What's new

Needs Tester For An Experimental Glide Wrapper

rcgamer

the old guy
ok yeah now pokemon puzzle league is working but i had to turn off hardware framebuffer. and i get the background picture but it is not correct.

whats funny is if i turn off every single thing(hardware framebuffer, smart reading etc) in glide64 plugin i get it to look like trotterwatchs.

Last edited:
OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
as i said hwfbe is only working in zelda afaik....
when hwfbe emulation is on, glide64 doesn't handle fullscreen/window mode switch with a wrapper, it'll be fixed in next glide64 release.

Pokemon puzzle league and dr mario64 work better when you run them in fullscreen mode.

rcgamer

the old guy
yeah , i think we all kind of got excited and forgot about that. lol. :bounce:
Besides its always fun to experiment.

olivieryuyu

Hacktarux said:
as i said hwfbe is only working in zelda afaik....
when hwfbe emulation is on, glide64 doesn't handle fullscreen/window mode switch with a wrapper, it'll be fixed in next glide64 release.

Pokemon puzzle league and dr mario64 work better when you run them in fullscreen mode.

hwfbe are also working for some small effects in Conker too : see the end of the intro : the circle is a hwfbe (without it's a square)

Last edited:

Kyo

Yeah..
Do you guys think a Radeon 8500 with an xp1900+ is too slow to get this wrapper to run at full speed? In Super Smash Bros. i get major slowdowns, and this is weird 'cause they only happen when one of the player is either Falcon, Link, Fox or Samus, i don't know why. Slowdowns occur when hitting those bots, and when the white platform under resurrecting characters appear. Any clue?

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
If you have speed issues, you can try this version that doesn't have texture filtering:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
after some tries and errors, i get the wrapper only running at window, and not more at fullscreen....... don't ask me because i rebooted my pc 4 or 5 times, disabled HWFB and reenabled, so much options.....
i'll try without filtering, since i'm having some ramdom speed issues.......
banjo tooie freezed after i use the teleporter...... but is only the first impressions for me, i'll test more....

rcgamer

the old guy
yep that did it. now the games are going good. and yeah pokemon puzzle league is almost perfect in full screen. thats odd though that in window mode the backgrounds is messed up. but i guess its got something to do with the way glide is designed for full screen. anyway , thanks.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
yep, when i press ctrl+b to activate the HWFB, the wrapper go to full screen, no chance on this.........
but contrarily as rcgamer said, and my experience as (beginner) programmer, i don't believe that a glide wrapper + plugin can't do all his functions in windowed mode... i believe Gonetz (and/or hacktarux) needs to do only some tweaks to run the HWFB in window mode.....

/EDIT/
I don't know if this is a Glide64 or Wrapper issue, but when i stop the game and restart another, i get only a blackscreen and the sound of the game, with controller response, but no screen.....

/EDIT2/
AA works perfectly (tested 4xAA and 8xAA), but Anisotropic Filter (4x, 8x) seems no.
Posted an AA working image....

Last edited:

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Okay, I have been playing Zelda Master Quest with this wrapper version and just have a few things to say. I'm not sure if this was happening with previous version or if this is a Glide64 issue but I get path corruption when in Hyrule Field- that is the path will start disappearing.

Secondly, I have to wonder if full screen mode is really full screen? I don't know what you and Gonetz have talked about and come to a consensus on, but I do feel that your wrapper is not yet going to full screen and here is why: besides the reason in my post a few pages back, there is also the ATI color controls. These color controls have two settings- one for desktop and one for full screen 3D. Because my video card displays the graphics a little on the dark side I set up controls to adjust the gamma, brightness, and contrast. These controls only work in full screen mode. When I use other plugins like Jabo's and go to full screen I adjust the gamma using the hotkeys I set up. When in desktop mode I have to open up the color settings and adjust the desktop settings (makes my desktop too bright but the GFX in the emulator just right). Now, with Glide64 and your wrapper the desktop settings control it when I'm in window mode as normal, but when I went to full screen I expected the hot keys I set up to work. When they didn't I decided for the heck of it to see if the desktop adjustment had an effect. It did. This would seem to suggest that the emulator is still in desktop mode and not full screen mode. I really should compare this behavior with eVoodoo since that would give more reliable comparisons as both use Glide64 and therefore differences can be definitively attributed to the wrapper instead of wondering if it's the plugin. The reason I have not is that for some reason eVoodoo gives a brighter picture than any other plugin and so I do not need to adjust anything. One thing I do know about full screen with eVoodoo is that it did not display the staus bar but I have know idea if it was by a hack or what (and unless McLeod rises from the dead it will remain a mystery...).

Third, when I go to full screen some textures get messed up. For example, in Kokiri Forest the ground and some other textures will get a purplish tinge. Dunno what's causing this, but it is keeping me in windowed mode since everything looks great in it. I have not taken any screenshots this time but if it helps I will. Just say the word.

Finally, I am having trouble with HWFB on Zelda: MQ. If it only works on the original OOT then I guess it's not an issue, but if I enable HWFB then I get a plugin exception when I go to the subscreen.

Anyway, that's it for now. I look forward to the continued progress of this wrapper as well as the release of the new Glide64 version when Gonetz gets back. It is certainly a world above eVoodoo at this point (indeed even back a couple of betas) and allows us with cards left behind by other plugin authors experience the full N64 emulation experience. I can't quite figure it out, but your wrapper makes Glide64 the only plugin that gives OpenGL a good name on my Radeon 7500. Rice's (in OpenGL mode) and glN64 look really bad on my Radeon, but your wrapper displays GFX beautifully.

olivieryuyu

errors with Banjo Tooie with using hwfbe:

grchromakeyValue
grchromakeyMode: unkown 1

may that's the point for non shadows effects using hwfbe ? don't know

to see that just start the game and let the intro run (don't press start)

(i have real glide library on my pc so i can get the error message, may be not other people)

Please have a look

Thanks !!!!

Shin_Gouki

Qun Mang said:
... I can't quite figure it out, but your wrapper makes Glide64 the only plugin that gives OpenGL a good name on my Radeon 7500. Rice's (in OpenGL mode) and glN64 look really bad on my Radeon, but your wrapper displays GFX beautifully.
i think thats thanks to hacktarux really HARD work to slip arround the ATI and Nvidia "optimisations" , really thumbs up hack ;)
wbr Shin Gouki

minkster

Shin_Gouki said:
i think thats thanks to hacktarux really HARD work to slip arround the ATI and Nvidia "optimisations" , really thumbs up hack ;)
wbr Shin Gouki

yeah its like a miracle to n64 emualtion greaT job hackatrux :icecream:

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
olivieryuyu said:
errors with Banjo Tooie with using hwfbe:

grchromakeyValue
grchromakeyMode: unkown 1

may that's the point for non shadows effects using hwfbe ? don't know

to see that just start the game and let the intro run (don't press start)

(i have real glide library on my pc so i can get the error message, may be not other people)

Please have a look

Thanks !!!!

Hmm, i don't know how to emulate this function with opengl. I can't think about any easy equivalent feature.

Some news about the wrapper: the next version will be released together with new glide64 ;)

olivieryuyu

Hacktarux said:
Hmm, i don't know how to emulate this function with opengl. I can't think about any easy equivalent feature.

Some news about the wrapper: the next version will be released together with new glide64 ;)

well the author of glidos have already worked on it i think (may be others) here a link to his source code of the interesting part of grChromakeyValue. it's a OpenSource under LGPL license project. May be it could inspire you (?).

cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/openglide/openglide/grguColorAlpha.cpp?rev=1.25

Happy to see that your wrapper and glide64 are now fully linked now.

thanks

Last edited: