What's new

Is Pj64 fast enough?

zeeky

EmuTalk n00b
well on my half fried(yes half fried after a 3.75ghz suiside run at 1.45 vcore and stock air crappy ram and i dont even want to talk about the psu) p4 530 and 6600gt i still have lag in vigilante 8 secont offence(50-30 ish fps but its mainly just slow and thats after i turn the setting down and use the no sound driver)

i think some other games lag a bit but i'm not arsed enough to check XD

other than that its fine(might want to think about dual core/ht optimisation for us peps that have cool comps)

Ballard

zeeky said:
other than that its fine(might want to think about dual core/ht optimisation for us peps that have cool comps)

Duel-core processors generally don't help hardware emulators, speed-wise. This is because the sources are not written with them in mind and only thread the hardware cycles through one core. Maybe a hyperthreading single-core could make marginal difference, but clock speed and RAM are the keys to emus running at speed. Until they are able to efficiently code a emulator to thread the different CPU/APU/GPU cycles through different cores, it's unlikely they would make much difference.

I suppose it could allow you to IM and check your ebay account while you play a windowed game, as long as your OS is properly tuned for your duel-core.

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
n00by duddy said:
quoted for truth
even games signaled as slow run fairly well in any modern cpu. you can't really be blamed by those who have a 5 yo system (5yo = VERY OLD for a PC)
There is also always an issue of making improvements that require leaving older systems behind by increasing system requirements or using software and drivers that are not compatible or as effective with older systems. PJ64 runs fine on both of my systems -- one is 3 years old and one is much older -- with no crashes yet on either. Speed is slower on the older system but that is expected.

People can't be blamed for having older systems, but programmers can't be blamed for always moving forward even when the two clash.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ballard said:
Duel-core processors generally don't help hardware emulators, speed-wise. This is because the sources are not written with them in mind and only thread the hardware cycles through one core. Maybe a hyperthreading single-core could make marginal difference, but clock speed and RAM are the keys to emus running at speed. Until they are able to efficiently code a emulator to thread the different CPU/APU/GPU cycles through different cores, it's unlikely they would make much difference.

I suppose it could allow you to IM and check your ebay account while you play a windowed game, as long as your OS is properly tuned for your duel-core.
That is indeed true, but not many programs are actually truly written for multiple cores. Though many programs spawn many threads and these threads benefit from multiple processors as they can execute at the same time.
The dual core market is just beginning and we will eventually see more programs be written for dual core as well as helpful tools in aiding to write for multiple cores.

tuesday20102001

system specs:video:
mobile intel 915gm/gms,910 gml express chipset family
processor:intel pentium m processor 1.70 ghz
memory:594mb sodimm ram
audio:sigma tel c-major audio

speed isnt an issue,but some of the sound is a bit choppy on most games.some games wont play or have bad graphic issue's,resident evil2(games shows partial screen,half is cut off),mace the dark ages(cannot see main menu's or option menu),tiger woods golf (freezes),

i think most of these problems are plugin issue's.over all some game work good,ocarina of time.great job on the emu thanks.

Ballard

Does anybody know if PJ64 uses RTDSC timing? If so, it should not be used with most desktops and laptops. RTDSC can make the sound choppy, crackle and can disable built-in power management tools like "quiet and cool" in the AMD line.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
tuesday20102001 said:
system specs:video:
mobile intel 915gm/gms,910 gml express chipset family
processor:intel pentium m processor 1.70 ghz
memory:594mb sodimm ram
audio:sigma tel c-major audio

speed isnt an issue,but some of the sound is a bit choppy on most games.some games wont play or have bad graphic issue's,resident evil2(games shows partial screen,half is cut off),mace the dark ages(cannot see main menu's or option menu),tiger woods golf (freezes),

i think most of these problems are plugin issue's.over all some game work good,ocarina of time.great job on the emu thanks.

Have you enabled "sync game to audio" in the audio plugin? It must be done when the game is running

Firon

The speed is generally fine, although some games have very long delays that weren't present in the original system (such as Perfect Dark, raising counter factor helps but it's still present, runs too slow though). I also would love that the framebuffer would work decently, because it's pretty much unusable. Fixing the seemingly random crashes would also be nice, as well as the games that still don't run right/at all.

d00d

In both opposition and agreement, I think it could use more stability and/or compatibility there are some games errors, but I also don't play such a wide variety of 64 games as to crash often (in fact I almost never crash w/1.6), but even with with a good computer i've still seen a game like perfect dark or goldeneye lag in open areas where it attempts to render a large amount of geometry. Even at lower resolutions the results are the same, it just can't render some large areas at the full 50FPS, whats strange, is I do remember very early releases that happened to run on 450-500mhz machines with VOODOO VIDEO CARDS NO LESS, and now I pop smash brothers into a 733mhz with a geforce4, and upon loading major models the game just jams up to say 10-15 FPS for a few seconds killing gameplay. Very strange because way back in the day I ran the early versions of PJ64 on old computers back then, it does seem as though PJ64 has gotten slower as more has been added to it, the old versions ran on older computers, but newer versions don't seem to run quite as well even on slightly faster computers that are still outdated.
This may be a fluke observation however, theres no way to tell how a hardware combination will react to a HLE like this.

Someone else mentioned menu hangs in perfect dark, I've had the problem, but I've avoided the problem by not making savestates at the menus, instead browsing the menus fresh from the beginning of the game on each startup.

gamer64

I have a P4 3.0 GHZ,512 MB of RAM,and a Radeon 9600XT. Most games run fine but some games,like Mario Party,have some slowdown here and there. The framerate in Mario Kart 64 sometimes also slows down. I think I have at least a semi high-end system so I don't know why its slow. I tried 1964 and the games are more stable and run faster with no slowdown,but they have more graphic issues. It seems like other people run their games perfectly with a slower system than mine.

drvoke

I have a system that's extremely old and slow, but I would still prefer to see any emulator worry about stability issues before speed. Speed isn't going to be an issue for a majority of emulator users, I don't think.

nominal

Pj64 is perfect at 800x600 resolution--running at 60fps, that is, when it is limited. When i go to full screen it drops down to 45-50fps. Its very stable with all my games except a certain minigame with mario party 2 when it crashes the entire system. I really want to see better graphics. Also i want it not to drop down to 40-50 fps when i play smash bros. a certain parts of the game.

PikaGamer9

I want Project64 to have more features.

I want there to be Transfer Pak and Microphone features for the emulator without using specific adaptoids.
Can you do it please?

NINTENDO 64
GET :n64: OR GET OUT

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The Transfer Pak is already emulated in N-Rage input plugin but who knows, Jabo might implement it too.

Darkdirk

Four players too slow
I play a lot with my 3 children against each other.
There is a problem in these 4 player games with extensive button action eg.
Mario Kart or super smash brothers.
We notice that sometimes button-down or button-up events are missed.
This results in a buttons randomly not responding or seem to keep hanging.

My system has enough power: AMD 3400, ATI 9600xt.
I currently use N-rage but it also affects other input-plugins.
I use 4 pc gamepads from thrustmaster which all individually work fine.

So maybe its a slow polling problem from within project64.

Is there anyone else who has that same experience?

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
Darkdirk said:
Four players too slow

your not powerful enough i have no problem with multiplayer i use a intel pent 4 3.4ee

AlphaWhelp

There seems to be something about a certain specific graphics effect that causes PJ64 to slow down. Other then that, it runs very consistantly, and, really, I don't see why trying to cater to obsolete computers should be an issue.

And, really, I don't have much problem crashing either. The only problem I have is that certain games with certain graphic effects just run slow as hell, such as shadowgate or ogre battle 64

Pongi

Darkdirk said:
Four players too slow

Can't say I have, but you should compare your CPU's idle % when you start noticing slowdowns or unresponsiveness. I noticed I couple of games like Goldeneye would drop frames with a lot of action (go from around 60fps to 40 or mid 30's), but PJ-64 shows the CPU with around 40-60% idle though, so it's got plenty of horsepower left. My system isn't terribly fast, only a Pentium 4 2.8E, and my other system does it too (Pentium M 730 1.6Ghz, actually runs PJ-64 faster)

TSS_Killer

there are only a few things that makes project 64 a step down from perfect is the speed i wish it were more 1964 were it had the speed and a easy to use cheat system the only thing project 64 has over 1964 is it's able to render cetain games so i would love to see it run smoother on slower machines

DeathRain99

I'd say improving speed a bit would be a good idea, but it doesn't have to be a huge makeover, spend your time on other things.

If I want to play something like F-Zero with anisotropic filtering at 8x and full-scene anti-aliasing at 4x it doesn't always run full speed. It has occassional slow downs when entering a race. It's not a big deal, but being able to keep your game looking incredible and still being able to play at full speed is important to me. =P