What's new

XBox vs. PS2 vs. Gamecube

apexad

Now for PS2 (don't worry, as you can see, it is shorter than my Gamecube bashing).

PS2 has onlie support, it has exclusives that rock all (GTA3 is the best game I have playe d in a long long time). It plays DVDs, and it plays old PSX games. It's wireless controllers though not made by Sony fit smoothly into your hands, and have rumble support with an on/off switch. Like PSX, it's library of games overcasts xbox and gc's, making a wide selection of ps2 games easy to come by, even if they only cost $20 a peice and are not the best graphically pleasing games you've ever seen in a market where that is becoming more and more important.

Basically, I liked N64 alot, but I was 14 the last time I played it (the real system anyway, the pc version of it are a bit different of a story), and hated PSX for beating it.
But, I must say, Sony knows what they are doing, and with official support for Linux and a 40GB hard drive, and unofficial mod chips for hacks of games and stuff, I want a PS2! (Luckily right now my roomate in college has one, and I have an xbox, the best combination)

So in the end, that was not bashing at all. PS2 is a great system, true competition for XBox.

apexad

Now, for XBox. Yes I own it, however it has flaws.

1. M$, yuck I know, I bought a Mac to get away from windows and ending up getting vpc to get windows back, not to mention ms office.

2. Don't remember where I read this, but I heard M$ designed xbox to get hacked so that they could run tests and stuff to imporve palladium they're total domination hardware/software coming in the future.

3. no out of the box dvd support (modchip or dvd kit needed) Although they did for awhile give you the $30 back for the dvd kit.

4. blah blah blah, XBox has better graphics then PS2, and it's own set of exlucive games (Halo, DOA3 & X).

Go with XBox and PS2,that is my 2 cents.

(sorry it took 3 posts)

Macca

you have a few good points there but ijust wanna ask a simple question.

does everyone think that the average consumer will be using the xbox to its full potential. I'm talking bout running multiple emulators, using linux and playing divx. it is a great thing to have but realistically how many people are going to be doing all of this? i'm guessing only a very small percentage, i mean you ould od similar stuff on other consoles (emus for psx/ divx for dc) but only a minority of people ever use it. this is total curiosity but i dont think these abilities will be high up on the list of reasons why average joes buy an xbox.

pretty much all i'm saying is that these features are sweet as, but i dont think they will create much movement in sales. opinions please

blizz

apexad said:
(sorry it took 3 posts)

lol, god damm, you're an opinionated little sod aren't you?

1. I will not read long posts, just skim them
2. Rare is overrated by everyone, Insomniac Games are better imo (they did Ratchet and Clank and that shows how far they've improved since Spyro), maybe Microsoft can do a Bungie on them and get them to become more consistent with release dates and games, but god knows Rare shows some of the the worst traits of the UK game industry at times (that is a rant for another time)
3. You do realise that SEGA lost a hell of a lot of money to go third party (something Nintendo has yet to do)
4. saying your “three cents” doesn’t give license to post three posts
5. You're pissed you have to buy a GC and a GBA, yet no games actually use it as a necessity, erm what?

Last edited:

blizz

Macca said:
you have a few good points there but ijust wanna ask a simple question.

does everyone think that the average consumer will be using the xbox to its full potential. I'm talking bout running multiple emulators, using linux and playing divx. it is a great thing to have but realistically how many people are going to be doing all of this? i'm guessing only a very small percentage, i mean you ould od similar stuff on other consoles (emus for psx/ divx for dc) but only a minority of people ever use it. this is total curiosity but i dont think these abilities will be high up on the list of reasons why average joes buy an xbox.

pretty much all i'm saying is that these features are sweet as, but i dont think they will create much movement in sales. opinions please

yeah they're pretty much a minority group,

just as an aside with three decent consoles (none of them stands heads and shoulders above another imo) it's a pretty good time to be a hardcore gamer

Macca

apexad said:
Finally, most people who bought Gamecube at launch are Nintendo fan boys.
and did you know 87% of all statistics have no factual basis?

apexad said:
So what, halo is not on ps2 or gc. gta3 is not on xbox or gc.
I've played gta3 on ps2 and pc and i can tell you which version definately stands out. (its the PC if you didn't get my notion). along with the fact that halo and gta:vc are due for pc i have no need to buy an xbox/ps2 for those 3 games

oh and the whole gba/wavebird bashing...thats just silly. i mean no rumble is better than no wireless (if not then the wavebird would not but at all successful) and gba being a necessity? so far the only thing it does is enhance games (ie little secrets and fun tidbits)

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Macca said:
and did you know 87% of all statistics have no factual basis?

of course he did 79% of people know that! ^_^

I stand by my X-Box lubbin, although the PC still owns it^_^

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
X-box sucks, 'nuff said. M$ didn't seem to realize they made it bad. It's powerful, but it's harder to make games for, it actually *lags* sometimes, too...

And more too it, as well.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
I have never seen it lag, the games are fun and some are quite addictive.

Of course some people will instantly dismiss it because its microsoft:p

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
blizz said:
ok where were you when the saturn came out?

Who the fuck bought a saturn? :happy:

I know I've heard of panzer dragoon before, never played it til now though. Xbox makes that game look sweet. Maybe segas revenge on nintendo is to only release their better games for xbox?

Last edited:

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
well that's your opinion, Doom...

Well, in normal cases the games don't touch the harddrive except when the games are saving... so if you play games from a real game disc, the hd should not make it lag...

and really, lag depends on the game...

apexad

PCs don't factor in to the eqaution. While it is true that a PC dominates, it is simply cost. I doubt Halo will require much more then a P3 -733Mhz PC with a Direct X Compatible video card, which currently is probably less then XBox, but typically, most PC's people buy cost alot more then a console, like XBox or PS2. Plus, there is an XBox emultor in progress that can Load Halo (no graphic display, it just understands the first few kernel calls).

And, while it is true that the majority of people will not mod there xboxes, because after all one of the huge selling points of xbox is xbox live, and that of course bans you if you have a modchip (of course there is always an off switch, something I have externally added to my matrix/xodus)

However, the pure fact that in can be modified will sell consoles to a marker not tapped by gamecube. Microsoft has other tricks up there sleeves to appeal to the same audiences game cube does, as well. At any rate, I am sure that everyone reading this most likely knows that the xbox can emulate all that stuff, and would have it do it if they got one.

Also, as far as developers go, anyone heard of Digital Anvil? Brute Force looks fucking awesome.

Finally, like vampireuk said, alot of people hate XBox just because it is made by M$. Something I can understand, but sometimes evil companies no what works. After all, the Origial PSX was a joint project with Nintendo, called SNES CD. When it was cancelled, the evil sony made their own system. We all know what happened with that.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I don't own any consoles except an snes, nes, and a gba, but xbox has definitely cought my attention, enough so that I plan on getting one. I've got both the perfect 5.1 system and hdtv for it, and some of the games are very decent looking. I mainly have other uses intended though, namely when modded it makes a better progressive dvd player than some of the $600+ models out there.

apexad said:

And, while it is true that the majority of people will not mod there xboxes, because after all one of the huge selling points of xbox is xbox live, and that of course bans you if you have a modchip (of course there is always an off switch, something I have externally added to my matrix/xodus)

On the contrary I have little to no interest in xbox live :cool:

Vchat20

AlphaWolf said:

Ah. but that isnt the same for every1 else here. Most of us (including me) would have a major interest in XBOX live. only prob is it needs a broadband connection, or at least some kind of network with internet access.

apexad

AlphaWolf said:
I don't own any consoles except an snes, nes, and a gba, but xbox has definitely cought my attention, enough so that I plan on getting one. I've got both the perfect 5.1 system and hdtv for it, and some of the games are very decent looking. I mainly have other uses intended though, namely when modded it makes a better progressive dvd player than some of the $600+ models out there.

With a modded on xbox, I have little interest in it as well (though as I said, Installed mod chip switches). However, the fact remains that XBox Live appeals more to the average Joe then PS2's network adapter. Whatever the reason is, it is reason none the less.

blizz

if you look at X-Box live figures though, it's still small, it's penetration of the X-Box market is high because the mass amount of people who bought the X-Box are hardcore/first adopters, thus it is relatively easy to see X-Box live achieving a large adoption rate early on

what is more interesting is it's future, security, both of the servers and of the users, which games companies utilise it in the future, I think the experiance Microsoft gains from X-Box live will be invaluable for the successor to the X-Box (which is coming sooner rather than later according to some reports)

Joe Average isn't the X-Box market imo, we're talking kids who buy Edge magazine here, we're not talking dad buying the console for his kids to play harry potter while he can play Vice City

the effective way to sell a console is word of mouth and the PS2 does that (I'd never have thought of Ace Combat if my friend hadn't recommended it to me), Metroid Prime has done that (but is still seen as the one game on the Gamecube)

apexad

blizz said:

the effective way to sell a console is word of mouth and the PS2 does that (I'd never have thought of Ace Combat if my friend hadn't recommended it to me), Metroid Prime has done that (but is still seen as the one game on the Gamecube)

Bingo! Sony has this mastered, with Nintendo coming in a solid second, but by the same token, I bet that many many people who get XBox, say win XP roxors, XBox sounds like XP, so it must roxor too. The average joe who does not understand all this monopoly stuff, cuz windows roxors. think about it.

blizz

apexad said:
Bingo! Sony has this mastered, with Nintendo coming in a solid second, but by the same token, I bet that many many people who get XBox, say win XP roxors, XBox sounds like XP, so it must roxor too. The average joe who does not understand all this monopoly stuff, cuz windows roxors. think about it.

the average person talks about how crap and unreliable computers are ingeneral