What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Thanks to all the people who have added to the thread about what they would like to see in project64. There are a lot of good suggestions. One of the comments was that they had too much of a low end machine for pj64 to run well. I am setting up a poll to see how big a problem this is among our user base. Please post to the poll with your experience with pj64 on pj64 web site, or leave a comment to this thread.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
The only real problem Ive really had with PJ64 is abundance of crashes. Its almost as if in order to play a game I have to close PJ64 and re open it. Otherwise it crashes on me.

Other than that Ive got no complaints.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Speed has never been an issue for me with PJ64,
I remember I could run games smooth on a AMD Athlon 500 MHz. (And a simple videocard like geforce 2 or voodoo2/3)

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Speed's fine. Leave the "OMG I CAN RUN SUPER MARIO ON MY PENTIUM PRO 166" to 1964...if they ever release 1.0...
But yeah, I would much rather have a more stable core.

gandalf

Member ready to help
speed it´s good

today, an low end computer (sempron 2500, 512MB ram, etc) can run perfectly PJ64, and its really cheap that computer

Crashes are the main problem for me

mustbeburt

speed is good for me, too. maybe once in a while it'll run a tad choppy, but i think that depends on how much is going on iin the game.

i don't know if this is a common problem, but the only problem i do have is PJ64 will minimize by itself every once in a while. i always use full screen, and it runs fine, but then it'll just minimize. i just have to click on it in the taskbar and continue playing, but it can be annoying.

MalonRomani

I want to see The Legend Of Zelda The Ocarina Of Time Master Quest as if it were on the GC (S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR graphic driver)because I cannot see my ammo on anything except for when its full or empty, and I want PJ64 to have a help section about Mem Packs

skyman8081

Smarter than you.
Speed isn't a problem for me. I only get crashes when exiting from OpenGL mode, not D3D. Running PJ64 1.6 with Rice's Beta 10 plugin(most likely culprit).

WhiteX

Speed was never an issue, i remember that i updated from a K6-2 to a Duron processor to be able to play pj64, i ran it on a SiS 305 vid card, so almost all of the new comps can do pj64 very well.

mustbeburt

MalonRomani said:
I want to see The Legend Of Zelda The Ocarina Of Time Master Quest as if it were on the GC (S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR graphic driver)because I cannot see my ammo on anything except for when its full or empty, and I want PJ64 to have a help section about Mem Packs

what do you mean you can't see your ammo? that's the game i'm playing right now.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
I've never had any speed issues. But the slowest computer i used with it was an Amd Thunderbird 1300MHz, 256MB ram, GF2 MX440.

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
i can use it on my old pent 3 with on board gfx it maybe a litte slow but i know it's the onboard gfx slowing it down:bouncy:

dieselbrad

Even Hardware is Pushed on some Games...

Speed has never been issue. With a decent Proc & Video you can run just just about any game. Also note that most speed issues in certain games also occur on the real hardware. Example: Perfect Dark actually pushes the limits of the Real Hardware..& slows the system down at times. Too bad MicroSoft owns the best Developer now..

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
I think you should have created a poll in this topic as well.

I have no speed problems but I do have a good system with a good graphics card for gaming.

With "Sync game to Audio" turned OFF I reach as high as 250 FPS. Killer Instinct Gold is the only game I have tried that runs slow, but it runs VERY slow so I assume it's a specific game issue.

Cheezyphil

megahuge gaming bwner
ya know, its funny. I have exactly the opposite problem, my PJ64 never crashes, but it slows down all the time...

shpladoink

I experience slowdown with some games (goldeneye, most recently), but I can usually lower the resolution a little to fix that. Currently, I don't even have a graphics card, so I would say it has done pretty well. Crashing has been more of a rare occurrence for me, but it has happened.