What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

An idea to N64 games enhacement: TruForm

Spacy

Just wait about 3 years, then buy a cheap PC with a standard graphcis card and use the newest N64 Emu (Project64 v2 or 1964 v1.5). Then just config it, use an adaptoid with a N64 controller.
You can remove some unneeded software from WinXP SP3 using nLite and setup some config files to always autostart the Emu. Maybe we need an application to control windows with the gamepad... or in conjunction with a multimedia center we could use a remote controll.

This makes me excited ^_^
Maybe I'll buy a N64 sometime and put a BTX PC inside it. Would be a nice idea for a future case mod.

I'm very interested in what Orkin is going to release in indefinited time :D

Plz don't mind about my english if it's too bad ;)

Mireneye

I have a big issue with this... Beacuse Orkin seems like a nice Developer and Rice has some huge advantages ATM... Could'nt they just work together!

Clements

I'm sure they prefer to work on their own projects. There is a lot of 'cross talk' going on anyway, so when one plugin emulates or adds a new feature the others will follow suit more often than not. Just look at the gold Rare logo at the beginning of CBFD, as soon as this was implented in Glide64 the other plugins all emulated this feature soon after, same with 2D filtering with 2xSAI that was first implemented in glN64() and now all plugins have this option.

Mireneye

I know what you mean. I guess its like this when you want the best of both worlds. Ive seen the dilemma before. Well well, ill hope something will turn up soon!

jdsony

Spacy said:
Just wait about 3 years, then buy a cheap PC with a standard graphcis card and use the newest N64 Emu (Project64 v2 or 1964 v1.5). Then just config it, use an adaptoid with a N64 controller.
You can remove some unneeded software from WinXP SP3 using nLite and setup some config files to always autostart the Emu. Maybe we need an application to control windows with the gamepad... or in conjunction with a multimedia center we could use a remote controll.

As I was writing my joke post I realized "Yeah, you could actually just easily do that with a small PC hooked to your tv". I'm actually working on a PC that I can use for the TV. The case is from the first Ethernet switch ever made which I painted orange with a racing stripe. Some bugs landed in my clear coat so I gotta redo that before I finish assembling it. I have an Athlon 2000+ and radeon 8500 that I will use with DVI out to the TV. The case is rack mount though so I might think of something else interesting to do with it like use it for my band or something.

loopsider

ryanraab said:
For the slider to set what levels will be possible? How much levels will there be? 16X(super rounded lol)?

If this thing works by subdividing or subsurf, I dont think 16x will be possible (8x to a simple cube can cripple high end machines...). You will have microscopic edges in your mesh, and I don't think 16x is necessary. 2x would be enough to be noticable.

Mireneye

Actually... 2 subdevisions on a 200poly mesh beacomes 1600. 1 Subdevision beacomes 400polys. An avarage character in todays games land in between 2000-3000 and 5000-7000 for the more important ones. Since this is an emulator you could get a smooth result with only one i believe. A subdiv of 16 would push up the polygons of one single 200poly mesh by a few millions.

neo64

jdsony said:
Anyone interested in manufacturing an updated N64 console that will take advantage of all these features? The system will offer full HDTV resolution support with hi-res textures, smoothed models, shader options such as cell-shading, up to 7.1 surround sound, game save anywhere, wireless controllers, and some other unique features. We will also have a very simple SDK to entice developers, possibly even Rare.
Yeah that's cool. Let's put a microATX based PC into an old N64-chassis from ebay and we have it.

loopsider

Mireneye said:
Actually... 2 subdevisions on a 200poly mesh beacomes 1600. 1 Subdevision beacomes 400polys. An avarage character in todays games land in between 2000-3000 and 5000-7000 for the more important ones. Since this is an emulator you could get a smooth result with only one i believe. A subdiv of 16 would push up the polygons of one single 200poly mesh by a few millions.

1x subdivision wouldn't do much in terms of smoothness (a cube would remain a cube). Some type of subsurf like catmull-clark (I suppose such calculations were used in the zelda screen shots) would be practical, but nonetheless have a perfect effect at 2x.

Mireneye

Yeah, if it beacomes smooth depends on if the subdevision smooths it out in any way. Like apparently this... Catmull clark does ! ?

I only know how the Meshsmooth modifier in max works in terms of smoothing.
Cheers

loopsider

Mireneye said:
Yeah, if it beacomes smooth depends on if the subdevision smooths it out in any way. Like apparently this... Catmull clark does ! ?

I only know how the Meshsmooth modifier in max works in terms of smoothing.
Cheers

Tru-form appears to be similar to Catmull-clark subdivision. As catmull-clark deforms and rounds out the mesh, it seems tru-form does the same (at the firms picture, some of the stone edge on the platform is rounded out).

I was talking about 2x subdivision, as suppose a cube. A cube, with it's six faces, would have each face divided into four. Then you would have a total of 24 faces. This of course would expand as you have the next amount of subdivision, causing each of the 24 faces to divide four times, and have 96 faces with the next step of subdivision.

6 24 96 384
With the nth sequence being: 6x(4^n-1)

Because of 6x(4^n-1), 1x subdivision would not yield any effect.

Now of course, since you can still see the geometry of the mesh (a blocky sphere), I suppose the final smoothing is generated at a pixel-level.

Last edited: