What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

Clements

Crashing happens quite frequently for me in the Perfect Dark Combat Simulator with PJ64+Jabo's D3D8. At random in perhaps 1 in 10 times, it just freezes, either in the Character Selection menu or just before you start a combat simulator game (the music continues playing but nothing happens).

Toasty

Sony battery
My computer's nearly four years old and I've never had any complaints as to PJ64's speed, except in special situations - like frame-buffer emulation and such, but from what I understand, even the high-end machines have difficulty with that, at least in the way it's implemented now. So, I agree with most other people here - work on compatibility.

nevinsb

Im running on a laptop with 64mb Video ram (Radion Mobility 9000), Pentium M 1.6 ghz, 512 mb ram. For the most part speed isn't a problem, but with some games (Mostly Goldeneye) I can see how a slower computer will have a problem. There is times when the game gets a little jumpy when a lot of people are shooting at you, but it is playable.

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
Runs fine on my system, but some people I know with lower-end riggs have told me they prefer 1964 because it runs faster on their systems.

flowrent

As i understand ,now devs are focusing on LLE and that will require speed .
That's where the improvement must be .

Legend

Speed is fine. The only thing lacking is the convience-ie a "remembering plugin per rom" like 1964. It's the only and major reason why I still use 1964 and not PJ64. Can't wait for 1.7!

sigma_zerox

Shattered Soldier
I have a P4 3.20 Gzh 512 RAM 80 HD, Radeon 9000 (64-128 MbVideo) and games like Mario 64, both Zeldas and Mario Kart run perfect but games like Perfect Dark have a lot of slowdowns the frame rate per second is not that good, I would love to play Perfect Dark without suffering from nasty slowdowns all the time.

Castlevania Legacy of Darkness crashes after playing about half hour even in the newest 1.6 version.

Please for the next version of P.64 improve the speed with games like Perfect Dark, Golden Eye and please please solve the crashing issue on the Castlevania games.

rprsplitter9

Speed is fine here for the most part, but there are some slowdowns when alots going on. Like people have been saying crashes are a big problem, like the other day while playing OoT there was a slight slow down in Hyrule Field. So I started messing with some settings and I noticed that when I have it run in openGL it runs MUCH faster,solid 60 FPS no matter what. The only problem is, when I end emulation with openGL on PJ64 crashes. Thats my only issue.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok thanks people but one little.. ok *huge* point.. it's obvious many of you are using 3rd party video plugins.. we do not really want to know about slowdowns in them, OR crashes that you get while using them because much of the time it's just not our fault. and anyway, please stay on the topic which is speed/system resource usage of pj64, please.

zilmar is i presume really asking about core speed.. turn the cpu % counters on (advanced mode, system menu) and watch the R4300i.. thats his area. for example, we know that PJ64 has always been slow at running Goldeneye. is your PC fast enough to run Goldeneye with default settings? that's the kind of info we'd like to know please. and spikes in the R4300i in whatever games you play. (other times spent like in app startup or saving you might want to tell him about too). i presume he's considering spending time on optimising core functions and wants to know what it's worth (i don't exactly know whats going on because im away atm) ok thanks :)

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
On my machine, goldeneye and perfect dark run faster than lightning but on my older machines, 2ghz athlon xp it runs like a turtle at only 40vi's (or fps)- could be something wrong with that machine.

*Anubis*

I have Athlon XP2800 and P4Mobile 2.4GHz, and most games run fine with default plug ins, but as other mentioned some games such as Perfect Dark, Mission Impossible and Golden Eye have slowdowns from time to time, depending on number of enemies on the screen.

So I would say that there is some room to improve speed of PJ64, but as long as stability is not affected.

I'm not a supporter (nor I planned to be - even I like this emulator), but from what I saw and hear, most likely with time, PJ64 will require more and more resources. Hope I'm wrong.

gandalf

Member ready to help
Perfect Dark gets slow when nightvision it´s activated, well, in an FX5200 hapened, now i have an 6600GT (all with 8xSuperSampling AntiAlias) and it´s gone
Goldeneye, runs great.

huacara

No problems at all but....

Well speed nor stability are an issue for me, im running on a pentium 4 3ghz, geforce 6200, 512 ram pc, thats not a rly expensive computer, anyway, seems like pj has some issues running on intel video cards, i know that cus pj made me buy a geforce n now its working perfectly xD, but i would like to se some aiming improvement, like when u r aiming with ur bow in a zelda game, is a pain in the butt to aim correctly, i would like to see some fixes there :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That can be fixed via the input plugin. Plus if you have a gamepad with axis or an adaptoid, this will not be a problem most likely.