What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

An idea to N64 games enhacement: TruForm

bleeu

sad this project seemed to die and sad I had to bring a half year old topic just to notify that. sigh

yyttu

I've browsed these forums once every now and then for years, but this was worth signing up for. Any progress?

pedrocasilva

yyttu said:
I've browsed these forums once every now and then for years, but this was worth signing up for. Any progress?
not yet, but don't get your hopes down, orkin still has the code and is working on it, even if slowly, as stated by djipi, it has some bugs applying the "new" textures, still not there with rice's plugin as of yet...

So although it has potential, instead of going for lots of betas out there he must be trying to get it "almost" right at the first try/release, keep checking if the plugin comes out, but give him the time he needs, could be next month, could be next summer... but I think it'll still come out.

OmegaDeus

What I would like to see in terms of expanding the emulation world is not this per se, but something quite similar to it. I mean they've found how to dump the mesh, figured out how to dump the texture, but all in all they put them all back during gameplay which is sort of computer and gpu intensive(depending on how it's done). What I would like to see is a program (or an assortment of programs thereof) to allow you to "browse" your games, and replace stuff at will. Then I won't need a rather large collection of textures for my games because I would have put everything into the game itself. Sure if I wrote it back to cartridge, it'd probably make the n64 take a crap on itself or run incredibly slow, but for the computer sake, if I could just "tweak" link how I see fit (hehe maybe even replace him with mario :p), put him back into the game as if he were there normally and just let the emulator run it, it'd be like everything that everyone is asking for, but longer term, and less computer hungry.

Anywho, just a thought on the matter.

DANO555666

Banned
This is amazing. This will turn the gaming world upside down. N64 is back! Bigger and better than ever! That's the dream:p

And who would've thort it all started because someone had an idea:p My dearest regards to Archnemon, for putting this out into the open, and to Orkin for making this dream a reality.

Rock on Muthf@#$ers!

Mireneye

OmegaDeus said:
What I would like to see in terms of expanding the emulation world is not this per se, but something quite similar to it. I mean they've found how to dump the mesh, figured out how to dump the texture, but all in all they put them all back during gameplay which is sort of computer and gpu intensive(depending on how it's done). What I would like to see is a program (or an assortment of programs thereof) to allow you to "browse" your games, and replace stuff at will. Then I won't need a rather large collection of textures for my games because I would have put everything into the game itself. Sure if I wrote it back to cartridge, it'd probably make the n64 take a crap on itself or run incredibly slow, but for the computer sake, if I could just "tweak" link how I see fit (hehe maybe even replace him with mario :p), put him back into the game as if he were there normally and just let the emulator run it, it'd be like everything that everyone is asking for, but longer term, and less computer hungry.

Anywho, just a thought on the matter.

The closest you will come to that is writing your own N64 game, which is indeed possible. THere's compilers out there that compiles code into N64 code which can then be emulated. However, seeing as normal N64 games were also compiled, if you write more data then the compiled amount you will overwrite something, hence you just can't input into the rom. However, the reason why the LOZ Link to the past editor works, is beacuse the limitations does not lie in the rom itself, it lies in the engine reading them, as opposed to the n64. In the end, also, it is down to the level that you can reverse engineer it. If somebody sucseeds to completely reverse engineer zelda into the code it was made with, and then write an editor for those native formats. But that is truly to much work to ask of anyone.

OmegaDeus

Well, I believe enough reverse engineering is there. If they can yank it out and make it to where we can alter it with any program, then there should be a way to just replace x mesh with y mesh and call it good. Sure you may have to compile the mesh and the textures the way the n64 requires them compiled, but I don't see how replacing one long string of bytes with another would do any harm so long as make sure that the rom has access to finding the beginning and end of that specific string all the same. I don't see that it would break anything to have a bigger or smaller mesh in there. As far as the textures go, that could be a different story, I mean if you yank out a couple of textures and don't replace them or map your new mesh differently than they did, that could cause some problems, but as long as you used the same number of textures and have them mapped so that the rom will still stick them to the mesh accordingly, things should be fine.

Anywho, just more thoughts.

pedrocasilva

but2002 said:
Will a plugin be released?

EDIT: Sorry for reviving
guys don't bump this thread for posts like this... because obviously there's no date to be released, it'll be released when the author wants to, when it's done... or never released even, of course we all hope it will but... it's up to the author not us.

AntiAlias

Wohh..wahh..Ahh!!

Sorry, I lost my balance and bumped into this thread. Orkin hasn't been online since last year. Get back here! Finish this thing off! Maybe you can grow tired of it because you get to use it whenever you want, but we can't! Release something already!

netdroid9

Bump Mapping of some sort would be awesome, but glitchy. Certain ground textures would be affected adversly to an automatic generation of a heightmap, and without a hieghtmap most Bump Mapping techniques that I've heard of will fail miserably.

The 'trumesh' technology used here seems good at first look, but does incur what appears to be a 'fattening' of the model, which appears to have (in my opinion) an adverse affect on both the definition of shadows on the model and the accuracy of the textures applied to the model (e.g. Zelda's eyes appear streached in my opinion). Never-the-less, it does look pretty good.

It'd be awesome if there was a way to implement dynamic shadows automatically, but that may be a bit wistful for practical application.