What's new

X-Box Vs GameCube

Stezo2k

S-2K
64ultramaniac said:

J. Carmack said that xbox's gpu is actually a gf4 so where is the lie about that...

Nah its definatly a modified Geforce 3, it doesnt matter any ways cuz theres hardly any difference in the geforce 2/3/4 apart from the speed difference & RAM and geforce 4 includes a few more features. Sorry to disagree with u a lot 64ultramaniac but this time i belive im right

Stez

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
Stezo2k said:
Nice 1 dude :) Dont blaim ya :D, if only dc games was still in production. Quite a lot of ppl are starting to like the dc now, Myselfm i extremly like it cuz its very good for emulation and the games are superb (shenmue, sonic2, Hod2, Unreal, Quake3, Virtua Tennis 2k2, Crazy Taxi, Code veronica, need i say more :p)

I'd say ps2 would possibly come out on top in the console war cuz the games are just superb and even segas developing a few games for it:) And also ppl who liked playstation (a huge amount) will more than likely stay with sony.

But GC looks very promising, with sega helping nintendo as if it was their console, squaresoft coming out with a FF, nintendos great lineup of games, and capcoms excellent resident evil series.

Stez [/B]

Yeah mate, I agree with all the points u got above, PS2 has more good games, even because it is on the scene since 2 years! :cool: Xbox has too many PC like games.. I love the GCN because it has its own games (Nintendo mostly) that noone can have (and that i love ofcourse) so that's why i'll get it. But now I feel good with my lil DC, i'm trying to get the emulators working and other nice stuff, and it's very funny to work on it!

I hope that Sega will release a DC II though.. one day maybe.. who knows.. *dreaming* :)

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:
64ultramaniac said:

J. Carmack said that xbox's gpu is actually a gf4 so where is the lie about that...

Nah its definatly a modified Geforce 3, it doesnt matter any ways cuz theres hardly any difference in the geforce 2/3/4 apart from the speed difference & RAM and geforce 4 includes a few more features. Sorry to disagree with u a lot 64ultramaniac but this time i belive im right

Stez

GF3 and 4 are about the same feature wise, only 4 has a lot better quality, faster, and cheaper to build components (processor, memory, etc). GF2 lacks several features which all next generation games (namely doom3 and UT2) will use.

The GPU in an xbox is neither a GF3 nor a GF4, those are just names of chipsets for PC products, rather instead its a "custom chipset". But so far as speed, features, and the way it operates, etc, it most closesly resembles a GF4 ti 4600, only with 64mb of vram.

Last edited:
Stezo2k said:
Nah its definatly a modified Geforce 3 [/B]
"The X-Box GPU is more of a GF4 than a GF3,but a modern pc is generally much higher end than an X-Box" - J. Carmack
You can read it here if you don't believe me...This is nothing personal for sure,but please try to be
100% sure about facts before you dispute someone else's posts.

Last edited:

nudetothis

Hey guys thanks for taking my defense against Harteex's little attempt at an insult, but really it's not necessary. He said I should concern myself with gaming more than I do hardware ..... and I do. That's why I bought a Gamecube, not an Xbox.:D

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Bleh, you`re the one that started with the insults ("It's for pimply runts who haven't seen enough R movies yet or gotten any mud for their turtle. " anyone?). Frankly, since I have all 3 consoles, I`m not suppose to give a shit, but you`re a fanboy, and of the rather hypocritical kind too (you`re the one that started the "is there a code to make them naked" thread, haven`t you?). I will lock this thread now, because I`m tired of all the bullshit around here.

Gorxon

Administrator
And, I'll open it again...

I find this discussion a bit interesting, although many bad points/insults, some of you guys have very good points.
So I decided to give this another try...sad to see some people who haven't learned to tolerate others opinions should ruin this thread...

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
What`s so interesting about it? We had the same one 3 months ago, and most of the fanboys that had spreaded crap then, are spreading the same crap now.

Last edited:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Well it is a discussion board, and people are entitled to their own opinion. And I wouldn't class this as spam yet, so we'll let it dangle for a bit.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Jaz said:
Well it is a discussion board, and people are entitled to their own opinion.
Unfortunately, the only "discussion" that we will see here is "my console is better than yours, and you suck". But hey, let it dangle :D

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
hehe nice thanks all
anyway i heard that microsoft is already working onto an hipotetic Xbox 2, is that true?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Naturally, you always gotta think about the future. Sony has already announced some time ago that they are working on a PS3.

Stezo2k

S-2K
yea and its suppost to include IBMs new hardware, which is suppost 2 be a hell of lot faster than top of the range pcs now :( i ope this comes to pc ;)

Stez

Gorxon

Administrator
Well, Xbox2 (which they are going to call something else as far as I've heard) is supposed to be some multimedia center which plays all sorts of media and has inet browser etc...MS is gonna try to take over the home market entirely, just wait and see...(and hopefully they won't make it)

As for PS3, Sony said that they are going to make PS3 a thousand times faster than PS2...so, Moore's law is too slow for them. Some ppl say that they are looking into using many PS3's connected together to make them more powerful...
The way they are going to do that is that you lend your PS3's power to other people playing on the inet while you don't use it, and then you borrow power from other PS3's idling when you play...sounds crazy to me, especially since not so many people have broadband...anyone heard something other than this about PS3?

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Gorxon: I think that's basically it. Sony aren't saying much more because they are just trying to drive the hype. They are just shouting out numbers like '1000 times better' without actually giving any details (except for that it will rely on a network, and it takes about 2 mins of thought to realise that it will never work out).

blizz

to make the hardware 1000 times powerful with moores law still in effect means two things

a) break moores law
b) dual or more processors (and we all remember the saturn right?) ;)

zorbid

Because of bad strategic choices (marketting, hardware) and the financial situation of Sega at the time they released it.

The dual sh2 had to be coded in asm (like any older console). Most game coders didn't know how to do that correctly(apart from sega's, who had some experience because some Sega's arcade machine had dual proc setup).

The psx came out with a pc sdk, and had a dedicated C compiler. --> much easier to code.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I read somewhere (can't remember where, so don't ask), that the PS2 is kinda a prototype of the PS3. Apparently the PS3 will take the `casual gamer` to another level, with the usual DVD and other non-games-related features. Which sucks. IMO. :p