What's new

Geometry Dumper... how?

Guru64

1. You can't get textures out of Nemu with the default plugin. But there is another plugin that extracts textures.(forgot it's name)
2. Dunno.

Anton

I like beer
Better to make textures from screenshots, because if extract them from rom - the quality is VERY poor.
As for ladders, chains etc - there are textures with alpha chanel, which means transparency.
Similar is done in quake3-engine's games textures.
TGA texture with alpha-channel + small script file

So it depends on for what you need models from zelda?
If for converting, say, kokiri forest to a quake3 map (this is what I started to do long time ago, but lost interest...) - there are no problem with textures+alpha:
Draw rectangle (brush) in Q3 editor -> assign special "no draw" texture to it, then select just one face of that rectangle and assign a TGA texture with alpha channel (which have a script file) to it.
Example of script file (this is mine, from unfinished Kokiri Forest for Quake3) - wood texture (used on those thin bridges over Saria house):

textures/kokiri/wood
{
qer_editorimage textures/kokiri/wood.tga
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm alphashadow
cull none
nopicmip
{
map textures/kokiri/wood.tga
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
alphaFunc GE128
depthWrite
rgbGen identity
}
{
map $lightmap
rgbGen identity
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
depthFunc equal
}
}

If you need just to recreate a model in good quality in 3dstudio - you definitely need to improve the model, add some geometry, etc. So you don't ever need alpha channels. Just build those ladders in 3D.

If someone could make a lil executablethat plays kokiri forrest rendered in 3d max that would be SO cool, in development the things learned would no doubt be useful for modders around the world.

What do people think? I think it could be a fun projects, start with just the geometry, and then spend a while texturing it?

Im such a geek!

Pogo

A geek?

Im such a geek!

If you're implying that you are "geek" simply due to the fact you are experienced in computing and technology, you are mistaken. Knowledge like that can take you very far in the 21st century. I pitty those who think not.

..nah im implying that im a geek because i want to do something that does nothing to further humanity but simply provides that giddy kind of joy that only something thats never really done before can do.

(Damn if i could structure a sentance i'd be dangerous)

In other words, a win32 exe that had link running around hyrule field or something, would just strike me as cool.. quite like a lot of the quake re-texturing projects out there.

Neophyte

Anton said:
Here's what Milkshape3D says about Conker:

I hate to ressurrect dead threads but...

I don't know if you read my thread on the PJ64 board but I'm starting a remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day for the PC and I've run into some road blocks namely my inability to get my hands on the geometry of the multiplayer levels as well as the character and weapon models.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get the geometry from the levels of Conker's Bad Fur Day but no matter what I do I always meet failure. Since you've managed to get the geo I thought you could maybe give me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong.

I've installed Nemu on to my system without any problems. Now, I try to load the ROM and I get 100% of it but then it freezes. It says that it has encountered an error and it has to close now. Now I know that it isn't the ROM because it loads just fine in PJ64. And I'm pretty sure that it isn't the video plug-in because I've tried every video plug-in that I have and I still get the same error. So do you know what I'm doing wrong? Is there some special step that I'm missing that needs to be done to set up Nemu properly? Is there a special plug-in that I'll need to use? What steps did you take to get the geo? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Again, sorry to bring this thread up but I'm pretty desperate.

Anton

I like beer
Well... actually I don't know how to solve your problem, sorry.
I only know that Conker works very bad in nemu.
Those model I ripped was from the beginning (conker with chainsaw). This game works really bad in nemu for me.

Neophyte

Anton said:
Well... actually I don't know how to solve your problem, sorry.
I only know that Conker works very bad in nemu.
Those model I ripped was from the beginning (conker with chainsaw). This game works really bad in nemu for me.

Oh. Well, that's okay. Thanks for responding though. I appreciate it.

Do you know anyone that can get the geo of the levels though?

jessman1988

Banned
PLEASE help me! I've never done this before, and I don't see ANY dumping option in the video "section". Can you PLEASE tell me what version of NEMU, and WHAT tab, with WHAT plugin, EXACTLY?!?!? Please hep me out. I really wanna see this, but I don't know where to go!

Anton

I like beer
Nemu 0.8
In video settings check "export VRML"
Current geometry starts dumping to c:/output.wrl
Uncheck "export VRML" to finish dumping.

*bumpety*

just intrigued to see what people may have done with this in the time since this thread was last written in..

screenshots?

Neophyte

sytaylor said:
*bumpety*

just intrigued to see what people may have done with this in the time since this thread was last written in..

screenshots?

Unfortuneately, nothing. I still can't get Nemu to run ANY of my ROMs so that is a dead end. 1964, won't dump either. And PJ64, the only emu that will actually run Conkers, doesn't dump geo.

After this thread, I got desperate and decided to try find a disassembler so I could disasm the ROM and slowly, ever so slowly, piece together their fileformat for their models and then extract them from the ROM.

Now this approach would probably take me months of bloody hard work but it is doable and if I kept at it long enough would gaurantee results.

Of coarse, life being as it is, I ran into yet another road block. All of the free disassemblers on the net that I could find, either didn't disasm r4300i cpus or disassembled it poorly, leaving out key N64 instructions.

The only disassembler that I could find that would work with this cpu and system type is of coarse, IDA. Interactive Disassembler. In case you don't know, IDA is the supreme god of disassemblers. It is the absolute best in the business and induces drool in disasm freeks the world over. Unfortunately, that kind of awesome power tends to come at a price. A hefty price.

Only the advanced version supports the r4300i and its price tag is $800. 800 friggin dollars. Thats well out of my price range.

I would love to get this thing off the ground and started but I just don't have any the models,textures, and , most importantly, levels to make any kind of start. I've just about given up on ever getting this thing started as it seems to me to be all but impossible.

Maybe if I was allowed to beta test the next Nemu(is there one?) I could maybe help the developers find out what the hell is wrong with my comp and why it won't run any ROMs, but as that seems unlikely it looks like I'll just have to wait for the next version of either Nemu or 1964 and hope that they will run Conkers bad fur day.

Of coarse, if someone else can get Nemu to run Conkers and dump the geo that would help me greatly but from what I've heard only PJ64 can really run Conkers all that well.

So, Geo dumping is a no go as is disasming it and doing it the hard way. So to sum up: I'm still dead in the water when it comes to making this sequal.