What's new

RDB WIP-download improved files & help test PJ64 game compatibility please!

Milo-

I have useless information
Humm i dunno if this was already posted, but i can see the refractor in Megaman64 without enabling legacy pixel pipeline. im not using any special options in the video plugin. and im using the RDB defaults for Rom configuration.

My Video card is a SiS M661MX, nothing special and actually lacks pixel shaders, Video Ram is 64 MB.

Just letting you know...

Typify

Nolife
Milo- said:
Humm i dunno if this was already posted, but i can see the refractor in Megaman64 without enabling legacy pixel pipeline. im not using any special options in the video plugin. and im using the RDB defaults for Rom configuration.

My Video card is a SiS M661MX, nothing special and actually lacks pixel shaders, Video Ram is 64 MB.

Just letting you know...

How 'bout all other refractors, explosions and force fields? I myself can't see them without enabling it...

Milo-

Humm let's see:

-Explosiond: Yes
-Force Fields: Yes
-Dropped Stuff: Yes
-Other Refractors: Not tested

I just finished the first level without problems, and i already finished the game once about two weeks ago, but im not sure if i enabled the legacy pixel pipeline, I think i didnt enabled it as im not experiencing any problems.

Typify

Nolife
Hmm... Are you using Jabo's 1.6 plugin? If you are, then the only explanation I can think of is that it's your graphics card.

Milo-

Yup, im using Jabo 1.6, And i dont think it is my Video Card, it's nothing special...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Milo-/Typify
because this is a bug in the new pixel pipeline, if you have worse hardware, and the plugin chooses the older pipe, you won't see the bug. so ironically, you're better off with worse hardware in this case. until the bug is fixed (which it is currently btw), or force the legacy pipe yourself.

1.6.016 posted
http://www.pj64.net/main/download/func,select/id,7/
if anyone can check that over, see if i haven't goofed before i post news to site, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
theres no rdb in that zip

just a textfile named game_compatibility and the gamefaq

edit.. nvm

download kept timing out.... damn firefox...

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Could you guys check with me on something? This seems to work for me.

When I played Bomberman 64, I noticed that the game's intro/demo was out of synch with the music. I've found that, by changing the Counter Factor option from 2 to 1, the synch was restored.

So I right-clicked on Bomberman 64, Game Settings, changed Counter Factor to 1, and the synch is better now. I think this should go in the RDB, unless I'm missing something.

And I'm sorry; I don't know what thread this goes in. But I also have a suggestion for the Project64 GameFAQ.

I've tested using five different emulators, and fifteen different graphics plugins, and I've noticed that either Mupen64, 1964, maybe Project64 for some who don't experience the game hanging, are best for emulating Banjo-Tooie. So, the Project64 GameFAQ says Banjo-Tooie has a glitch in the jigsaw pieces when you are in Jiggywiggy's challenges. I could post a screenshot, but it's already in the GameFAQ and known about, and besides, the way the glitch looks depends highly on the graphics plugin you're using, each one with different results.

So out of the 15 plugins I tried using, I've noticed that there is a graphics plugin, Jabo's Direct3D 6 v1.5.2, that can fix the glitchiness of the puzzle pieces in Jiggywiggy's challenges. Essentially, you need to check the Self-Rendered Textures option on the ROM Settings tab of the plugin while playing the game, and the glitch is fixed. But the game is very slow, then, 5 or 6 maybe FPS on my PC.

Note that I tested this entirely with Mupen64, as when I use Project64, the game hangs at one point or another. I even get a bunch of pesterous errors sometimes the moment I start the game. Now, I feel sure that there are options on the configuration of the plugin to reduce slowdown of this fix (only occuring during Jiggywiggy's challenges), but I don't know what. I can't remember what, some option on the Advanced tab. It's difficult to test, as Mupen64 seems to have a variation with speed when using this plugin, and keeps crashing sometimes when I try to configure it. I have a savestate of Banjo ready to take Jiggywiggy's first challenge if anyone wants to finish testing.

Clements

Iconoclast said:
Could you guys check with me on something? This seems to work for me.

When I played Bomberman 64, I noticed that the game's intro/demo was out of synch with the music. I've found that, by changing the Counter Factor option from 2 to 1, the synch was restored.

So I right-clicked on Bomberman 64, Game Settings, changed Counter Factor to 1, and the synch is better now. I think this should go in the RDB, unless I'm missing something.

Confirmed, CF1 does indeed make the intro sync correctly.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok i updated the file. didn't bother upping the version for this. also fixed an error in compat list.

so if you've downloaded v16016 before monday, please download again.

Last edited:

Iconoclast

But what about the GameFAQ note for Banjo-Tooie? It already mentioned that there have been reports about Banjo-Tooie being more stable using Jabo's Direct3D 6 v1.5.2 plugin, but it doesn't mention that the plugin also is the only way (out of all 15 decent DirectX graphics plugins I've tested) to also fix the glitchy jigsaw pieces, though the game then runs at a slow FPS. Checking options for Self-Rendering textures on the ROM Settings tab will fix the glitch. The most one can do to reduce the loss of speed is to check the 'update less often' and 'low resolution updates' options to speed it up. (I'm not honestly sure if the low resolution updates option really speeds it up; it's difficult to tell. I have a save state for anyone who wants to try and judge it.)

Sorry to pester you all so much, but I have three more things to talk about the Project64 GameFAQ.

For Super Mario 64, when the GameFAQ talks about the missing dissolve effect, it says use a third-party graphics plugin. I've tested a lot of graphics plugins, and the only one that worked for me was Direct64. I think you should specify (i.e. Direct64) in the GameFAQ, so users don't have to randomly look through the plugins to see which one fixes the problem. In fact, Direct64 seems to be the only one that was compatible with my PC that would fix the problem. Also, the screenshot in the GameFAQ showing the dissolve effect properly emulated is a little wrong. Doesn't Mario look divided into large pixels? Mario should be dissolved into pixels when invisible, but not pixels that large. When configuring Direct64, check the "PC noise at resolution" option to fix this issue more than the screenshot shows.

For Zelda OOT, I would just like to say that out of the nine or so times that I played the Song of Storms in the windmill, the game only hang once. I think we could talk a little more about that to see if it's the time of day affecting it or if it just happens randomly.

While you're all thinking about that, I'm testing Donkey Kong 64.

squall_leonhart

i've never had the game hang at me whether it was night or day

also, the mario problem isn't that bad for me..

also
banjo tooie has never hung for me unless a cheat is enabled.
jig saw pieces look fine for me with copy framebuffer to rdram enabled

Iconoclast

squall_leonhart said:
i've never had the game hang at me whether it was night or day

also, the mario problem isn't that bad for me..

also
banjo tooie has never hung for me unless a cheat is enabled.
jig saw pieces look fine for me with copy framebuffer to rdram enabled
The problem with Mario is that when he's wearing the Invisibility cap or when he's teleporting, he does not 'dissolve' correctly. The dissolve effect is missing. The only way I know of is to use Direct64 and enable the option PC noise at resolution. If you're sure it doesn't look that bad to you, take a screenshot of Mario when he's invisible, and I'll show you what I mean.

I've heard other people say that! I've heard people say that Banjo-Tooie has never, ever hung on them! Lucky.

Wait! Actually, that doesn't happen to me anymore, now that I think about it. I don't think it was anything I configured, but this still happens to me. Half of the time. When I load Banjo-Tooie, and I press Start, I get this error:

SP DMA READ
SP_DRAM ADDR_REG not in RDRam space

I click OK, and I get the error message two more times. After persistently clicking OK, the game advances by ONE FRAME, and I get the same three error messages. I can still keep clicking OK, but I just can't stand it. I might have screwed up the config or something, but I don't think so. Any ideas? I don't get this issue with 1964 or Mupen64, so I'd say it's the core.

Unless a cheat is enabled? Uh, that would explain I lot. I'll look into that.

I see you guys are going to ignore my GameFAQ suggestions up there...or are you implementing them but not telling me?

Anyway, I forgot something. When you said Banjo-Tooie's Jiggywiggy's challenges load the puzzle pieces just fine? With Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM enabled? That didn't work for me; could you take a screenshot?

This is what my game looks like with Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM disabled:

Banjo-TooieUsnap0000.jpg

This is what my game looks like with Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM enabled:

Banjo-TooieUsnap0000.jpg

Not much different. In fact, yes, admit that they're the exact same image. But trust me, I tried on and off. I mean, whether it's on or off, for me, it only fixes SOME of the jigsaw pieces, just not all of them.

squall_leonhart

what kind of system do you have, if i may ask.

i've never had any problems starting a Banjo rom, (unless the recompiler settimgs were wrong)

possible bad rom?

oh wait, you can't activate CFTR while the game has loaded, you need to enable it before the code for that game has loaded.

(the same for pokemon snap, you have to enable it just after finishing the level, otherwise the images still appear as blanks)

Iconoclast

Uh, yeah, this guy's right; I really think it's a certain GameShark cheat doing this.

I have some more things I think should be added to the GameFAQ.

For Banjo-Tooie, I've looked into what GameShark cheat in particular might be causing the loss of audio when the logo comes up and the game sometimes giving those weird core errors. If you have the Infinite/Air cheat enabled while the File Select menu is loading, you will get an Executing from Non-Mapped Space error. If, just as you load the ROM, you have the Infinite/Energy/Kazooie cheat enabled, but not the Infinite/Energy/Submarine cheat enabled, the game won't even boot successfully. If you have the Infinite/Energy/Submarine cheat enabled while the File Select Menu is loading, you will get that very strange core-looking error I mentioned above. I'm not sure if these cheats are also the ones causing the game to hang like this user mentioned above. This is going to take a long time to look into, so for now, I have other games to cover.

For Banjo-Kazooie, where the GameFAQ mentions the game having synch issues with the speed limiter off, that can be solved by using zilmar's No Sound plugin. Because it disables sound, the FPS is correctly interpreted, and it is then safe to have the speed limiter off. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the Project64 core, just the audio plugin.

And just a minor, picky little thing you may or may not want to add to the GameFAQ. In the Banjo-Tooie File Select scene, the 'multiplayer' option is weird with the second, third, and fourth controllers if they are plugged in and active. I have yet to see an emulator, plugin, or even RDB setting that will fix that issue. I'm still trying to, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere.

squall_leonhart said:
what kind of system do you have, if i may ask.

i've never had any problems starting a Banjo rom, (unless the recompiler settimgs were wrong)

possible bad rom?

oh wait, you can't activate CFTR while the game has loaded, you need to enable it before the code for that game has loaded.

(the same for pokemon snap, you have to enable it just after finishing the level, otherwise the images still appear as blanks)
The most I can think of system is the collection of information like how much RAM I have, my gfx card, and all that. My user profile has that information, if that's what you meant.

Bad ROM; maybe, but I'd rather say it's something in the configuration.

squall_leonhart

you can add your specs to you sig like i did, its also in the profile options .. or possibly just options.

yup the cheat is confirmed as the culprit,

where is that jiggy game located.. i haven't played in awhile.

ok thats strangel why doesn't your specs show as your sig?....

btw,.. you can modify your limited user acount by logging into the backup admin account through safe mode :p

Last edited: