What's new

Zelda Master Quest - all discussion here please

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Try raising the self-modifying code protection method and see what happens (you might have to back up a bit.) I bet using "Protect Memory" (I think that's the highest) will solve this problem. You could also try (as a temporary fix) switching to interpreter.

Also try activating the expansion pack, just in case.

75% I think it's a self-modifying code problem, but i'm not an expert in these matters. Call it a hunch, from those types of error messages.

Also, try posing this question on the PJ64 forum.

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
nephalim said:
Try raising the self-modifying code protection method and see what happens (you might have to back up a bit.) I bet using "Protect Memory" (I think that's the highest) will solve this problem. You could also try (as a temporary fix) switching to interpreter.

Also try activating the expansion pack, just in case.

75% I think it's a self-modifying code problem, but i'm not an expert in these matters. Call it a hunch, from those types of error messages.

Also, try posing this question on the PJ64 forum.
I'm having the same problem. And, this IS the PJ64 forum. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
-ceedj

ShadowFX

Guardian
Today I'm going to try and savestate just before it happens, then I'm gonna play with some settings.. but I doubt it will fix it. :plain:

ShadowFX

Guardian
Test

It's just as I expected, none of the ROM Settings I tried will help me get past this point. I'm suspecting this Self Modifying code Method has something to do with it. If I try a setting other then Check Memory, PJ64 will simply crash. If I try Check Memory, PJ64 will give me the same error message as before.

I've finally attached a Save State. It's just before it happens (before the end credits start).

EDIT: I can't upload the Save State because it's too big.

EDIT: Get my Save State HERE. (1.55 MB)

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Oh dear. I hope ther's not a problem with the ROM. I hope you are clearing the RDRAM before testing the SMCM change by reloading from a native save?

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
Smiff said:
Oh dear. I hope ther's not a problem with the ROM. I hope you are clearing the RDRAM before testing the SMCM change by reloading from a native save?

This is a question I've had for a LONG time. When you load a native state, I assume you're talking about from the game pak (ie, press start, load file1, 2 or 3, etc)?

Does that mean that a save state loads a "snapshot" of the emulated process of what was saved? Example - my save state (this is just an example) has Check Memory Adavnce selected. If I change it to Protect Memory, reload the rom, load a native save and resotre a save state, will my save state still load the CMA setting, since that's how it was saved? Or does the emu just find the hex of the point in the game I was at, and pick up from where it was saved?

Thanks. I think I've seen all that's relavant to the game, but it'd be nice if we could figure this out. Has anyone gotten through the entire ending in OoT?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it just saves everything, including any errors in the 4MB/8MB emulated memory space, so you must reboot the ROM and then not use any old states. This is why states are dangerous - you can play an entire game never clearing out the memory, with errors accumulating. It's not that the state saving itself is flawed (although in some cases it might be). Does that make sense?

Last edited:

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
Smiff said:
it just saves everything, including any errors in the 4MB/8MB emulated memory space, so you must reboot the ROM and then not use any old states. This is why states are dangerous - you can play an entire game never clearing out the memory, with errors accumulating. It's not that the state saving itself is flawed (although in some cases it might be). Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I just tried it with Protect Memory a while ago with a native save, beat both bosses, same error (crash with Glide64 - I'm assuming it's the same crash with Jabo's as well).

Hmmmm...

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
First of all, I didn't use any Save States in Master Quest :)

My conclusion in all of this: The ROM might be a bad dumped one, or it's an emulation fault (which is appearing in most regular emulators like PJ64 and 1964).

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Re: Test

EMu-LoRd said:
It's just as I expected, none of the ROM Settings I tried will help me get past this point. I'm suspecting this Self Modifying code Method has something to do with it. If I try a setting other then Check Memory, PJ64 will simply crash. If I try Check Memory, PJ64 will give me the same error message as before.

I've finally attached a Save State. It's just before it happens (before the end credits start).

EDIT: I can't upload the Save State because it's too big.

EDIT: Get my Save State HERE. (1.55 MB)

What size is your Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest ROM?

The Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest ROM I have, which
I haven't played yet is 32MB.

RJARRRPCGP said:
What size is your Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest ROM?

The Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest ROM I have, which
I haven't played yet is 32MB.

Simple if Zelda OoT and MM is 256MBit then Zelda MQ is also 256MBit (Note: 256MBit is the same as 32MB. Just take
"32 * 8 = 256". In bytes it is 33,554,432 and in kilobytes 32,768.
In bits it is 268,435,456 and in kilobits 262,144).
So your ROM is fine.:D

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
People are required to know why
Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest is crashing near the end,
thus I'm required to know the size of the
Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest ROMs Emu-Lord and
AngelOfDeath, which have been getting game crashes.

Last edited:
I think the reason the ROM is crashing is because the ROM was recompiled to run on a gamecube emu (I mean the Zelda bonus disc). So I don't think it will run fully on a N64 emu.:cry:
I haven't played it on PJ64, but I have the ROM, if your wondering
it has the same ending as Zelda Oot nothing new.

I am not asking for a ROM but what was the name of the file you downloaded (I mean the name of the zip file), because mine has
the name "URA Zelda PAL60 N64 CZN.zip", if this is the name of the file we all have it may be a bad ROM image. I hope we all don't have the same file but who knows?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
"URA Zelda PAL60 N64 CZN.zip",

That's the name of the source ROM. We are ALL using that ROM, unless someone has a hacked one.

It's probably nothing some emulator hacking or setting adjusting can't fix. I refuse to believe from ONE account that it's a bad ROM.

The game was ported to the GCN AFTER the N64 version was finished, as you can clearly see, so unless some beta copy was leaked, it's got to work on an N64.

We need MUCH more testing. Someone needs to try it on a REAL N64 and see if the same error occurs. We need to see what happens on different emulators. We need lots of reports, and debug dumps.

Where exactly does this occur?

(NOTE: Changing the settings and then continuing from a savestate or a currently running game will do practically nothing and give you no valid results. The game needs to be started FRESH (from a native state) AFTER the settings have been changed (of which we only have one report of the problem still occuring, a very short report, so there's absolutely no reason to be dismissive yet.)

ShadowFX

Guardian
Specs

First, the Readme that came with the ROM clearly states the following:

CRAZY NATION PRESENTS
- ----------------------------------- -
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
a.k.a. URA ZELDA
- ----------------------------------- -

Date ....................... 03 May 2003
Supplier .................. CZN TEAM
Platform .................. N64
Region .................... PAL60 or NTSC???
Format .................... V64
Book ....................... Lisa-Loup et le Conteur

Second, I can't remember the name of the zip file I downloaded.

Third, the size of my ROM is exactly 256 MBits (32 MB).

I only got two error messages in the whole game. One in the Fishing Pond, and one near the ending.

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
nephalim said:
"URA Zelda PAL60 N64 CZN.zip",

That's the name of the source ROM. We are ALL using that ROM, unless someone has a hacked one.

It's probably nothing some emulator hacking or setting adjusting can't fix. I refuse to believe from ONE account that it's a bad ROM.

The game was ported to the GCN AFTER the N64 version was finished, as you can clearly see, so unless some beta copy was leaked, it's got to work on an N64.

We need MUCH more testing. Someone needs to try it on a REAL N64 and see if the same error occurs. We need to see what happens on different emulators. We need lots of reports, and debug dumps.

Where exactly does this occur?

(NOTE: Changing the settings and then continuing from a savestate or a currently running game will do practically nothing and give you no valid results. The game needs to be started FRESH (from a native state) AFTER the settings have been changed (of which we only have one report of the problem still occuring, a very short report, so there's absolutely no reason to be dismissive yet.)

I have tried this 4 times. Protect Memory, Check Memory and Cache, Change Memory and Cache, and Check memory advance. Meaning I changed the setting, reloaded the rom, loaded from the native save, beat the end of the game FOUR TIMES. The upside? I got REAL good shooting arrows without Navi. Other than that, the game simply hangs with the same error everytime. Someone else can try Default, None and Cache; I'm tired of rebooting the machine.

I don't think anyone is being dismissive, but Smiff is generally THE authority on things like this, so if he says it's a bad dump, it's probably a bad dump.

Personally at this point, I couldn't care less. The game is PERFECT otherwise, so if it peters out after I beat it, oh well. Thanks to everyone for the help - time to go enjoy the sunshine today!