What's new

RDB WIP-download improved files & help test PJ64 game compatibility please!

Iconoclast

I see my tendency to post feedback has lead to my posts being merged. Which is fine, I mean.

Alright, then. Smiff, I think the next version of the Project64 GameFAQ should include that the game will not hang or give any core issues if all cheats are disabled, or something like that. I mean, some of the cheats don't harm the emulation in any way, but others do in certain parts of the game, and it takes too long to research. That's at least 50 cheats to test, taking 5 minutes to test each one mildly. I think disabling certain GameShark cheats should be mentioned in the GameFAQ.

For Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness, the credits never locked up on me. But this doesn't matter; the RDB says it's fixed. I don't have the ROM for it, anymore, but I think it's the cheats they may have had enabled, or maybe even disabled. I can't test this ROM right now.

Well, looks like I've got nothing more to say, until I catch another RDB fix or something reasonably essential to the GameFAQ. I help with what I can.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Game Faq additions
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda Master Quest

Problem - Game crashes when escaping lon lon ranch with epona
Fix -Disable carrot cheat before jumping out of Lon Lon ranch on epona

Problem - Game crashes when climing death mountain
Fix - Disable all cheats and load from a native save before doing this for the first time, subsequent climbs won't be effected by cheats (from my testing it didn't ever happen at all with the cheats enabled....)

... the windmill crash could be cheat related as well as i've never had it wheter i played day or night.. it may have been fixed in the core as well...

Clements

Very minor consistency problem with latest RDB. Some games that have version numbers have a lowercase 'V' eg. (v1.0). They should all be uppercase (V1.0) to comply with Cowering's standard notation. As I said, this is a minor thing.

Iconoclast

There isn't much I can say about RDB corrections for other games, but I did find this fix.

In Bomberman 64, you know how the game locks up/hangs/whatevers in the intro when you start a new file during the point when you see the Bombermen running and getting blown up by lasers and fire? If you change you self-modifying code method from Change Memory and Cache to Protect Memory, that does not happen. It will not lock up, though during the point where it usually does, it will go slow for about five seconds.

As for the GameFAQ, however, I found a technical 'hack' for convinience in Jabo's Direct3D8 plugin. If you enable the Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM option, we all know what happens to the emulation speed. But if you also give yourself even MINIMAL, as in at least 2X, Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA), the game won't go slow. However, the more FSAA you have on while the framebuffer option is enabled, the less likely it is to fix framebuffer issues. In fact, even at 2X, it fails to fix the majority of them, but not all of them. When playing Banjo-Kazooie in window mode (I'm not sure about full screen), the jigsaw transition effect will work properly with the framebuffer option on, minimal (but some) FSAA, and still run at a decent speed. Same thing with the pictures in Pokemon Snap.

Now, I've got a lot of other things to do, so someone test this to confirm that this isn't just a unique trick that only works because of my video card or some PC-independent factor.

talker

Iconoclast said:
As for the GameFAQ, however, I found a technical 'hack' for convinience in Jabo's Direct3D8 plugin. If you enable the Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM option, we all know what happens to the emulation speed. But if you also give yourself even MINIMAL, as in at least 2X, Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA), the game won't go slow. However, the more FSAA you have on while the framebuffer option is enabled, the less likely it is to fix framebuffer issues. In fact, even at 2X, it fails to fix the majority of them, but not all of them. When playing Banjo-Kazooie in window mode (I'm not sure about full screen), the jigsaw transition effect will work properly with the framebuffer option on, minimal (but some) FSAA, and still run at a decent speed. Same thing with the pictures in Pokemon Snap.

Now, I've got a lot of other things to do, so someone test this to confirm that this isn't just a unique trick that only works because of my video card or some PC-independent factor.
Well, I weren't allowed to adjust the Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing, so I didn't see any changes. But as you at my system specs, I don't have the hi-end computer neither.

Iconoclast

talker said:
Well, I weren't allowed to adjust the Full-Screen Anti-Aliasing, so I didn't see any changes. But as you at my system specs, I don't have the hi-end computer neither.
Well, it worked for me, as well as other users I have helped get their emulation working on the other forum website I post in. It worked for all of us. As for you, when you say you weren't allowed to adjust the FSAA, you meant that the option was forced to the Off setting, right? That's not the doing of having a high-end video card, which I have. I have an NVidia card, and if you can't put on any Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, this trick will not work.

Clements

GoodN64 3.11 was released today, with a lot of name changes and additional dumps. There are also some games that were previously flagged as good that are now bad as well.

Goemon

Some errors I've found in Zelda with screenshots: (if anyone cares)

Lens flare shows through objects
Screenshot

The holes under the graves are visible when they shouldn't be. This issue dissappears if you move closer.
Screenshot

The "volcanic slugs" in the Fire Temple also looks transparent with the shadow showing through.
Screenshot

...and they seem to be the wrong color when the fire is put out. (or maybe my memory is wrong)
Screenshot

Tested both on my desktop computer with "Radeon 9700 ViVo" and on my laptop with "Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express" (AKA Shitty integrated graphics)

EDIT: I forgot one thing: the ending is out of sync with the music.

mudlord

Banned
Okay,
most of those problems are due to incorrect depth buffer emulation (can't be fixed in the plugin, unless the plugin is updated by Jabo). As for the slug being the wrong colour, that is most likely a combiner/blender problem.

For the sound problem, try using Jabo's DirectSound plugin with "sync game to audio" enabled, or try Azimer's 0.56 WIP1 OR WIP2.

Last edited:

Goemon

Sync game to audio does not fix it, neither does Azimer's plugin. And I think at least the lens flare problem should be mentioned in the GameFAQ, as it is quite noticeable.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
Yep, I confirmed the sound issue. Indeed, those graphics errors should be noted as they are fairly noticable and that they are real issues pertaining to the video plugin.

Well i'm not sure how much this will help you guys, after replacing the updated RDB file from the stock 1.6 RDB file ,out of my 80 games that were all listed as compatible 10 or so were listed as having problems of all kinds.

I didn't get into a whole lot of detail other then seeing alot of games turn from green to yellow with error messages. Not a real good RDB update.

Resident evil 2 only came up onscreen about 3/4 the way onscreen mostly on the left side of the screen and would not fill the whole screen area, with the new RDB it now fills the whole screen area but still has many problems in game.

It could be just on my system but it is a small improvment.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i have a gamefaq edition for Duke Nukem : Zero hour, if its not already in it.

Set D3D Clear mode to always. this prevents the flicking that occurs on the screen.

setting to per frame, causes the opening screen to black screen. so setting to always fixes both these issues.

(the game doesn't appear to render properly to the full screen.