What's new

Revolution Control Revealed!

Allnatural

I can't help but think that something similar to this was tried before... ...

oh yeah, now I remember!

MaxwellSmart

The designer is a genius.
Predicting what everybody will tell him to do with the new control...

Edited (offensive)
Sorry, I was very disapointed with the images.

hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Here is an idea about the Traditional Style controller shell used for ported and classic games...

Last edited:

Remote

the right one were are stuck with, but nothing that tells us what can come for the left hand.. perhaps something similar to the n64 controll etc :)

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Allnatural said:
I hate it. Now, instead of sitting comfortably and enjoying my games, I'll have to flail my arms around like an idiot.

We have to wonder how it might be holding your arm in the air for an hour or more, and if that will cause any frustration.

No kidding. Time to strengthen those anterior deltoids. :rolleyes:

Another article mentioned this.

1up.com said:
IMPRESSIONS: At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked. It wasn't perfect yet - the Revolution controller functionality had just been added recently and wasn't bug tested or polished, so every so often the view would "spaz out" for a couple seconds - but it was enough to get me excited. As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup.

From what I've read, everyone says it's surprisingly sensitive and responsive, and a flick of the wrist is enough. Arcade games have already been successful with gun props and motion sensitivity (Time Crisis, Time Police, House of the Dead), so I'm fully confident that it'll work.

Just need some 3rd party to build that controller into the body of an M4A1... you'll be drooling then. :icecream:

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Actually the more I think about it, the more the whole thing does make a kind of warped genius sense. Which is nothing if not Nintendo-esque.
After all this is the company who just shocked us all with a handheld system that practically forces voice and touch screen control, which should have been abhorrent novelty devices at best. Instead, we got innovative and classic games from it. Throw a copy of WW: Touched, Nintendogs, Polarium, Electroplankton etc on there and it just works perfectly as an interface.
The new controller practically screams "Innovation REQUIRED!" for the system to work out well. One thing you can say for Nintendo is that they know interfaces. Your humble NES pad. Your SNES pad. The VB controller (undermentioned and damn comfortable). The N64 controller (all hail!). The GameCube controller. Wavebird. The various GB's. The DS. Every single damn one of them a work of that same warped genius. When I saw the NGC controller originally, I worried. It worked. When I saw the DS I worried. A lot. It worked. Nintendo beat the odds.
So for now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. This could be a disaster. It could also be tremendous fun. For them to try it I'm fairly convinced they know it'll be the second.

Allnatural

Stalkid64 said:
One thing you can say for Nintendo is that they know interfaces. Your humble NES pad. Your SNES pad. The VB controller (undermentioned and damn comfortable). The N64 controller (all hail!). The GameCube controller. Wavebird. The various GB's. The DS. Every single damn one of them a work of that same warped genius.
You're got a point there, though I disagree a bit on the GC controller. Great analog stick, like the face buttons, but the analog triggers suck imo. And the z button...meh.

The N64 controller was woefully underappreciated. The most ergonomic pad I've ever used. Just wish the stick were more durable.

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm really skeptical about this controller too, but I was skeptical about Wind Waker and I like it okay, so I'll have to wait and see. It would be so nice if someone released some N64 controllers with better designed joysticks...

GrumblyStuff

Nin_10_Dough: Agreed. As weird as it seems, just remember what it was like seeing the N64 controller the first time. I HATED it; prefering the PlayStation pad but... it work. It still works. It looks retarded as fuck but damn does it do the job.

Yeah if it doesn't work, well, toodles Nintendo. But I seriously doubt they'd take the risk unless they weren't absolutely sure it could be done and done well.

Now, I hear there will be a regular type controller as well. Anyone got any pics or is it just a semi-standard GC controller?

Also, regarding everyone's concern about ports, uh, who cares? If developers were forced to make games around system strengths and weakness, isn't that good? Rather that getting the same game shuffled around and dummied down so that it looks and plays the same on all systems, heaven forbid they put some effort into it. The shame is that they'll probably pour their resources into the graphics for PS3 and X360 poo. Bleh.

It's a Nintendo system. Why else would I buy except to play Nintendo and whatever second party games?

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Nin_10_Dough said:
I expected to hear more positive responses over on this board.

Me too.

I thought that all the Nintendo fanboys here had finally been able to see fault in Nintendo, until I read everyone's obligatory first I hated it, now I LOVE it post.

Same old, same old.

Fact is, if Microsoft or Sony, or anyone else had put this idea accross, they'd be flamed for years to come.

Allnatural

mdtauk said:
Here is an idea about the Traditional Style controller shell used for ported and classic games...
IGN has a different image on display. Still just a mock-up by Nintendo, but you get the idea. Looks like there was some sanity after all. The "remote" will be able to dock in a shell. Said shell will allow for a more traditional control style while maintaining much of the tilt sensitivity.

This is great and all, but now the "remote" looks like an even bigger gimmick. How many developers (besides Nintendo of course) will even bother using the full functionality...and would we want them to anyway? *shrug*

Last edited:

WhiteX

i guess there will be Revo games with the "wand" being fully functional in ways that only Nintendo would realize, traditional games (multiplatform) that will require the controller cradle to work (hope it comes inside the box) and multiplatform games that will use standard controllers on PS3 and Xbox360 and the "wand" on Revo like the FPS´.

blizz

much like the use of the touch screen in the DS, Nintendo still need to provide traditional controls for most developers. I'm sure we'll see some excellent games using the new interface from Nintendo I just doubt any third party developers will use it.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
blizz said:
I just doubt any third party developers will use it.

Which is exactly why the Revo will end up with the same dismal sales figures as the GameCube.

It's games that make or break a console, not the other way around.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I don't know if it will work but the whole thing looks revolutionary. Guns and steering wheels are classics and are used by many games of this kind but controllers for unique games (ie: Fishing rods) are really usable for only a couple of games...
Maybe Nintendo made that one of the standard Revolution controllers in order to motivate the developers to use it (and if the Dev kit makes it easy to include support for it I don't find a reason for not using it when needed). ;)