enough to cast a shadow on THE TOP of the building, it DOES NOT LOOK THAT TALL, but stretched to be that tall.. It also looks rather 'pasted in' as The Dave says. It also looks like everyone of it's branches are pointed up, unlike the original, or default as you call it ;)

-#- The stones that make up the stone wall/barrier of over the bridge, and the building attached need to have the same stone texture used on it viewed from Hyrule field for consistency to make sense.

Also when making textures for the pack you need to think more dynamically, think in 4 or more dimensions!
Sometimes it's easier for someone else to see this about someone else's work, which has been true for a lot of my work, especially the older stuff.

my request still stands for asking for the models, I just would like a yes or no please :)
and nah I didn't make those better just because stonework is smaller... I checked on default and with closer examining I noticed that big walkway has smaller stones than the one leading in town which has larger ones... that is why I continued working on that 2nd version...
I think this is one of those cases where part of the original doesn't make sense. It would make sense for them all to be the same size, otherwise it would be unnatural for the game or real life.
The texture you posted is the one in the pack I was talking about.

Last edited:

Hey! Listen!

It's not so much that it's not good, it's just that it could be sooo much better than what we're currently seeing in renders posted here. I gave a whole list
and I'll add to it.

-#- The trees need work, especially the left one, it should branch out at the bottom more, and if it is indeed tall enough to cast a shadow on THE TOP of the building, it DOES NOT LOOK THAT TALL, but stretched to be that tall.. It also looks rather 'pasted in' as The Dave says. It also looks like everyone of it's branches are pointed up, unlike the original, or default as you call it ;)

-#- The stones that make up the stone wall/barrier of over the bridge, and the building attached need to have the same stone texture used on it viewed from Hyrule field for consistency to make sense.

Also when making textures for the pack you need to think more dynamically, think in 4 or more dimensions!
Sometimes it's easier for someone else to see this about someone else's work, which has been true for a lot of my work, especially the older stuff.

my request still stands for asking for the models, I just would like a yes or no please :)
I think this is one of those cases where part of the original doesn't make sense. It would make sense for them all to be the same size, otherwise it would be unnatural for the game or real life.
The texture you posted is the one in the pack I was talking about.

Well yeah of course it's not perfect. It's also obviously not finished. But what it is is good and 1000% times better than nothing.

As turpinator pointed out death-droid's "quality control" is starting to seriously lack. I've read through a good portion of this topic and honestly it doesn't seem like it's the artists holding the project back at all, it seems like it's more death-droid. Hopefully he sticks to this new release date, unlike the last one, and hopefully he optimizes the pack a little bit (compression, removing duplicates) because really, aside from zipping it up and uploading it somewhere every couple of months what else does he have to do?

I wouldn't accept stop-gap unfinished work for the project. But I certainly wouldn't be telling kristian826 that the work isn't appropriate because it is. It's a lot more true to the original than the new Links tree house interior I saw a few pages ago.

Anyway to sum up, if I were to point fingers at anything wrong with the project at this point, I'd point all ten of mine at death-droid. (or 8 and 2 thumbs? And who really points all 10 fingers anyway? You get the idea)

turpinator

Don't use my words out of context. I still think that kristian826 needs to work on his submission. The very point of posting it here is not just to submit, but to take critique to make it better FOR submission. I get the big picture here and am just voicing a concern.

And the new treehouse for Link is VERY appropriate, as it matches the new textures for the village itself as well on it's own, compared to the original, yes it's going to look very off. But compared to all the work that has been done in Kokiri forest it fits.

xZabuzax

Well yeah of course it's not perfect. It's also obviously not finished. But what it is is good and 1000% times better than nothing.

^This...

I also agree that is better than nothing, i mean is not like it looks sooo fugly to not be included in the pack (because actually it does looks good in my opinion and 1000x times better than the original N64 one).

Of course the texture could use a little work but it was unfinished to begin with. kristian826 keep up the good work man.

MasterGunz2345

^This...

I also agree that is better than nothing, i mean is not like it looks sooo fugly to not be included in the pack (because actually it does looks good in my opinion and 1000x times better than the original N64 one).

Of course the texture could use a little work but it was unfinished to begin with. kristian826 keep up the good work man.

Agreed 100%

chaoszerox

hires_texture
As turpinator pointed out death-droid's "quality control" is starting to seriously lack. I've read through a good portion of this topic and honestly it doesn't seem like it's the artists holding the project back at all, it seems like it's more death-droid. Hopefully he sticks to this new release date, unlike the last one, and hopefully he optimizes the pack a little bit (compression, removing duplicates) because really, aside from zipping it up and uploading it somewhere every couple of months what else does he have to do?
He does make textures, he just hasn't done it much. I also respect his devotion to the project, he has never QUIT.
A lot of leaders of online groups, absolutely ANY kind of online group/clan/ect/ect, often quit less than 1/2 a year into what ever the group does. This project has been active for over 2 years according to the first post.
I 90% respect all of his decisions regarding quality of textures, and whether it get's into the pack or not.
What I don't like is that he doesn't get online much >.> and I've never gotten to chat with him live, only communication is this forum.

LET'S GET BACK ON THE PRIMARY TOPIC OF TEXTURES :)
and MasterGunz please don't make posts just to agree with something, this is how pages get filled up fast

I've been really busy lately but I should have the 'Hyrule city project dumps' finished hopefully by the end of the weekend.
I'm downloading an 11 hour Maya 2011 tutorial that Datadayne suggested to me, which should teach me enough to start modeling the Market (I hope?)

Last edited:

mode7

BTW: I admit the render of the town entrance doesn't look very good - the model and the matching is nice tough. Why not sharing it for retexturing and rendering?

Everyone else: Stop picking on death droid. He's got the hardest job of all here. Making sure everything sticks together.

@chaos: you're right. Everybody go back to texturing
Well you might have noticed that I haven't done very much the last half year. I can say I lost my enthusiasm for the project.
I'll hand in my temple of time and the stuff I did for fire temple and than I'll take a break to replay OoT with the textures so far to get into the project again and regaining my focus.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

@Kristian826 the main problem with your thing is the textures don't fit the style of the actual ones that were used in the original image. You did a great job for the textures you used, you should try and grab hold of someone to recreate the textures for you. I never said your work was bad just that it didn't fit the art direction. Oh yeah http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4625/thelegendofzeldacef20e8.png is the bridge texture if I remember correctly.

@Chaoszerox updated the front page with the art aim, it saw it before just forgot to update the front page with it, sorry :p
Oh yeah if I remember right Kristian826 makes all of them using the textures no models which is kind of impressive, but then I may of misread about that.
Lastly thanks for sticking up for me!

@turpinator If you can recreate the hearts at a higher resolution I will gladly accept them, just looked more at them and they kind of look nicer then the original redone ones by Feddereli. Will include them in the next pack if they pass a couple of little tests.

@Hey! Listen! whether work is good or not doesn't really matter if it doesn't match the style of the rest of the pack its as simple as that and nothing is always better then having something that looks out of place.

@Mode7 will you be uploading your textures before or after the 31st, also thanks for sticking up for me!.

@Everyone I must admit some of my decisions have being quite bad or I have failed to properly explain something, I will be creating a new topic for this for the next pack release so anybody who has had there work rejected can resubmit it so better criticism can be given, as I have being pretty lack on explaining what is wrong with something and what needs fixing with it that also means if you think I have missed something in this topic please post a link to the post.

Last edited: