What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
im sorry, but any intel based chipset is NOT WORTH supporting as it doesn't provide full Dx spec support,

the fact several games are crashing for you proves this fact.

there is nothing wrong with the plugin in those games, it is your crappy intel graphics chip.

btw, i was a noob once 2, and i built my own first computer myself, so stop being a whiny bizatch and using that as an excuse becoz being a noob won't go down with me.

there are plenty of guides and people on the net to help you install a video card, sound card, cpu, fan, hdd, etc and whats not. so don't be a bitch about the fact that your to 'noob' to be able to install hardware.

Jabo, smiff, allnatural, clements and almost all of us here, who try to help out were all noobs once as well and we either were taught via courses or did things the old fashioned way (trial and error)

i've been through about 4 duron processors before setting my first system up properly (mostly becoz the therma grease would dry out when switching fans etc.)

anyway, as i said
the intel chip doesn't support enough of the Dx spec, and its not a matter of coding the plugin around this, its the fact that intel graphics is really fricking bad.

some dudes over ad ID games the other day were saying that Intel extreme graphics is the worst kind of graphics chip EVER, and that they should stop making them entirely as this is causing an influx of gamers asking why thier computers can't run the game.

fact is

INTEL GRAPHICS ARE CRAP
WHY IS THIS
BECOZ THEY SUPPORT THE BARE MINIMUM OF THE DX SPEC

CAN THIS BE FIXED

NO

THIS IS A HARDWARE LIMITATION AND NOT IN SOFTWARE.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can't expect support for chips that lack even some of the features that are considered basic by today's standards. Blame Intel for not designing their chips better, not the plugins for the supposed lack of compatibility.

I have to agree with Squall here. Even if the current line of Intel chips support DirectX9c, they only support a fraction of it's functions. Subsequently, the lack of more advanced functions contribute to the fact the Intel chips are hopelessly subpar in terms of emulating all the *necessary* features the likes of Jabo's Direct3D8 and Glide64 have to offer.

And finally, installing a new graphics card is by no means a difficult task.

Last edited:

Thundaar

1&OnlY ThUnDeR K1d
Squall calm your little ass down. It's not even funny how much of a jackass you were being over such a little issue. Hell you shouldn't hold the name Squall because in Final Fantasy he's one of the most reasonable and fair characters when in a discussion. You are more like that schizophrenic guy with the blonde hair who wants to fight everything he see's.

FYI. Intel Chipset or not the games that have the Framebuffer issue are the ones that slow down only when I turn on "Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM" and Pokemon Stadium works fine, 2 crashes after the opening scene. That's the only game I've had a real problem with.

So don't ride all over me like it's Christmas... I'm sure that I linked to this topic through the official PJ64 site to report bugs and issues and what I want fixed regardless if it could happen or not, my job was to just ask for certain improvements so before you ride all over me with your little lectures opposed to advice heed that I'm not returning to this topic to read what you said because I did my part already, argueing isn't something that I applied for.

P.S. Agozer sorry to leave ya out buddy but, my computer itself could maintain the games regardless of the graphics card. I realize that the Intel Chipset was a huge mistake on the part of the developers but, it's going to be a while before I can rake up enough money at my job to buy a really good card and then I'm gonna have to worry about installing it, especially because I'm dealing with the removal of the chipset and the replacement of it with a graphics card. Also at the time I'm gonna be installing the card I'm gonna be adding more RAM as well. If you have anything useful to tell me than please E-Mail me at [email protected]

-TYVM Thundaar!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Thundaar, sorry about squall_leonhart. he does not represent the PJ64 team but he's not doing anything ban worthy either :p

FYI you do not have to spend a lot of money on a graphics card that will run PJ64 very well. I recently spent £30 (inc tax and delivery) on a GF6600LE and even that is overkill for PJ64. you could pick up a 2nd hand GF5 or Radeon 9600 or something similar for maybe £15 or less and it would just fine for PJ64. If you have onboard graphics, that normally just disables itself when it sees a graphics card in the slot, or you may need to go into the bios.. but this is outside of what this forum is for sorry.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

Copy Framebuffer to Rdram causes slow downs on all graphics cards.

Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 work fine for me.

btw, i used to be squall, to the tee, even got the scar on the forehead.
i just get sick and tired of people running Below par video chips and then questioning why the emulator is either crashing, or being to slow.

its not like you are going to play quake 4 on that thing are you?... hell my ex has enough problems playing sims 2 on the intel based graphics chip on her 'rents computer.

K1rby64

Banned
:bouncy: i dont know why did you post this because pj64 is fast 100% like n64 and when you uncheck limit fps you will get 300% fast the proplem is the copatibility with games such as paper mario

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

K1rby64 said:
:bouncy: i dont know why did you post this because pj64 is fast 100% like n64 and when you uncheck limit fps you will get 300% fast the proplem is the copatibility with games such as paper mario

....its when i meet people like you that i seriously question gun laws....

Smiff

Emutalk Member
squall_leonhart, threatening violence against anyone is a good enough reason to ban you. please don't post anything like that again.

this thread is to ask if it's fast enough. that's a yes from K1rby64 thanks.

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
Any integrated VGA from any manufacturer, exept ATI or Nvidia, stinks (for emulation :p)

Of course, one of the main problems of speed it´s "copy frame buffer to RDRAM", but i don´t understand WHY this is soooo slow with every CPU, we can´t get any performance boost even with an A64 FX.

wheresthebrain

I think it depends on your computers specs; I don't have a very fast computer. I have 1.5 GhZ, 512 MB of shared RAM, an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 and it runs at a completely desirable speed for me, which is 30 FPS; it runs better than my actual N64 does.

squall_leonhart

Smiff said:
squall_leonhart, threatening violence against anyone is a good enough reason to ban you. please don't post anything like that again.

this thread is to ask if it's fast enough. that's a yes from K1rby64 thanks.
i never threanted anyone... i was just questioning gun laws.... :p even if there were none, i still wouldn't shoot him... its not nice... plus i might get blood on my clothes, and thats a cow to get out.

gandalf said:
Any integrated VGA from any manufacturer, exept ATI or Nvidia, stinks (for emulation :p)

Of course, one of the main problems of speed it´s "copy frame buffer to RDRAM", but i don´t understand WHY this is soooo slow with every CPU, we can´t get any performance boost even with an A64 FX.
It's probably the way the video plugin works. Just looking at Glide64 is a huge difference.

Poobah

thepreserver said:
It's probably the way the video plugin works. Just looking at Glide64 is a huge difference.

Isn't it slow because of the slow transfer speed between the video memory and system memory?

gandalf

Member ready to help
Poobah said:
Isn't it slow because of the slow transfer speed between the video memory and system memory?
I don´t think that.

Some users use to overclock the RAM to insane speeds with good latencies, that gives a lot of performance boost, but not with "copy frame buffer from RDRAM"

<Hoju>

I've never really had a problem with the speed of PJ64 on any game. There is some slowdown on rare occasions in some games, but never to the point where its unplayable.

K1rby64

Banned
in my suggestion project 64 dont need any update its fully playable for me i dont have any problems :bouncy: expect with paper mario :(

squall_leonhart

the reason why copy framebuffer to rdram is slow is becoz it copie the ENTIRE framebuffer, and not just the parts that are needed

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
gandalf said:
I don´t think that.

Some users use to overclock the RAM to insane speeds with good latencies, that gives a lot of performance boost, but not with "copy frame buffer from RDRAM"
It's a transfer from or to the video card if I'm not mistaken. It is simply something the PC architecture was not designed to do. I don't know what exactly the culprit is, though.