What's new

Windows 98

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Slougi said:
Xp is supposedly slightly faster (I have noticed the opposite), and has better support for old apps.

For XP to function better then Win2K you'll need a load of ram. I went from 256 to 768 and when I dual boot I find that XP has an amazing speed increase and Win2K speeds up just a bit

:)

crhylove

Banned
cutesy features

and overall lag are why i haven't switched yet. but i may yet, is anyone an experienced wine/debian user that could steer me in that direction instead?

just curious.
rhy

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Well any other os (beside ME) is fine with me. Windows ME is the crappiest os ever developed by Microsoft. Can anyone tell me why ME is a bad OS?:!!!: I can't figure it out. Really....

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Hi schibo,

Why did you created this topic? Will your new emu only support XP? Or is this just a fun topic.

Btw windows 3.11 rules... :p

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
(NL)Falcon4ever said:
Btw windows 3.11 rules... :p

Cheater. I've got a copy of DOS 5.1 somewhere around here... :p

Btw, I think my laptop is exempt from the OS upgrade. It runs Win95 OSR2 :happy:

W2k / XP still seems to be the best, good I can stay put :)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I remember using it once upon a time, 286 me thinks.

I can't really remember it very well, I should find the install disk, copy the data to 3 1/2" floppies and install it again. It would be nice to work with a stable version of windows for once ;)

Slougi

;) I still have it on one of those big 5½ inch disks lol, I just need to find a working drive to copy it to some other medium.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Doomulation said:
As for it, XP is generally a thousand times more stable than previous OS (well, especially 98). However, it is buggy and seems to mess stuff up, which I really do blame MS for.

I'll try out these tips. Thanks.

is it me, or have u completely contradicted yourself. u say winxp is 1000x more stable, but is "buggy and seems to mess stuff up" :/ .

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Slougi said:
;) I still have it on one of those big 5½ inch disks lol, I just need to find a working drive to copy it to some other medium.

I've got a predecessor of MSDOS on 8" floppies. :bunny: They get read by a drive with a 3" diameter stepper motor in the back! :happy:

Oh, I should take a pic of my complete timeline of CPUs... Z80 & 8088 to 386, 486 & 608030 to P2 / P4...

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
sk8bloke22 said:

is it me, or have u completely contradicted yourself. u say winxp is 1000x more stable, but is "buggy and seems to mess stuff up" :/ .

It's true. Windows XP is buggy and it does mess stuff up. Windows ME was just 1000 times more so. :p

Slougi

Well what would an example of the bugginess be? I haven't experienced any myself until now, but it's nice to know about the bugs to be prepared :)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
A friend of mine had one of his games install DX5 under XP, and then he couldn't get back to 8.1, he had to reformat. Which is highly dangerous in XP, do it to many times and you're screwed. Another friend of mine was having severe network probs, and once had his entire profile (everything in Documents and Settings, too) deleted without warning.