What's new

XBox vs. PS2 vs. Gamecube

sk8bloke22

roll for life
pc is the best console eva. u can play snes, genesis, gameboy, gamegear, gba, psx, sega mastersystem, n64 and pc games.

RPGlover12

sk8bloke22 said:
pc is the best console eva. u can play snes, genesis, gameboy, gamegear, gba, psx, sega mastersystem, n64 and pc games.
man u dont get it
he meant

console not
pc
get it
so we are talking about consoles
still snes is the best
:)

nycbeatatl

Lives in ATL, longs for NYC.
I would go with the Gamecube. Sure, I completely agree that the PS2 has great games. But no offense, the graphics just aren't anything compared to GC and Xbox. The jaggies would drive me mad after a while. As for the Xbox, I love the beautiful visuals, but the darn system has nothing for gameplay. Don't even talk about Halo, it's very annoying when it's mentioned OVER and OVER. You can give me the best game in the world and have it be perfect, but in the end, it's still just ONE game. I need a variety of fun games. The Gamecube has great visuals, (if you don't believe me, check out the water effects in Mario Sunshine), and it has great games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, and more. That's just my 50 cents, but the
PS2=Gameplay
Xbox=Graphics
Gamecube=Great mix of both

UltraThing

I have a Gamecube and an Xbox both. Although i just got the XBox and have had the Gamecube since launch, I can say that the Gamecube is the favorite OVERALL> however .... even though I think the Gamecube has the better catalog there are some great exclusives on Xbox or I wouldn't have bothered. I am absolutely LOVING Sega GT2002 .... the GC hasn't had much to offer in the racing genre, while GT2002 is the tits boys! All by itself it makes me happy I bought the Xbox, but I'm also looking forward to Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, MechAssault and Deathrow. And Project Gotham Racing comes out some time in 03 to fire me back up after I destroy GT2002.

On the other hand, I tried GranTurismo3 on a friend's PS2 on New Year's Eve ... compared to GT2002, that game is a huge yawn. Jaggy, boring and unrealistic.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I haven't owned any consoles since snes, and I am planning on getting an xbox.

The games are good, the xbox's hardware is capable of a lot more than gc and ps2, (just have a look at splinter cell, and the fact that ID will not release doom3 for any console except the xbox) but that aside, I like what you can do with it.

You don't even have to futs with DVDs and whatnot, because you can put all of your games on the hard drive, (big plus for me because I hate discs of any kind, in fact I don't even use any for my PCs), and the price alone is worth its DVD functions twofold. The thing practicaly gives the same visual quality as those $600 progressive DVD players. Not only that but it also works as a good mp3/divx player, and it has optical toslink (spdif if you mod it or buy an adapter) out for dolby digital 5.1 in everything as well.

To me the fact that it plays games is just an added bonus. No other console offers anything else I mentioned. Especialy gamecube, with no DVD support.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/general/xboxdvd.htm
and yes, xbox does progressive DVD once you mod it :D

Last edited:
based on games alone, of the current consoles the ps2 wins hands down for me.. in the areas that matter to me
  • Driving
  • Kill, Steal and become a Crime Lord
  • Footie
  • Other sports sim

the ps2 has it all, from grand tourismo.. gta:vc/getaway (kickass game), iss, and it even has virtua tennis 2! so i dont have to load my dc as much as i used to (with limited televisions there was a lot fo cable swapping)

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
my xbox dosent make a good DVD player from my experience.
there are alot of dvd's that my xbox wont load at all (it wont even load my special edition lord of the rings dvd :geek: ).
but then again i bought mine at launch and im sure the re'versions fix those problems.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Xbox (the system itself) is good/great, ps2 is good/ok, and game cube is good/ok..

GAMECUBE :

- Don't like the fact that gamecube isn't going to have HD support, (well doesn't seem like its going to have that supported).

- Don't like the fact that the broadband adapter and the narrow band adapter are separate.

- Love the wireless controller called wave bird, :flowers: :inlove: .

- Some games are great/good most are ok.

- Dislike the (cd/disk whatever u want to call it) format... I understand that they made the disk smaller to ward of piracy but I mean... meh... then again there could always be multi disk games i.e. resident evil 0.

- Nearly non-existent online gameplay strategy.

- Good/great first party games (would u expect anything less from one of the best developers in the world? I THINK NOT :p )

XBOX

- Strong system can handle damn near anything you throw at it so of course I like that. Just don't like the way M$ does business. Monopolies are baaaad maaan

- Good/great online gameplay plan, 50 dollars a year! What are they nuts? And the service is free now I hear (think about that when you own more then one online game that requires a fee to pay online ;) ).

- At one point had great emulation support (well if you have an older xbox :pirate: :devil: ).

- More then few of the games kind of sucked arse but it had a few good/great ones (and some interesting upcoming games *cough* fable *cough* seduki (sp?) *cough* whatever else am missing).

- Can't go wrong with HD support.. Hell what other system had that... though I question whether or not it was a good idea having it built in... Should have been included as an optional add on

- Didn't like the controller at first till I saw the mini version of it, now it’s not bad not bad at all.

- DVD playback support hell I think it supports all video file types no?

- Sometimes gets the best version of multiplatform games, in terms of graphics, added content...ECT

- Haven’t played any first party games...

PS2

- Great idea having backwards compatibility loved that

- Love the controller (best made imo aside from the n64 controller)

- Ok online gaming plan, love the fact that the broadband adapter supports narrow and broadband

- DVD/music cd playback support ^_^ :happy:

- Future support for HD? Good idea having it as an add-on instead of it being built in... Am assuming you can buy HD's with more space like your comp?

- Usually gets their version of a game before the other consoles (that’s good and bad at the same time you should know why)

- Good/ok first party games

- ZOE 2! :happy: Devil may cry 2 :happy: VF4 and tekken 4 ^_^ final fantasy whatever ^_^ and many more good/great games :holiday:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
For anyone who hasnt tried a x-box just play Halo *drool*

I normally hate FPS on a console but I lub Halo:happy:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I think being loyal to one console is now stupid, I used to be loyal to nintendo, but now i got a ps2, I love it as well, both the ps2 and gamecube are good consoles in my opinion, I might buy an xbox as well, I want em all :D

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sytaylor said:
[*]Kill, Steal and become a Crime Lord

Especialy the kill, steal, and become a crime lord part :)

B*A*G*G said:
my xbox dosent make a good DVD player from my experience.
there are alot of dvd's that my xbox wont load at all (it wont even load my special edition lord of the rings dvd :geek: ).
but then again i bought mine at launch and im sure the re'versions fix those problems.

Actualy, I've been reading on usenet that there are a disproportionately large number of DVD player models besides the xbox that don't work with disc 1 of the LOTR extended edition set. The word is that you need to use dvd x-copy to create a new, more compatible disc that works on every dvd player.

Have a look: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...f&q=lotr+dvd+compatibility&btnG=Google+Search

And the MPAA still says theres no legitimate use for copying DVDs... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
At the moment, as much as I hate M$, the X-Box and GC are both level-pegging in second place, behind PS2, IMO. I've got nothing against GC, it's a great console, but at the moment there is nothing on there that makes me personally want one.

For now, Madden 2003 on PS2 is about the only game I'll be playing. :happy:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
UltraThing said:
FWIW, my Xbox, manufactured 10-18-02, plays the LOTR Fellowship extended edition just fine.

Either that or the specific disc you have is one of the good ones.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
UltraThing said:
I'm also looking forward to Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, MechAssault and Deathrow.

No shitting about panzer dragoon, I just played that game for the first time, one of the better games I've seen in years.

blizz

AlphaWolf said:
No shitting about panzer dragoon, I just played that game for the first time, one of the better games I've seen in years.

ok where were you when the saturn came out?

apexad

First off, let me talk about Gamecube.

The only good games it has is Nintendo's exclusive titles. I personally got sick of Mario back in NES days, which is why I never owned an SNES. Never played Metroid, and seeing it on Gamecube sure as hell does not prompt me to go play a shittier version on snes.
The other thing about Gamecube that ticks me off is the connectivity with GBA. Nintendo dominates the Portable market, that is a given. To use that to promote their console, is just wrong in my opinion. You can talk all day about MS monopolies, but MS is still losing money on XBox, and if Nintendo is losing money on GC they are making it up on the GC's they'll be selling as they make GBA a needed addon for it.
Another for all you Gamecube users out there is 1 simple fact. Microsoft bought Rare! They aren't making Gamecube games anymore. Hope you like Starfox Adventures!
The next thing about Gamecube is the whole anti-piracy thing. About all you can do is switch it from JAP to USA. I don't care if piracy makes companies lose money, the fact of the matter is piracy sells consoles. it is as simple as that.
The other thing, Gamecube with obvious differences, is much like a Mac, in that it uses an ATi chipset (very common in macs) and a PowerPC Processor. If they would have chose to make it a DVD drive, it may have had a chance to compare to the linux running abilitles of both xbox and ps2. (LinuxPPC does exist).
The other thing people love to xream out GBA is the wavebird. No rumble support because the battery pack is in the way (or because it uses batteries up to quick, I forgot which). I have a solution, it is called an on/off switch.
No back-lit GBA and now a non-rumble controller in a world where almost every game relased has rumble support?
Nintendo is getting so hungry for money that they are leaving out such good things. (GBA SP= more money on the same shitty GBA spec btw, so don't get me started on that)
Lastly, XBox nearly jumped ahead of Gamecube in November. It does not matter where you look, XBox is suppose to pull ahead of gamecube in 2003. (it won't touch PS2, and my reasoning for that will come in my PS2 bashing post)
Another thing is the simple fact of backwars compatibility. PS2 plays dvds released years ago, and it plays psx games. Due to the marvels of a modchip XBox plays DVDS out of the box, and it playes arcade games, snes, atari, dos games,game boy games, and so much more.
The other thing is the simple fact that Nintendo does not have the older market at all. GBA SP is taregted at older audiences. Ninteno is sold to kids much more then adults. N64 was killed by PSX in sales because people over 25 bought PSX, brand new. PS2 stays above for the same reasons, and when DOAX and XBox does not have this problem (considering DOAX is top sold, and it has a +17 rating).
Finally, most people who bought Gamecube at launch are Nintendo fan boys. They'll but out they're gamecube and play metroid, and go look, this is not on ps2 or xbox. So what, halo is not on ps2 or gc. gta3 is not on xbox or gc.

So, in conclusion, in my opinion, Nintendo's last good system was N64. Until they improve they are image, the are destined to become the next sega, with the exception that the portable market profits will always hold them up.