What's new

Geometry Dumper... how?

CyBeRDrizzt

Hi

Has anyone worked out how to use the geometry dumper yet?

Everythime I try, nothing gets outputted, am i missing something?

Apart from that, Nemu is a great emu and the new debugger is amazing.

dav3

In the Video section of nemu, there is an option to do this.
It dumps them into the c: directory.
The format is VRML [extension .wrl (I think)]

To view them, download a vrml viewer. It's pretty neat to look at mario's head in a free view rather than from just fixed at the front.

(This option doesn't dump textures, so if you decide to pick the scene of the castle in mario64, you just get the shape of it.

OP
C

CyBeRDrizzt

Thanks a lot Dav3

I can confirm that the output is C:\Output.wrl - so its a VRML world format, its amazing being able to see how hyrule field in zelda oot is created :)

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
hey dav3 do you know if it is possible to open the VRML format in Milkshape or one of those modeling programs? or maybe convert it?..... I could of sworn I've seen an option to import VRML into milkshape.... edit: looks like there isn't an option to do that

Last edited:

Anton

I like beer
Here's some screenshots.

Mario head - rendered in 3d max (it imports *.wrl files good):

Anton

I like beer
3D max screen with Link's figure opened
(I dumped lot of stuff from kokiri forest - but saved just Link's figure). Needs some smoothing, though:
Awesome feature in Nemu.
Finally.

Anton

I like beer
jvolel said:
If this is a joke I am going to find where you live and strangle you lol

Welcome to Kiev.

No, this is not a joke. I just forgot about april 1st, really :)
Try it.
Select "export vrml", just walk around in kokiri (the game really slows whith this box checked).
Import output.wrl from c:/ into 3dmax - and you'll see a lot of garbage, but zoom in - and you'll see everything. Link, kokiris, houses, crappy relief, other stuff.

As for mario head - when I put a light into the scene - his face looks facetted when rendered. Strange.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Anton said:
Welcome to Kiev.

No, this is not a joke. I just forgot about april 1st, really :)
Try it.
Select "export vrml", just walk around in kokiri (the game really slows whith this box checked).
Import output.wrl from c:/ into 3dmax - and you'll see a lot of garbage, but zoom in - and you'll see everything. Link, kokiris, houses, crappy relief, other stuff.

As for mario head - when I put a light into the scene - his face looks facetted when rendered. Strange.
His face looks faceted until you add an edit mesh (or poly) modifier and then select all the verts and weld them together with about a 0.00001 threshold... then you can apply smooth groups and it'd look good.

also, you will (at least in my experience) have to flip the polys... they get imported the wrong way...

Link!

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
jvolel said:
Is it possible to extract the textures too?? that'd be insane :phone:
Yes they do... nemu's plug-in also has a "texture debugger" which you can use to rip the textures

but, these models aren't all that great, well they get the job done well on the n64, but they don't have all that clean of a mesh and they wouldn't be good for anything other than the games they were meant for... they're too low poly for any real use in a computer game... also the way link and goemon are done, they seperate all the parts and animate them that way... so the forearm and the upper arm are two different objects and such... and unless you have a game that animates that way, it'd be crappy...

link and the horse together are like 900+ polies... that's pretty darn low... not all that great of detail... especially when you can put models with 3000+ polies in a game..

anyways.. >.<

Anton

I like beer
Chibi Nick said:
but, these models aren't all that great, well they get the job done well on the n64, but they don't have all that clean of a mesh and they wouldn't be good for anything other than the games they were meant for...

well, they may be very useful for creating stationary *.md3 mapobjects for quake3 :)
Long ago I started to convert a kokiri forest onto a Q3 map and was stuck with models (kokiri houses).
But now I can continue the map, I think.

Anton

I like beer
Chibi Nick said:
His face looks faceted until you add an edit mesh (or poly) modifier and then select all the verts and weld them together with about a 0.00001 threshold... then you can apply smooth groups and it'd look good.

also, you will (at least in my experience) have to flip the polys... they get imported the wrong way...

Thanks for the tips, Chibi Nick :)

icepir8

If you had the vetex normals used for lighting you could subdivide the triangles to smooth out the surfaces. It would take a little math but thats all really.

Arima`

Problems...

Thanks for the information about the new geometry extracting function in the emulator. It's really helpful and it's great to see the modeling techniques of Nintendo =).

Question though.

I'd like to know how to perform a unique editing mesh group in 3dsMax and how to apply the model a smoothing group (I tried To give him a smoothing group but even if I render him, he still remains flatshaded).

At another puzzling glance, the model in the viewport appears smoothshaded but has some very strange colorings.

Hope you can help me resolve these problems.

Thanks,

Arima`

PS: Here is a screen of Link in max. See what I'm saying?

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Chibi Nick said:
Yes they do... nemu's plug-in also has a "texture debugger" which you can use to rip the textures

but, these models aren't all that great, well they get the job done well on the n64, but they don't have all that clean of a mesh and they wouldn't be good for anything other than the games they were meant for... they're too low poly for any real use in a computer game... also the way link and goemon are done, they seperate all the parts and animate them that way... so the forearm and the upper arm are two different objects and such... and unless you have a game that animates that way, it'd be crappy...

link and the horse together are like 900+ polies... that's pretty darn low... not all that great of detail... especially when you can put models with 3000+ polies in a game..

anyways.. >.<

I see what your saying,.... well they won't be usefully for todays games like the unreal engine games (though I wanted to put conker and berry and a few characters from that game into ut2k3 as well as make a smash bros mod) they might be helpfull for older engines like maybe even the hl engine games or other games that use low poly models. Btw can you check how many polies the conker model is from conkers bad fur day?

Arima`

Re: Problems...

Arima` said:
Thanks for the information about the new geometry extracting function in the emulator. It's really helpful and it's great to see the modeling techniques of Nintendo =).

Question though.

I'd like to know how to perform a unique editing mesh group in 3dsMax and how to apply the model a smoothing group (I tried To give him a smoothing group but even if I render him, he still remains flatshaded).

At another puzzling glance, the model in the viewport appears smoothshaded but has some very strange colorings.

Hope you can help me resolve these problems.

Thanks,

Arima`

PS: Here is a screen of Link in max. See what I'm saying?

I finally figured out how to do... thank you anyway :satisfied