What's new

0.8.3 removed

WorZel

I have only been using 1964 for a couple of weeks. I started out on UltraHLE a couple of years ago and then moved on to NEMU recently. I then had a shot at Project64 (which my system failed to initialise) before trying 1964.
IMO, 1964 v0.7.3 is hands down the best emulator there is, no doubt. Runs sweet on my Dell Inspiron 8100 1GHz + Radeon7500 Mobile, plays all my favourite games, no complaints at all. I feel priviledged to even be able to use 0.7.3, so if 0.8.3 had some probs who's complaining? And the beauty of it is, I know that Schibo and Co. are still beavering away, it's great to see! Thanks guys for all your great work.

crhylove

Banned
amen on that!

since i "discovered" 1964, my emu habit has been fixed, and i've upgraded equipment SOLELY to play more n64 games on my machine. since then i've aquired every rom and downloaded every emu and plugin for testing. no doubt about it. 1964 is the best/fastest. though some games are better in pj, overall 1964 has em beat, and will probably eventually be the first to play many currently unemulated games.

i'm still "testing" .8.3 just on the off chance that this is already the case. :)

rhy

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Well, if you held out from XP this long, I don't see why you shouldn't get 2K. XP isn't much different from that, except it has the resource hogging GUI (disabling it is possible, but then it looks no different than 2K really), and 2K should run games faster than XP due to it's lower requirements anyway. Also, no silly authentication problems if you actually dare to modify your machine ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
EddyB43 said:
Well, if you held out from XP this long, I don't see why you shouldn't get 2K. XP isn't much different from that, except it has the resource hogging GUI (disabling it is possible, but then it looks no different than 2K really), and 2K should run games faster than XP due to it's lower requirements anyway. Also, no silly authentication problems if you actually dare to modify your machine ;)
W2k wasn't really designed for games, and some games have problems with 2k I think. But other than that--I think there's no real diffrence between the two OS, except that XP is very buggy and annoying for most advanced sers.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Buggy:
Example:

1) Try to run the configure network guide twice. It will fail the second time and will mess upp all settings.

2) XP can access all the computers in the network, but the others can't access the one with XP. It wants password or says that you don't have the authority to access it, even though neither of them are true.

Annoying, that is.

And "not for advanced":
Check the search for example. You may select stuff of which to search for, like all files, music files, etc... unless you specify for "advanced mode". It does not have all the advanced features the search in 98 had, either. And it takes long to load, even on a fast computer.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Question

I work at Zophar's Domain and put up 0.8.3/0.8.3a/0.8.3c. Should I remove these? Or just put 0.7.2/0.7.3 as an option?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i'm going to sound like a right dick here, but you can't do a recall on the Net, it doesn't work. I suggest simply removing from homepage (the most important and only "official" place after all) and issuing a statement saying (if you haven't already) "version [x] removed because of problem [y], we aren't happy with the quality of that release. Suggest users revert to previous version [z]. We will not be offering any support for version [x]" and leave it at that.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
btw, i'm happy to remove from my site, i just think that it's not helpful as it just sends people to "dodgier" sites.. you might as well keep the file available so people can see for themselves what's wrong if they're really curious.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
ahhh you smart son of a bi*** how could you realease something like that and notice the problems with it then wisely remove it and fix all the bugs, instead of just leaving it and let people deal with it till the next realease you ba***** nah am just pulling ya leg smart move ;-)

Flash

Technomage
So, why Jabo's D3D 1.4 still not removed ? It have nasty bug: on some system configuration it causes computer (not only emu) to hang, even famous three button combo doesn't help, only reset.
And all depends on martian weather... :)

0.8.3 works well for me, with disabled rom browser. Many games works much better.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
schibo, don't take it hard ok, what you've done shows that you care about it, which is more important than a particular release.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Any flaming I see will be removed. People should respect the author's decision as the best for everybody's intrests.

Windows XP has much better memory management which allows it to work so much better, not to mention it boots up faster than any other OS available. If I could get my old scanner to work on it I'd go back to it. But don't download an ISO. The un-patched version is extremely hackable, and if you update with Windows Update, MS has just implemented a function that will disable known illegal hacks.

Eddy, FFVIII is an awesome game, I should bitchslap you for making such a comment :p Of course its a very complicated game and those with simple minds just don't understand ;) lol.

EDIT: I was just teasing btw eddy.

Duncan

N64 Addict
Not a bad suggestion, and true it might even have some advantages, but it was Schibo's decision and its human nature to want to correct something, and feel bad about something like this. By some of the posts out here, it looks like i wasnt the only one who didnt have alot of probs with it, but the ones who did were mostly 98 users :(

Just means the next version will be a charm :)

crhylove

Banned
thoughts...

yeah, i gotta agree with smiff here, removing a release will not eliminate it online. and it will allow people to d/l it with improper documentation. (i.e. DON'T USE THIS, USE 7.3) or some such. but this doesn't mean that i don't still FULLY have my face planted in the rice/schibo collective posterior. THEY RULE. so this IS'NT A FLAME! just a bit of logical deduction, which you can ignore completely if you want, hell i ignore our enitire government at the moment, cause i get physically ill if i do anything else.

i'm gonna try out xp. i have a friend mailin' me the disk soon. at that point i'm going to hack into the MS server and shut the whole thing down, just out of spite. ah, maybe not, not worth the effort....

oh, and my advice on win me..... DON'T PUT IT ANY WHERE NEAR YOUR CDROM DRIVE!!!

still :inlove: with :1964:
rhy