What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Now, I don't think that's entirely true. Play the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask games on the Gamecube's collection, and you will notice sound problems... and if you run the true games beside the original you might notice some slight speed differences. The intro screen for each game even warns you that there are slight emulation problems. This ~might~ be because the originating roms are in Euro 50Hz instead of Pal 60Hz. I'm NOT an expert here, I'm only pointing out that the sound on the Gamecube collection is NOT perfect, nor is the timing.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
LOL

the point is, is that the OoT version on the GCN bonus disk is Euro PAL @ 50hz, which is rendered in 60hz via the gamecube.

there is no obvious emulation faults, and the game doesn't seem oversped.. so there should be no problem with allowing the core timing on Pal 50 games to be increased in the emulator.

ok.. a better way to put this.

you have the fps limit,... disabling this speeds up the game greatly.. what im proposing is that there should be another option 'limit fps to 60' so that pal games can take advantage of that extra bit of speed.

and i know for fact that it is possible, otherwise using Rom hacks to change Master quest from E - U wouldn't have increased its fps and smoothness.

which it did.. so now... explain to me why this would not work.. as i have just pointed out there, where it does... simply by changning it so the emulator detects it as a U game... it runs it at 60fields per second.. instead of 50.
IF you want to raise the VI/s limit (which is what you're doing), then you can use Mupen.
Again, I'm not stating the games won't work, but they were not designed to work @ 60 VI/s. They were designed for 50, and 50 only (though some games might have been designed with PAL60).
Again, if it solves some problems, then go for the original NTSC version. I very much doubt there is a game that was originally designed as NTSC but only the PAL version dumped.

Hear below. Increasing the limit MAY cause some slight problems:

Now, I don't think that's entirely true. Play the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask games on the Gamecube's collection, and you will notice sound problems... and if you run the true games beside the original you might notice some slight speed differences. The intro screen for each game even warns you that there are slight emulation problems. This ~might~ be because the originating roms are in Euro 50Hz instead of Pal 60Hz. I'm NOT an expert here, I'm only pointing out that the sound on the Gamecube collection is NOT perfect, nor is the timing.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i have played the Bonus disk and i did not notice any sound problems,

the version on the GCN disk is E OoT v1.2, and i never noticed any sound jumping or skipping,.. and playing it on a large sound system its ont of the things i would notice :|

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Mine has made those sound glitches (odd pitches in the ocarina, some sounds come off with pops) though. I might have an older disc with an older Euro version... who knows. Just my observation.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I don't know then, all I know is I get slight errors in sound and timing on Majora's Mask and Ocarina of time on my Collectors Edition, and DIDN'T get those errors on the originals, or even on the Master Quest disc for GCN.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
That is really odd. I don't really know then why the Collectors disc has errors that it's Euro brother (Master Quest) doesn't. Maybe it's in the way they compressed it for the disc, or maybe I got a bad copy. Dunno.

squall_leonhart

maybe hmm

still.. it would be nice to be able to have an custom Fields per second limit,.. rather then just having it on and off.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
THAT I will deeply agree with you. Not because you could up the speed on a Euro game, but because I get so darned tired of a game speeding up on me for that ~split~ second and throwing me into an attack, or that ~quick~ slow down that flubs up something I was doing.

Maybe even adding in frame-skip that are predefined might be a nice idea. I don't expect it, but it would be great if we had something along the lines of "Auto skip rate", "skip 0", "skip 1", ect. While my computer is pretty fast, I have added some insane filters and blending options in some of my emulators at fullscreen that require at least 1x frameskip to run perfectly, like my Gameboy Advance games... I've gotten my copy of Metroid Zero Mission to look ~better~ than when I ran it through the GBA box thing that my ex had for her GCN.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

lol, i use VBA,.. but... forgotten has dropped the project,.. and spacey did to i believe... (so theres a call to any GBA coders... the VBA project is needing to be continued ... especially since spaceys builds removed opengl (which had triple buffering.... which fixed the rippling graphics up the top)

spaceys builds also have a broken core... the emulation speeds up and slows down...... the last version of forgottens builds work well.. but don't have some of the extras that spaceys have :(

but.... probably not the place to talk bout this :p

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I've not upgraded my VisualBoy Advance beyond the 1.72 version that was released a while back. It was the most stable for me and gave me the best appearance and speed. But yes, not the spot to talk about it.

Can't think of any further suggestions for the new version at the moment... had a thought, lost it.

Alan!

too cynical to speak
I have been having speed problems with PJ64 recently with games such as OOT and the Banjo series. The games have a very slight skipping, and I get occasional hangs. I would appreciate if PJ64 was a bit more speedy. :]

Specs in my profile.

Guru64

Project 64 is fast enough, but I think that the requirements for the graphics card should be lower. You need a card with pixel shader 2.0 for all the latest plugins (which means you need at least a Geforce FX or a Radeon 9800). I mean, we're emulating a 10 year old system here. A Geforce 2 should be suficient.

squall_leonhart

you would think that... anyway.. thats what the DX6 plugin is for.

anyway, its Dx8
so the minium is a Geforce 3 Ti 300 or Ti500

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Project 64 is fast enough, but I think that the requirements for the graphics card should be lower. You need a card with pixel shader 2.0 for all the latest plugins (which means you need at least a Geforce FX or a Radeon 9800). I mean, we're emulating a 10 year old system here. A Geforce 2 should be suficient.
It's a common mistake: "Geforce2 is much more powerful then N64, thus Geforce2 must be enough to emulate N64". It’s not true. Any PC video card since Voodoo2 is more powerful than N64 in terms of polygons per second. However, N64 video subsystem is not direct analog of PC 3D accelerators, it has special abilities, which require shaders to emulate correctly on PC hardware.

squall_leonhart

indeed, the graphics core on the n64 is specially made to suit the n64, which doesn't render in triangles like normal graphics cores i believe :|

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
For 1.6 release no.

r4300 on Goldeneye/PD consumes more than 50% of my CPU.

My good'n'old hardware: P4 Northwood 1.6GHz, Geforce 6800XT. Using default settings and plugins, 1024x768.

Last edited:

FistOfFury

What memory and video subsystem and vesion of Pj64, do you guys have that say it runs fine for you? I'm guessing more towards modern stuff, but I have some difficulty running most games, I think because my motherboard is old despite me having the same amount of ram and cpu as some of the people here. I have Pentium 4 1.6ghz Willamette, 512 PC133 sdram (which I think goes down to 100 because the motherboard won't detect the other 33mhz I think) and geforce fx 5600 running on AGP4x. I get like around 55-65% CPU (with higher fequent spikes in 80-95% range) for low quality games (Pokeman Stadium 2 does this) , and around 80-100% for the rest. I'm using pj64 v1.6

Last edited: