What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

FZERO-X Hi-ReZ Pack!

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Alright this is just a beta or w/e so test it out!

BEWARE! Will run slow on old machines!

2ymwoeh.jpg

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4W33B2SF

I am fully aware of the very pixely graphics i will fix this in my next pack! =)
If you have any ideas or sujestions ill be happy to hear them!

Last edited:
OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Like lol of the stuff i redid like looked worse so i got to fix a few things... Ill be honest some of that crap i couldnt even make out!

I need to fix that start sign and rexture the top of the finish line thing. And that rotating thing w/e it is.... if anyone knows plz tell!
Find a better cloud texture!
Get some futuristic buildings for the background.
Resize some of the textures and blur them a bit.

I got to work today so ill do some of it tonight maybe... ill have a better update by friday night.

cerebus5

The textures within the pack look great but there are so few of them that I can't see anything in game really yet. But it's a very promising start. They're pretty much the sharpest textures anybody has attempted yet from what I've seen.

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Thanks! And yeah i know what you mean by not being able to tell the difference!

119pc0k.png

like this for example... ive never seen this in the game, and on top of that i cant figure out what it is... all i see is a fuzzy yellow blob. lol its realy hard to depict! I think that and trying to mask things is the hardest part! But luckly i figured out how to mask things with ease. =] I think ill just work on the level textures and when thats done ill start on the rest!

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi sonic3d,

I have downloaded your pack and messed with it a little.

First thing I noticed is you are using the files from the "png_by_rgb_a" file. This causes you to:

1. have a "Locked" layer or else it won't show in game and...
2. You need to use both _rgb and _a files for things like the clouds.

I have never used textures from that file. I only have ever used textures from the "png_all" (and "ci_by_png") files. It's is much easier to work with. Try it and let me know. ;)

I have also tried to mess with the textures themselves to reduce the grain, add Motion Blur and correct tiling issues with the "circles" on the track borders.

PS: (this game does some weird things with textures!)

Let me know if it's good:

qycs61.jpg

Datadayne

Like I said earlier, really high res textures sometimes results in graininess, I can start seeing this result in your pics.

Try turning on anti aliasing.

gitech

N64 Artist
Me or sonic3d? Graininess is super reduced in the "motion blurred circles" pic above (in game). ;)

Hey, I have continued to mess with it...just farting around...it could use some help and it's just an idea but...

check it out:

j8faja.jpg

23kw4zm.jpg

cerebus5

are you talking about the tailpipe flare? Looks good. Perhaps have it flare outwards more when it's not moving.

The reason I couldn't see the textures earlier was because it wasn't working properly with the Rice 1.3 plugin. Once I switched to 1.4 it was very clear. I like the direction you're going.

I think you should feel free to make more imaginative choices instead of trying to be too true to the look of the game (as you would with something like Zelda for instance). There is so little actual texture work in the game itself that you've pretty much got an empty palette to work with. I like the way you've completely redone the face on the countdown thing.

Also don't worry too much about making the textures too big. It runs fine on my computer at 1024 resolution and I really don't have anything special.

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Thanks guys for your imput! I will take this intoconsideration. but as i stated earlyer i will be toning down the graininess or w/e sharpness... and i will be working on a few other things...

I kinda like the wire frame thing and id like to know how you got the background like that, just for learning purposes.

And yeah thats the way ive kinda been going just w/e looksright even tho some things are a bit out of place...

ill be working on this later today.

The motion blur would be cool but like if your stoped, say like before the race you dont move and the texture would look odd...

and what did you mean by not using that pack? and the layers? thanks!

Another N00b

That red wireframe-like thing makes the game look like the virtual boy version of f-zero which was never released because the virtual boy sucked so much. ^^
And gj for making hi res textures for f-zero @sonic3d, looks cool. Guess it would make the CPU opponents happy since one has to drive slow to enjoy them. XD

gitech

N64 Artist
Thanks guys for your impute! I will take this into consideration. but as i stated earlier i will be toning down the graininess or w/e sharpness... and i will be working on a few other things...

I kinda like the wire frame thing and id like to know how you got the background like that, just for learning purposes.

And yeah thats the way Ive kinda been going just w/e looks right even tho some things are a bit out of place...

ill be working on this later today.

The motion blur would be cool but like if your stooped, say like before the race you don't move and the texture would look odd...

and what did you mean by not using that pack? and the layers? thanks!

In this text right:
("First thing I noticed is you are using the files from the "png_by_rgb_a" file. This causes you to:

1. have a "Locked" layer or else it won't show in game and...
2. You need to use both _rgb and _a files for things like the clouds.

I have never used textures from that file. I only have ever used textures from the "png_all" (and "ci_by_png") files. It's is much easier to work with. Try it and let me know.")

What I meant is...with my work on Castlevania LOD and other texture packs including the "Silence" level of F-Zero I just did yesterday is that I only use textures from the "dump" folders "ci_by_ png" and "png_all". You can use the textures from the "png_all" folder as a (better) alternative to using textures from the "png_by_rgb_a" folder. In short: Use textures from the png_all folder, not the png_by_rgb_a folder. (You are able to use transparency as opposed to having to make a alpha layer mask, and you can leave the texture "un-locked".)

The motion blur is a matter of preference and the method of thinking I use when thinking about how a texture works best is "what is the main experience of the game play?" In the case of F-Zero it's mostly going fast so the textures look best for the majority of game time. It was an experiment in this case and it does help with the sense of speed. A motion blur filter would be amazing but I don't know if it would be possible as it would have to know how "fast" your ship is going (I think).

Here is the link to my experimental version of your F-Zero pack so you can check out the textures FYI. I reduced the size of most of your textures by 1/2 as stuttering occurs because of the way MRV loads textures on the fly during game play (something I am trying to have fixed ;) ). In no way are the "wire frame" textures perfect and I would like to try to add motion blur to it to reduce "grain" pixelization in the distance and help the sense of speed up close. Notice I used the "png_all" textures for what I did in the Silence level. You could go back and change your _rgb and _a textures to _all textures by getting rid of your "_a" textures and changing the file names of the "_rgb" textures to "_all". (I think)

sonic3d's F-Zero experimental beta pack by gitech: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EHMFG5C4

PS: what does "w/e" mean?

ctatumt

Ha "w/e"= whatever :) Btw I kinda agree with gitech bout the motion blur thing. The majority of the game you're going like shit face fast so it would make sense for it. I don't know just my opinion. The rest of the pack looks really good and I also like the red wire frame look too :bouncy:

Good work guys and maybe gals? Ha! This will be fun to watch progress!

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
Oh, I found a good setting for FZX so that the screen displays properly after a race and reduces poly clipping when at a 90 degree angle to the track.

...In MRV under the "Current Game Options" tab change the "Frame Update at" to "At the 1st drawing".

1Cario1

Looks great...
I looked at my emails today and what do i see? A pm notification with spam inside of it :D But this made me look at this board again and so i got to see this project.
Hopefully it will get better then mine.
I liked the screenshots so keep doing this.
And if you want to use some of my old F-Zero X stuff do so
Feel free to use or change them.
It would be great to see a finished F-Zero x project

And if you want me to help you just write a pm to me

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Sorry its been so long ive been buisy with work and im going to college... My computer crashed about 5 times since then i lost most of the stuff lol I may work on this later tho! Ill keep ya posted! =P Id really like to get some better background buildings like some good hi-res ones but im cluless as to were i could get any, i may just render some of my own sometime...

Last edited: