What's new

Revolution Control Revealed!

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

Neat.

My first reaction was UGH, and then after I read the artcile the neat set in.

It's an awesome Idea, I like the thoughts of it if for nothing else the way gameplay can be innovated with it. FPS alone now is enough reason to pick this up.

But then I stand on the reserved side and say, how is this going to affect 3rd party development?

Nintendo is boasting the Revo to be the easiest next gen to develop for, but with a whole new control interface, what can the 3rd party expect, and Ninty needs the 3rd party too.

I love all their first party series dearly, but we need other titles out there too, and its almost gaurented now you will need the Revo and at least 1 other next gen, becase most ports wont work on those controls.

I dunno, just speculating.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I really like it.. imagine playing Zelda, and actually swinging your sword.. !

Nintendo never ceases to amaze with its innovative takes on control..

Cyberman

Hmmmm well I'm rather skeptical on it. I think there will be troubles developing for it. Mostly for giving it the right feel for a particular application. That requires trial and error, that is quite expensive. If it's wireless (Which it appears to be) then there is the issue of battery life, along with the user getting tired of supporting the controler, and more importantly it's not wired to the unit so it could disappear EASILY :D

Cyb

Allnatural

I hate it. Now, instead of sitting comfortably and enjoying my games, I'll have to flail my arms around like an idiot.

We have to wonder how it might be holding your arm in the air for an hour or more, and if that will cause any frustration.

No kidding. Time to strengthen those anterior deltoids. :rolleyes:

Definitely taking a wait-and-see approach on this one.

Toasty

Sony battery
I hope not too many games will depend on the 3D spacial sensor thingy. Call me old school, but I'm quite content with the way controllers are now.

Quvack

I love the idea, looks like it'll be a hell of a lot of fun :) I was a little skeptical upon first seeing it but after watching that video I cant wait :) time for a nice change gaming wise

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Well, I guess this counts the RSI-inflicted out for Revolution.
/Sarcasm
Thanks Nintendo.
/EndSarcasm
If anyone could get it right I'd bet on it being Nintendo but... damn. How much less appeal does potentially playing all those classic retro games have when the control is likely to be awkward at best?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Allnatural said:
I hate it. Now, instead of sitting comfortably and enjoying my games, I'll have to flail my arms around like an idiot.

We have to wonder how it might be holding your arm in the air for an hour or more, and if that will cause any frustration.

Quoted for truth. Nintendo wins the What The Fuck award for this month, or maybe even the year.

There are arcade games out there that use a similar convention, and it gets very old, very quickly. This is innovation for the sake of innovation, and I doubt that the mainstream gamer will find it to his liking.

Quvack

Stalkid64 said:
If anyone could get it right I'd bet on it being Nintendo but... damn. How much less appeal does potentially playing all those classic retro games have when the control is likely to be awkward at best?

Retro games should be ok, at least nes ones anyway, when you turn the new controller on the side it looks pretty much like a nes controller. and theres always the option of using the gamecube controller i guess :) it'll definetly be interesting to see how this kinda controller turns out for nintendo/gaming though.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I utterly hate it, thank you Nintendo for putting me off buying your console.

There is no way n64 retro games will be easy to play with that thing so there must be an alternative to it.

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
cooliscool said:

Nintendo never ceases to amaze with its innovative takes on control..

bad news cooliscool twilight princess is the last zelda game going to be made:bye3:

Mantorok

This free-hand controller can be slotted into a more conventional controller shell. So you play Revolution specific games with just the free-hand controller, and play normal games by slotting it into the shell.

LinkTheHero said:
bad news cooliscool twilight princess is the last zelda game going to be made:bye3:
Actually, Miyamoto said "This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form". Which means after Twilight Princess, the Zelda series will head in a new direction.

Last edited:
OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
The more i read about it, the more I like the looks of it and the thoughts creeping into my head about the FPS genre alone make me all giddy inside.

Lets not forget though, there are Gamecube ports on the back, so ports are still just fine, they might just require the gamecube pd to play them, and as cheap as those are now who cares?

Overall, I keep drifting back to Metroid Prime 3 and going, Finally, freelook, and complete and total control on Samus.

RTS games also might finally have a place on the console, I can't even decide what I really think about the revolution now, part of my is giddy and excited, and part of me wonders about Iwata's sanity.

Flash

Technomage
Allnatural said:

Nintendo TorturePad™ :D :D :D

P.S. 2All: Start training now - grab your TV remote and think that you conduct an orchestra :)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Too gimicky for it's own good. Whatever little interest I had in the Revolution is now gone. A remote control ffs. And Nintendo wonders why it's not doing as good as it used to....:|