What's new

Needs Tester For An Experimental Glide Wrapper

BountyJedi

how do i get it working?
i tried this a little but i couldnt get fullscreen its still just the normal with the buttons of 1964 (what im runing glide64 in) just gets covered like fullscreen ontop of the desktop or something really wierd... i tried without frambuffer and all that but still no fullscreen and i belvive i saw some1 else on this thread who manged to get hwfb working in only fullscreen but i cant get it working at all it seems what is wrong? can it be that i have to new catalyst drivers for my ati radeon 9800?
ah well most games are playable without hwfb but im just curious =p
and fullscreen would also be a good thing =p
(and is there really a short button for hwfb (in glide64)? i didnt find one=P)

Spooky

Hi There

Iam sorry this is a little off topic for the N64 emulator but it has to do with the Glide3 emulator so I hope youll forgive me :)

Hi Hac, Ive been using the evoodoo emulator to get an old Glide title I did working again and it works quite well but someone said to try your emulator but unfortunately apon installing and trying it it seems to be missing a few functions, things like grQueryResolutions and the grFog stuff. I realise you arnt developing the emulator for general Glide stuff but for the N64 stuff, but I was wondering if there is any chance in the future you will be adding these functions :)

Many thanks.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Of course... hacktarux's plan (I think & I hope :p) is to preferbly make it as good as on voodoo cards. Btw, this is a "wrapper" not an "emulator."

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I don't know if i'll implement missing functions right now but at least i'll open the source code with the next release, so if anyone want to complete it, you're welcome.

Hopefully, there won't be any fullscreen/window switch problems with the next release as it'll be correctly integrated with 1964.

Spooky

Hacktarux said:
I don't know if i'll implement missing functions right now but at least i'll open the source code with the next release, so if anyone want to complete it, you're welcome.

Hopefully, there won't be any fullscreen/window switch problems with the next release as it'll be correctly integrated with 1964.

Many thanks for the reply, Ill look forward to the next release :)

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It's done, the new version is released with the latest glide64 plugin as well as the source code. It can be downloaded there : http://www.emuxhaven.net/~glide64/

EDIT: There's a new dialog box to configure the wrapper, you can access it through the glide64 config dialog box. Currently, you can configure the fullscreen resolution and the texture filter you want to use (there are only two atm : my little filter i was working on and 2xsai).

Last edited:

minkster

i'm impressed once again hack! great job on your wrapper, but i do have one problem in smash brothers it seems that textures are missing and flickers throughout some of the levels in the game. I tried various settings to get the game working, but they dont seem to work do you have any ideas?

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Would it be possible to make a sort of enhanced Glide wrapper that exposes extra combiners? That way Gonetz could fix the N64 combiners that are impossible to implement in Glide.

gandalf

Member ready to help
mmmmmmmmmm....it´s something like creating another gfx plug-in
But it´s a good idea:
When the user runs Glide+Hack Wrapper, Glide recognize the wrapper and loads the "extra combiners" for non 3dFX cards(or the wrapper too).

Sorry for the english :(

Last edited:

JoshColey

This fixes fullscreen for my Radeon 7000.
Maybe it will help others?
I included the main.c source file, the change is marked with
//FIXED

olivieryuyu

The Khan Artist said:
Would it be possible to make a sort of enhanced Glide wrapper that exposes extra combiners? That way Gonetz could fix the N64 combiners that are impossible to implement in Glide.

good idea.For fog too. if the lasts funtions for hwfbe could be implemeted to it would be great but well the wrapper is already very good. So let's wait and see ....

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The Khan Artist : this would have to be asked to Gonetz... The wrapper combiner is easy to enhance as long as there are opengl standard functions to do what we want, but the real hard work is to improve glide64 to support it i think.

JoshColey: thx, can you describe exactly what was your problem so that i know if it can possibly fix problems with other cards ?

JoshColey

Well Everytime I tried to enter fullscreen it gave me error saying
SetPixelFormat failed.

Looking through your source code I found this.

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = {
sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR), // size of this pfd
1, // version number
PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW | // support window
PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | // support OpenGL
PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED | //PFD_SWAP_COPY | PFD_SWAP_EXCHANGE |
PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER, // double buffered
PFD_TYPE_RGBA, // RGBA type
16, <- 16 bpp
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // color bits ignored
0, // no alpha buffer
0, // shift bit ignored
0, // no accumulation buffer
0, 0, 0, 0, // accum bits ignored
16, // z-buffer
0, // no stencil buffer
01, // no auxiliary buffer
PFD_MAIN_PLANE, // main layer
0, // reserved
0, 0, 0}; // layer masks ignored
int pfm;

You asked ChoosePixelFormat to find a Pixel Format of 16bpp.

memset(&fullscreenMode, 0, sizeof(DEVMODE));
fullscreenMode.dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE);
fullscreenMode.dmPelsWidth= pc_width;
fullscreenMode.dmPelsHeight= pc_height;
fullscreenMode.dmBitsPerPel= 32; <- 32bpp
fullscreenMode.dmDisplayFrequency= 60;
fullscreenMode.dmFields = DM_BITSPERPEL | DM_PELSWIDTH | DM_PELSHEIGHT | DM_DISPLAYFREQUENCY;

But you set the fullscreen's bpp to 32.
So ChoosePixelFormat couldn't find a Pixel Format that matched 16bpp.
I changed fullscreen bpp to 16 it works fine.
Maybe you should let the user change the bpp.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much :)

olivieryuyu

well Hacktarux i have a problem with my other computer and your wrapper: i got a geforce4mx and there is a lot of gfx problem (i use the 2 ini provided but nothing to do ...) i try a lot of different version of driver (from 4x.xx to 5x.xx) and nothing to do too. it's look like alpha layers are not working for some games. i could post screenshots if you want. :) thanks

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, I don't know if this is only me or something...
I also KNOW the rom image is bad, so I don't know if that's the problem either...
But it seems that when using the wrapper with glide64 in ogre battle 64, it consumes up memory until it finally crashes. This does not happen with any other plugin. This happens with both 1964 AND project64.
Sometimes it also has the same problems as jabo's. It lags at certain places (framebuffer?). These include random in battle, when having gone to a new location on the world map and the odd screen with a number on it which appears when entering a new area.

And also what you're already aware of - it doesn't truly use fullscreen. It merly resizes the window to match the resolution.

Otherwise besides these problems, the wrapper along with glide64 emulates this game perfecly.

Note that rice's plugin has neither of these problems, but has a problem of its own (see battles with the plugin).

Great job, hack!

revl8er

That Damn Good
I am also getting serious gfx errors with this new wrapper, but I'm pretty sure that you will fix it in the next release so keep up the great work.