What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
AF and AA is outside pj's scope of function. The program requests to use and the graphics card handles the filtering. In short, get a better gfx card if you want to use full filtering, because PJ is nowhere near graphics intensitive.

gandalf

Member ready to help
i play all n64 games at 1280x960 with 8xSAA (supersampling antialias),even with 16xAA (with rivatunner) and 16xAF without performance loss
the problem it´s your video card

djsolidsnake86

gandalf said:
i play all n64 games at 1280x960 with 8xSAA (supersampling antialias),even with 16xAA (with rivatunner) and 16xAF without performance loss
the problem it´s your video card
i have an x800xt :D
when you can set the 8xsaa?

gandalf

Member ready to help
lol

use 6xAA for ATI...maybe you can enable 8xsaa with rivatunner (yes, work with ATI too)

now, maybe it´s an driver problem

DeathRain99

Doomulation said:
AF and AA is outside pj's scope of function. The program requests to use and the graphics card handles the filtering. In short, get a better gfx card if you want to use full filtering, because PJ is nowhere near graphics intensitive.

...Hold on then, I'm a bit confused... I'm going to make up some numbers.

Normal running - 120 fps, AF and AA running - 70 frames.

So say it drops me 50 frames (not real numbers, remember)

But if PJ64 was running at 130 frames regularly, it would still only drop 50 frames, right? So with 10fps enhanced speed it would run at 80 frames instead?

Maybe not? I'm confused >.<

Doomulation

Pj only outputs 50 or 60 frames per second, regardless of your gfx card's speed. However, if the 50 or 60 frames with AA and AF enabled is too much for the graphics card, then the play speed would slow down.
Like I explained, this is a typical example of how it works:

Start of emulation (when starting a game): set AA and AF in the settings to D3D knows to use this.
VI Interrupt (happens 50 or 60 times per second depending on if it's a PAL or NTSC rom): Send a frame to the graphics card. Graphics card enabled AA and AF on the frame. Pj wait for the graphics card to finish. Card finishes and pj continues emulation.

Now, if the card is too slow on doing its part of the processing, then pj will not be able to output 50 or 60 frames per second.

HybridTension

The only problem with PJ64's speed is turning on the Framebuffer copy, which isn't really all that bad, seeing as very few games NEED it to properly function. Otherwise, PJ64's speed is excellent. Full AA and AF at 1024x768 in Perfect Dark US, it's great.

Doomulation

Framebuffer copy is a PC architecture limitation, thus the incredible amount of FB settings, which are used to get around this.

DeathRain99

Doomulation said:
Pj only outputs 50 or 60 frames per second, regardless of your gfx card's speed. However, if the 50 or 60 frames with AA and AF enabled is too much for the graphics card, then the play speed would slow down.
Like I explained, this is a typical example of how it works:

Start of emulation (when starting a game): set AA and AF in the settings to D3D knows to use this.
VI Interrupt (happens 50 or 60 times per second depending on if it's a PAL or NTSC rom): Send a frame to the graphics card. Graphics card enabled AA and AF on the frame. Pj wait for the graphics card to finish. Card finishes and pj continues emulation.

Now, if the card is too slow on doing its part of the processing, then pj will not be able to output 50 or 60 frames per second.

Ah, alright, thanks for clearing that up. =)

paperboy

Like the others Crash is the first bug :( :( and I think jabo's plugin v1.6 is one of the sources of the problems

tailslol

got big slow down with some games not fully emulated(yoshi story,ki-gold,resident evil2)
and got crashes with jabo and rice beta10 graphic pluggin when i load too many games without restart pj64 1.6

Ballard

tailslol said:
got big slow down with some games not fully emulated(yoshi story,ki-gold,resident evil2)
and got crashes with jabo and rice beta10 graphic pluggin when i load too many games without restart pj64 1.6

More RAM and faster CPU will fix that.

;)

Clements

Speed of 2D games drastically improved with Jabo's D3D8 1.6. Most of the 'slow' games (or previously slow games promoted to playable in PJ64 1.6) are fullspeed on an average modern system, although some of them (Mystical Ninja) are slow on every system with Jabo's D3D8 1.6 due to a limitation in the plugin.

i figured out how to stop the crashes. cause usually it says, it has encountered an error in blah blah blah. and i click ok. i usually load a save state for the game, and then go to full screen, eliminating the pop ups.

SoulForge

The program never crashes for me. Runs perfectly fine. I'd assume that most crashes are do to plugin incompatability or issues with certain games. Mix and match usually fixes them. Then again i'm running a higher end system.

OS: XP Professional x64 CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Graphics Card: NVidia 6600 GT Memory: 1GB DDR 3200 Dual Channel Sound Card: AC '97

Cybertronic

The game works pretty well, just wish it could have more compatability with some of the Non standard games out there that did weird things with the code such as Vigalante 8 and Pokemon Snap, in short.... RDB enhancements.