What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Castlevania 64 retexture

Narasi

Hi,

A month ago I discovered that N64 games could be retextured and I wanted to try it myself. Ultimately I decided to work on one of my favorite N64 games, Castlevania 64.

Why Castlevania 64 and not Legacy of Darkness?
First of all I can't seem to get Legacy of Darkness working properly, and from what I've seen there's pretty much a completed texture pack for that game already while C64 only has 1 unfinished one.

Currently I have Forest of Silence nearly done.

CASTLEVANIA-28.png

CASTLEVANIA-29.png

CASTLEVANIA-33.png

CASTLEVANIA-32.png

CASTLEVANIA-36.png

Last edited:

Terranigma

Cool stuff! The screens are a little small, but the difference is pretty clear! I look forward to playing this with the new textures!

Wait, is this game that bad? I've heard bad things about this, but I'm not sure since I've never played it.

OP
Narasi

Narasi

Cool stuff! The screens are a little small, but the difference is pretty clear! I look forward to playing this with the new textures!

Wait, is this game that bad? I've heard bad things about this, but I'm not sure since I've never played it.

Nah, it's not bad at all. It's just that Legacy of Darkness pretty much has everything this game has + 2 new characters and storylines. So people usually choose that game over this one.

And yes, the screens got shrunk down by Photobucket, I'll separate them next time in hopes it keeps them bigger.

cerebus5

The game itself was really only let down by the blurry graphics - which a texture pack should fix up nicely :D

Terranigma

And yes, the screens got shrunk down by Photobucket, I'll separate them next time in hopes it keeps them bigger.

The reason I said the screens are too small is because it's hard to judge how good your new textures look. I mean, I can see they're more detailed, but that's about it. I love the way the rocks look even from the small screens.

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
Hey, this'll be worth something in the long run!

But I don't think the screens are TOO small, however, from my hindsight, it looks like you may see shaders in your future. because the bridge retext looks a little bright to me. Great nonetheless.

OP
Narasi

Narasi

Hey, this'll be worth something in the long run!

But I don't think the screens are TOO small, however, from my hindsight, it looks like you may see shaders in your future. because the bridge retext looks a little bright to me. Great nonetheless.

Thanks. I'll drop brightness and contrast a bit.

OP
Narasi

Narasi

Before I continue I'm going to do some further research into the plugins because no version I have seems to be properly compatible with the entire game :plain:

As a quick update, I replaced the huge yet crappy painting in the dining room (with the vampire) with the following.
CASTLEVANIA-52.png

I've done others too but I'm still wrestling with the frames (also I've made sure all are appropriate for the time period).

microdev

I'm trying to work a painting of Bosch into Charles Vincent's room but the textures in that room are currently providing framerate issues.

Ah, is your problem that the framerate goes down at certain places as soon as you use hires textures there and remains constant without hires textures?

OP
Narasi

Narasi

Ah, is your problem that the framerate goes down at certain places as soon as you use hires textures there and remains constant without hires textures?

Yes, it's especially noticeable in Forest of Silence if I up the resolution on the dead bodies. In Villa it's not really a problem but I really wanted to have the paintings as detailed as possible.

microdev

I see. That's a bug of the Rice plugin concerning the texture management. I fixed that some time ago as gitech had the same problem with Castlevania LOD. I posted the fix in the Aristotle thread in the plugin section.

EDIT: Found it. This version should solve your problem.

Last edited:
OP
Narasi

Narasi

This is how the small room before the library and after the dining room currently looks. I am planning to fully redo the walls as well, currently it's just the original one with a few touches.

CASTLEVANIA-67.jpg

CASTLEVANIA-68.jpg

Also since the game seems to be ahead of it's time in terms of technology (like the anachronistic motorbikes) I'm trying to give certain aspects a bit more of a steampunk look. I'm working on the HUD to reflect this.

Last edited:
OP
Narasi

Narasi

Progress has been slowing down since I've been too busy to really work on this.

That being said, here's the refurnished Charlie Vincent room
CASTLEVANIA-108.jpg

CASTLEVANIA-107.jpg

On the to do list is the border beneath the wallpaper, and finding a more comfortable texture for the bed/chairs.

The Blood meter replaces the words that pop up on Status. Instead of having "Vamp" or "Poison" appear it'll just change colors according to the character's blood corruption. Now while I like the concept (though the graphics need to be improved) the problem I figured is that some players might find the concept a bit hard to notice, so I'm still working on that one.

Also I've been fiddling with Rosa.
rosa.jpg

I just noticed now the fleur-de-lis needs to be moved just a tad and probably would benefit hanging from a necklace.
About the hair: I've always found Rosa's blonde hair to be really wrong for some reason. It just didn't seem to work on her. So I'm considering keeping her hair the way it is now. Also I've made her overall dress a bit more fitting of being a bride of Dracula (because really, why would she be there otherwise?)

Any input is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
Narasi

Narasi

I'm experimenting with a new look for the werewolf. I thought he'd look creepier if he resembled a human a bit more (also he's a bit more buffed up). The muscles look better in motion though, since the guy's so hyper-active he doesn't stop moving for a single second.
thewolfman.jpg

Everything looks good but the hair patterns on Rosa still doesn't look right. Looks like wood painted black.

Thanks, I've drawn the new hair by hand. I hope it looks slightly better.
Rosablur.jpg